Here we go again. DK skipping Mini camp

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: Here we go again. DK skipping Mini camp

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:23 pm

DT, can you explain how an offense can build a team around a wide receiver?
I have always found that WR's can easily be taken out of games by double coverage....thus if you build a team around them, you team is shit by something as simple as double coverage.

A team around a running back, I can understand. If they stack the box, you throw the ball.
A team around a QB, the defense has to play even.
But a WR?

I have also found that most WR's are so overly arrogant that if they are double-teamed with a little safety help, they will still want the ball. They will cry they are not getting it enough. They are the most prissy players on the field. Then when the QB throws them the ball, and it's picked, they will just say that it was a bad throw.

I SAY TRADE HIM!!

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:39 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:23 pm
I have always found that WR's can easily be taken out of games by double coverage....thus if you build a team around them, you team is shit by something as simple as double coverage.

A team around a running back, I can understand. If they stack the box, you throw the ball.
But a WR?

I have also found that most WR's are so overly arrogant that if they are double-teamed with a little safety help, they will still want the ball. They will cry they are not getting it enough. They are the most prissy players on the field. Then when the QB throws them the ball, and it's picked, they will just say that it was a bad throw.

I SAY TRADE HIM!!
Why are you asking me?
dt

douche

Post by douche » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:03 pm

But a WR?

I SAY TRADE HIM!!
I would take a first rounder for this guy without hesitation. I'm quite certain there's a team out there that would make that offer.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:21 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:03 pm

But a WR?

I SAY TRADE HIM!!
I would take a first rounder for this guy without hesitation. I'm quite certain there's a team out there that would make that offer.
I would like to see what he can do with a good QB. :) He made 14 catches on 18 targets with Geno at QB and on 61 on 111 with RW.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:26 pm

That's fair, but Kupp just signed a huge 3 year deal with $75 million guaranteed. Metcalf will be expensive.

And how much will he be utilized in Carroll's, er, I mean Waldron's, offense?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:49 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:26 pm
That's fair, but Kupp just signed a huge 3 year deal with $75 million guaranteed. Metcalf will be expensive.

And how much will he be utilized in Carroll's, er, I mean Waldron's, offense?
Draft picks are FAR less expensive to pay and it is also a crap shoot if they pan out. We need at least a couple proven stars on this team and WR is the only place we have them at the moment.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:03 pm

But a WR?
You build a team around a QB, or a defense. Around one RB? Foolish, because that guy IS getting hurt. One WR? Nope. QB, sure. Offensive philosophy? Sure. A rock solid Defense? Sure. But a Running Back? Fuck no. Todd Gurley was the MVP of the league, the Rams went to shit when his knee went to shit. Well, not to shit, but they scored what, 3 points in the Super Bowl? I would build my team around an O Line before I ever built it around a Running Back.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:39 pm

But a WR?

I SAY TRADE HIM!!
Why are you asking me?
I'm asking you becasue you posted this:
The stark truth is that the Seahawks need DK Metcalf more than Metcalf needs them. After trading Russell Wilson and releasing Bobby Wagner this offseason, Metcalf is the ideal person to retool around — a generational talent on the ascent who is just 24 and seems to love it in Seattle. If they did trade Metcalf, even Carroll would have to acknowledge this is a rebuilding season, and he is constitutionally opposed to that.

The ideal person to retool around. Doesn't that mean to build a team around?

As for building around a running back, that is more likely than receiver. Look what the Steelers did with Bettis and Harris. Looks what the Oilers did with Campbell. Look what the Browns did with Brown, or the Lions with Sanders. But then again, to have a great running game, you need a line (as Michael said).

Not many teams can build a winner around one receiver.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:40 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:39 pm

But a WR?

I SAY TRADE HIM!!
Why are you asking me?
I'm asking you becasue you posted this:
The stark truth is that the Seahawks need DK Metcalf more than Metcalf needs them. After trading Russell Wilson and releasing Bobby Wagner this offseason, Metcalf is the ideal person to retool around — a generational talent on the ascent who is just 24 and seems to love it in Seattle. If they did trade Metcalf, even Carroll would have to acknowledge this is a rebuilding season, and he is constitutionally opposed to that.

The ideal person to retool around. Doesn't that mean to build a team around?

As for building around a running back, that is more likely than receiver. Look what the Steelers did with Bettis and Harris. Looks what the Oilers did with Campbell. Look what the Browns did with Brown, or the Lions with Sanders. But then again, to have a great running game, you need a line (as Michael said).

Not many teams can build a winner around one receiver.
:lol: My name isn't Larry Stone.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:10 pm

The Titans built their team around a RB. Then he got hurt and they lost a home playoff game as the #1 seed coming off a bye. Running Game? Yes. Running BACK? No.

This is why, IMO, good teams draft RBs, bad teams pay RBs.