Can the offense be better despite a QB downgrade?

D-train

Re: Can the offense be better despite a QB downgrade?

Post by D-train » Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:02 am
There are 26 players currently on the roster that weigh 265 lbs or more. 16 that weigh 300+. Anazing how much bigger athletes can get these days.
Yeah its bizarre. Usually the evolution of a species takes thousands, even millions of years. What has happened in the past 45-50 to increase their sizes by about 20-25%??? Selective breeding or do they just eat more? lol
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 am

Probably better nutrition during childhood years compared to 50+ years ago but more recently i don't know what's changed.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue May 31, 2022 5:26 am

Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 am
Probably better nutrition during childhood years compared to 50+ years ago but more recently i don't know what's changed.
A much larger US population, Today the USA is over 1/3rd of a billion.
2022 333000000
2000 282000000
1980 227000000 ( iN 42 YEARS THE us HAS ADDED 100 MILLION WHILE HAVING ESSENTIALLY REPLACEMENT LEVEL BIRTH RATES)
1960 180000000
1950 152000000 ( US population more than doubles in less than a lifetime

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 31, 2022 5:35 am

What does that have to do with football players being 20-25% bigger in less than half a century.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 am

It could be but it depends on how quickly and well the crop we drafted develops. I liked nearly every draft pick:
What if the reply is yes to:
Did we draft 2 +starter level tackles that maybe make pro bowls?
Is Mafe that bookend type that teams well with Taylor, Nwoso, and Smith
How good are the tackles Ford, QJeff, Shelby Harris, and Woods? pressure up the middle anyone?
How does Diggs and Adams come back from injuries and perform up to $
Corners: Jones Rd. 2 (considered 1st rd material), Tre B 4th, Kobie (Thorpe) Bryant, Tariq freak athlete, and Coleman play?

The Hawks have Pro-Bowl or near that level at every skill position except QB.
TE Noah Fant was a 1st Rd. with not so good QB play but still had 68 receptions for 670 yards and 4 TDs which is about his normal production level.
Dissly and Colby are decent enough depth.
WR DK, TLock are among the best duo in the game or at least were with WIlson. Behind the top 2 you have speed in abundance in Marquise Goodwin, Dee E, Bo M, and a poor man's DK in DAreke Young 6'4" 225# 4.43 40 and Swain

RBs Penny, Walker, CArson, Dallas. If Carson returns that is a loaded group. If Penny some back like late-season Penny?
That said the best of the bunch may be Walker who runs a fast 4.38 40 on a hard to find even harder to tackle 5'9" 212# frame

The O-line I feel good about the 2 tackles and depth behind them in Curhan
I think Lewis is good, I like Haynes better than the presumed starter in overpriced Gabe Jackson who was good for maybe 1 or 2 years a long time ago.
C I think Blythe will be OK but that is about it.

Hmm, I think we all saw how great Russ was at the QB skills competitions with his deep-ball accuracy. He blows the comp away. But, was Russ capable of being a Bill Walsh style read the defense and "Omaha" an audible to the correct counter?

Did Russ's height have its obvious Fran Tarkentan illusive advantage but also have not so obvious visually disadvantages?

Was the run-run-run and than unleash Russ something Pete did to protect him from injuries while keeping him healthy for the playoff run?

There are so many questions from how well players come back from injuries to how well players avoid injuries?
Development?
Scheme are the Seahawks suddenly going to be a BIll B, Andy Reid, Walsh, type strategy guru?

All in all I like the draft picks but how do we compare or rank the 21 Hawks
w/L
7/10
BUT point differential is +29

There were reports that Russ checked out last year.

I think the drop from among the elite playmakers on 3rd down supports this. I think the fact Russ was among the leaders in game-winning 4th Q drives throughout his career and drops to zero supports this. I think if your leader checks out you can't help but improve.

Drew Lock was considered the #2 QB behind Kyler M in 2019
https://www.nfl.com/news/2019-nfl-draft ... 0001027519

Geno is 6'3" and did run a 4.56 when he was young but what is his speed now? He had a 2-year run as a starter where he had more picks than TDs. He will be 32 and has good stats rate-wise as a Hawk but is that because he has developed or because the OPPO doesn't even respect him enough to game plan for him?

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue May 31, 2022 7:43 am

Tue May 31, 2022 5:35 am
What does that have to do with football players being 20-25% bigger in less than half a century.
So many more lottery picks at uber athletes.
added to:
Better nutrition
The development of human capital. In the modern West even poor people have more than enough food to eat vs throughout most of human history most people endured starvation as a basic fact of life.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 31, 2022 2:58 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:20 am
Michael K. wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm
OK, but what I would look at is we probably upgraded at both Tackle positions, added a young stud at RB, and because the defense should be better we might be able to play with less desperation?
I'm not sure we can say we upgraded both tackle positions. HOPEFULLY we did, but replacing two proven vets, one of which was a perennial pro bowler, with two rookies is no sure thing.

And I don't know why everybody seems to think the defense will be better. What have we upgraded? We lost our best CB, our top 4 DEs and a HOF MLB. We all were glad to see KN Jr go, but I am not sold on Hurtt yet (I haven't written him off, either. He is a wild card). I not only think our defense isn't better, I think it's significantly worse. Barring unforeseen signings, it would take multiple rookies to be flat-out studs to even get back to the same level talent-wise. A lot hinges on the scheme... and if that's why people are confident, then OK - but I'm in a wait-and-see mode.

I'm excited to see the young guys and what they can do, but I've seen too many flame out to be as excited as you guys.
You could be right. Maybe I am putting too much faith in the scheme finally be upgraded. Wags was good, but we basically asked him to chase down WRs and tackle them after they got a 1st Down. It was so fucking painful to watch, and made zero sense. No one could have had much success the way we played defense the first half or more of the season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 31, 2022 3:26 pm

It is definitely a concern. Last couple seasons after RW throws a couple pics, PC abandons the Offensive game plan and we are right back to 1970s football.

Hopefully after the first time the D gets beat deep he won't issue orders to go back to the 8 yard cushions on 3rd and 3.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Tue May 31, 2022 4:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 am
There are 26 players currently on the roster that weigh 265 lbs or more. 16 that weigh 300+. Anazing how much bigger athletes can get these days.
Yeah its bizarre. Usually the evolution of a species takes thousands, even millions of years. What has happened in the past 45-50 to increase their sizes by about 20-25%??? Selective breeding or do they just eat more? lol
A combination of things... they certainly consume a lot of calories. In addition, there are a lot of hormones involved... in meat and milk, hormones are added through production. Steroid hormones are given to beef cattle to make them grow faster, build more muscle and make their meat leaner. Two-thirds of all cattle and about 90 percent of the cattle on feedlots in the United States are given hormones.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 31, 2022 4:24 pm

douche wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:06 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 am
A combination of things... they certainly consume a lot of calories. In addition, there are a lot of hormones involved... in meat and milk, hormones are added through production. Steroid hormones are given to beef cattle to make them grow faster, build more muscle and make their meat leaner. Two-thirds of all cattle and about 90 percent of the cattle on feedlots in the United States are given hormones.
I wonder if the NFL subsidizes these feed lots? :lol:
dt