PFF power rankings

Donn Beach

Re: PFF power rankings

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:46 pm

That's where PFF has him going
5. ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA (RS SOPHOMORE | 6-4, 237 POUNDS) The fifth spot on this list was hotly contested, with the likes of Miami’s Tyler Van Dyke, BYU’s Jaren Hall, South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler, Boston College’s Phil Jurkovec and North Carolina State’s Devin Leary all capable of climbing draft boards next season. Ultimately, Richardson’s all-around physical skill set trumps all of them. He stands out physically at the collegiate level in the way top recruits do at the high school level

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:01 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:46 pm
That's where PFF has him going
. 5. ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA (RS SOPHOMORE | 6-4, 237 POUNDS) The fifth spot on this list was hotly contested, with the likes of Miami’s Tyler Van Dyke, BYU’s Jaren Hall, South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler, Boston College’s Phil Jurkovec and North Carolina State’s Devin Leary all capable of climbing draft boards next season. Ultimately, Richardson’s all-around physical skill set trumps all of them. He stands out physically at the collegiate level in the way top recruits do at the high school level
Wow, I had never heard his name. Obviously if he has a great season this Fall it could happen but INSANE to put him at 5 right now. He has shown NOTHING on the field.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:19 pm

Here he is projected to go sixth to the Panthers. It's click bait, projecting the draft this early, it's interesting how highly regarded he is. But it's a projection that's up to the player to live up to. If he goes in the 3rd round it's on the player not living up to his potential more than being on scouts missing it.
. The Panthers, however, should start scouting the 2023 signal-callers. I'm not so sure they view Matt Corral as a long-term option, and Sam Darnold will be off the books after this season. Plus, Carolina could have a new regime in place, especially if it's picking this early again. Now, Richardson is a huge projection -- the 6-foot-4, 236-pound passer played in just eight games and started once last year -- and has some turnover issues. But he's extremely talented and poised for a breakout season in his first as a full-time starter.

Enter Richardson, who is one of the most physically dominant QBs in the SEC and all of college football, built similarly to former Panthers QB Cam Newton, who spent time at Florida before eventually making his way to Auburn and subsequently becoming the No. 1 overall selection by Carolina in 2011.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:47 pm

it's like people never learn. How many of these great physical specimens ended up being great NFL QBs? How many flamed out completely?

I can't think of any of the physically dominant QBs that scouts drooled over doing anything, but I remember a lot of Jeff Georges and Jamarcus Russells.

Give me a guy that has a proven track record of wins. Alternatively, somebody that's super mobile like Mahommes, Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray - these types don't tend to stay great for 20 years, but you get 5 or 6 of good play.

I don't know anything about the guy, but if he hasn't even played yet and they're basing it off his size and arm strength, I'm not into it. If he shows ability to read defenses, make smart decisions and win games, I'll gladly change my tune.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:04 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:47 pm
it's like people never learn. How many of these great physical specimens ended up being great NFL QBs? How many flamed out completely?

I can't think of any of the physically dominant QBs that scouts drooled over doing anything, but I remember a lot of Jeff Georges and Jamarcus Russells.

Give me a guy that has a proven track record of wins. Alternatively, somebody that's super mobile like Mahommes, Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray - these types don't tend to stay great for 20 years, but you get 5 or 6 of good play.

I don't know anything about the guy, but if he hasn't even played yet and they're basing it off his size and arm strength, I'm not into it. If he shows ability to read defenses, make smart decisions and win games, I'll gladly change my tune.
Exactly. Its like the Mariners taking a kid in the first round last summer because he was athletic and a power lifter. He didn't even hit .300 in HIGH SCHOOL and now shocker spoiler alert he isn't hitting in low A ball. :shock: :?
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:22 pm

But nobody's taking anybody, it's not about a proven track record, it's predicting the future. He will have a track record by the time the actual draft comes around. He is there in your 2023 draft class to watch, but a lot could happen

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:22 pm
But nobody's taking anybody, it's not about a proven track record, it's predicting the future. He will have a track record by the time the actual draft comes around. He is there in your 2023 draft class to watch, but a lot could happen
Yes, very different situation. It would be like if someone took him in the first round six weeks ago.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:38 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:38 pm

This insistence on keeping Toro in the lineup is getting pretty F-ing old.
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:38 pm

As long as we're taking this thread in different directions, did anyone notice Walter's 6th pick projection - Kellee Ringo? In high school that guy played opposite Trent McDuffie on the other side, and Ringo was the far higher-rated prospect. Imagine trying to throw against those guys at that level!