Can the offense be better despite a QB downgrade?

D-train

Can the offense be better despite a QB downgrade?

Post by D-train » Sun May 29, 2022 1:56 pm

dt

Michael K.

Re: Can the offense be better despite a QB downgrade?

Post by Michael K. » Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm

They might be, but I believe it will be a style and player allocation thing, not because of the QB. The article talks about his desire to go deep and his struggles in 3rd downcast year. OK, but what I would look at is we probably upgraded at both Tackle positions, added a young stud at RB, and because the defense should be better we might be able to play with less desperation?

Maybe, the truth is we are going to be average at best, and that is OK. The real truth comes after next season when we still have draft picks and cap space. Something Denver will not have.

douche

Post by douche » Sun May 29, 2022 10:28 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm
They might be, but I believe it will be a style and player allocation thing, not because of the QB. The article talks about his desire to go deep and his struggles in 3rd downcast year. OK, but what I would look at is we probably upgraded at both Tackle positions, added a young stud at RB, and because the defense should be better we might be able to play with less desperation?

Maybe, the truth is we are going to be average at best, and that is OK. The real truth comes after next season when we still have draft picks and cap space. Something Denver will not have.
Agreed.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 30, 2022 2:14 am

They will have the SB run

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 30, 2022 4:20 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm
OK, but what I would look at is we probably upgraded at both Tackle positions, added a young stud at RB, and because the defense should be better we might be able to play with less desperation?
I'm not sure we can say we upgraded both tackle positions. HOPEFULLY we did, but replacing two proven vets, one of which was a perennial pro bowler, with two rookies is no sure thing.

And I don't know why everybody seems to think the defense will be better. What have we upgraded? We lost our best CB, our top 4 DEs and a HOF MLB. We all were glad to see KN Jr go, but I am not sold on Hurtt yet (I haven't written him off, either. He is a wild card). I not only think our defense isn't better, I think it's significantly worse. Barring unforeseen signings, it would take multiple rookies to be flat-out studs to even get back to the same level talent-wise. A lot hinges on the scheme... and if that's why people are confident, then OK - but I'm in a wait-and-see mode.

I'm excited to see the young guys and what they can do, but I've seen too many flame out to be as excited as you guys.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon May 30, 2022 8:14 am

Losing Reed hurts but they added Coleman and Burns at CB as well as drafting Bryant.

On the D line the additions of Harris and Jefferson will hopefully offset the losses of Dunlap and Green.

Mafe at outside LB should be an improvent over Mayowa

Nwosu is no Wagner but still a decent addition at LB.

What is worrisome to me is the safety situation with Diggs and Adams returning from injuries that required surgery. They added nothing to provide depth behind either of them.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 30, 2022 2:24 pm

Pretty good piece on the rookies. Well worth the read if only for the hilarious line about Penny's hammy.

https://12thmanrising.com/2022/05/29/se ... ady-start/
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Next year's crop of QB's should be better than this past season so I believe they are going to work with the new guys, see what they have, and improve at positions through maturity. Then next year, they look for the QB of the future. I don't expect much this season. Perhaps a .500 record, which is OK by me as it will improve the draft position. Then look at that QB who will improve the team record while drafting players who will fill in for those who didn't pan out this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 am

This is wild. The biggest guy on the 1976 Hawks was 6'5" 265lb. There is also a 215lb LB. lol

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... roster.htm
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 31, 2022 2:02 am

There are 26 players currently on the roster that weigh 265 lbs or more. 16 that weigh 300+. Anazing how much bigger athletes can get these days.