Penny already in midseason form

Michael K.

Re: Penny already in midseason form

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 am

I can see it happening during games or even practice but the COUNTLESS injuries guys get during the offseason doing controlled solo work outs is complete insanity.
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but has Penny come into one single pre season without some kind of health issue? Pretty sure from his rookie season on he has had something before we ever even really get going. If he was out of shape because his wrist was injured, what is going to happen with a bad hammy?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm
D-train wrote:

I can see it happening during games or even practice but the COUNTLESS injuries guys get during the offseason doing controlled solo work outs is complete insanity.
I am not trying to sound like an ass, but has Penny come into one single pre season without some kind of health issue? Pretty sure from his rookie season on he has had something before we ever even really get going. If he was out of shape because his wrist was injured, what is going to happen with a bad hammy?
Maybe he is googling "Best upper body only cardio workouts" as we type.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm

D-train wrote:

I think it's more perception than insanity.

Professional athletes work out differently than you or I - way more intense, way more often.

Couple of things out of that - 1, there's a lot more opportunity for minor injuries and 2, any small little muscle tweak has more of an impact. Think about it - if we get a crick in our neck or our shoulder is sore, we just don't go to the gym and sit on the couch. We don't even think about it. Their entire routine is interrupted, and they have to report it to the team and see a doctor.

With that, any injury becomes a headline, and with the way they do it now, they just report "he has a hamstring" which could be anything from it feeling tight so they're staying off it for a day to a full tear.

Final point, there are thousands of players in the NFL, even more if you include other sports (each team has 100 players or so on the roster at this point of the season), and you hear of a handful of injuries. If you hear about 10 guys on the team with little offseason injuries, that means 90 don't.

Addendum: I know this doesn't apply to 25 year old elite athletes, but I know MY body gets constant aches and pains that are a result of years of little sports injuries. At different times, I badly injured my elbow, shoulder, wrist and thumb on my dominant arm, plus bad knees, broken ankles, cracked ribs, etc etc. Most of these healed pretty well, but now they just hurt and/or don't move the right way. I literally can't throw a ball any more (well I can, but I throw like a girl now). This is like an old car where all the things start breaking. With elite athletes, the problem isn't time, but mileage. All those little dings and bruises they play thru add up.

douche

Post by douche » Wed May 25, 2022 4:05 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm
D-train wrote:

I would think that Pete and John see a lot of upside in Penny, but being acutely aware of his injury history (re: Prosise) along with Carson's issues, resulted in the drafting of Walker.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm
D-train wrote:

I think it's more perception than insanity.

Professional athletes work out differently than you or I - way more intense, way more often.

Couple of things out of that - 1, there's a lot more opportunity for minor injuries and 2, any small little muscle tweak has more of an impact. Think about it - if we get a crick in our neck or our shoulder is sore, we just don't go to the gym and sit on the couch. We don't even think about it. Their entire routine is interrupted, and they have to report it to the team and see a doctor.

With that, any injury becomes a headline, and with the way they do it now, they just report "he has a hamstring" which could be anything from it feeling tight so they're staying off it for a day to a full tear.

Final point, there are thousands of players in the NFL, even more if you include other sports (each team has 100 players or so on the roster at this point of the season), and you hear of a handful of injuries. If you hear about 10 guys on the team with little offseason injuries, that means 90 don't.

Addendum: I know this doesn't apply to 25 year old elite athletes, but I know MY body gets constant aches and pains that are a result of years of little sports injuries. At different times, I badly injured my elbow, shoulder, wrist and thumb on my dominant arm, plus bad knees, broken ankles, cracked ribs, etc etc. Most of these healed pretty well, but now they just hurt and/or don't move the right way. I literally can't throw a ball any more (well I can, but I throw like a girl now). This is like an old car where all the things start breaking. With elite athletes, the problem isn't time, but mileage. All those little dings and bruises they play thru add up.
I must have jinxed myself. I haven't been working out but now that I think of it my low back had been killing me for a week and this morning I wake up and my forearm is so inexplicably sore I might have to drink left handed tonight! lol
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:12 pm

The problem is football players concentrate on strength and building muscle when they need to throw a bunch more flexibility into the equation. If you cross train swimming into your weight training regime you will find that you get a lot less muscle injuries because swimming works the entire hammy by elonginating and strengthening the entire muscle creating flexibility instead of not just where the squats and leg lifts get you. Now the more you swim you do get a chance for more ligament damage through high usage, but if you are just crosstraining you will find those repetitive injuries almost non-existent.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun May 29, 2022 3:14 pm

With the amount of science involved in the exercise community these days, I really don't think many of these guys are getting injured because they just hit the weights all day and aren't doing any functional training or flexibility work.

Jack Merridew

Post by Jack Merridew » Sun May 29, 2022 3:46 pm

What they really need is a li'l more of the ol'...

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:45 am

OTA Notes:

Running back Rashaad Penny was back participating after getting days off last week for a minor hamstring strain.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:59 am

trharder wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:45 am
OTA Notes:

Running back Rashaad Penny was back participating after getting days off last week for a minor hamstring strain.
Yep, saw video with him and the 3 other RBs. He looked fine. PC says we will get news on CC "Soon"
dt