Here we go again. DK skipping Mini camp

trharder

Re: Here we go again. DK skipping Mini camp

Post by trharder » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:37 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:08 pm
I would trade him. Get yourself a third first round pick for next season. All signs point to them pounding the rock anyway so why the heck would you want to tie up a bunch of money in both Lockett and Metcalf?
Lockett, Goodwin, Swain, Eskridge, Fant, Dissley. There are enough reasonable options there for the amount of times that they will be throwing it. Keep Metcalf around and there will inevitably be squawking about him not getting enough targets.
Hate to say it, but you may be right. I think Pete really does want to keep him as a weapon, but it would be interesting to know if
there are any trade partners available that would be willing to give a 1st.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:44 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:37 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:08 pm
I would trade him. Get yourself a third first round pick for next season. All signs point to them pounding the rock anyway so why the heck would you want to tie up a bunch of money in both Lockett and Metcalf?
Lockett, Goodwin, Swain, Eskridge, Fant, Dissley. There are enough reasonable options there for the amount of times that they will be throwing it. Keep Metcalf around and there will inevitably be squawking about him not getting enough targets.
Hate to say it, but you may be right. I think Pete really does want to keep him as a weapon, but it would be interesting to know if
there are any trade partners available that would be willing to give a 1st.
Are you joking. We had to give up TWO firsts for Adams.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:45 pm

Alternate opinion
By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
RENTON — On an otherwise glorious day alongside Lake Washington, a little bit of gloom was dumped into the Seahawks’ world on Tuesday.

Now, whether this evolves into a full-fledged storm remains to be seen. Logic says that wide receiver DK Metcalf, who was conspicuously absent from the first day of Seattle’s minicamp at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center, will find suitable financial happiness with the Seahawks before the situation spins out of control.

Yet the fact that Metcalf is taking the unexpected step of sitting out the three-day minicamp can only be interpreted one way: The wide receiver extraordinaire is dissatisfied with the fact that he does not yet have the contract extension that everyone knows is due to come his way eventually.

And another thing that is undeniable: Regardless of how far this rift goes, this is a troublesome development for the Seahawks as they embark on a season of vast transition. Even though Metcalf wouldn’t have been on the field anyway as he recovers from foot surgery, they don’t need any distractions or dissension to creep into Pete Carroll’s sunny world as he tries to mesh a new quarterback, new staff and new defensive system.

The Seahawks would tell you they have their own timetable for these things, and it will eventually get done when that time is right — presumably closer to the start of training camp in late July. And right up until Tuesday, it appeared that Metcalf was totally on board. In fact, the lack of rancor throughout the offseason was remarkable. Carroll said in March, “There’s no way I could imagine playing without him” and praised the way Metcalf was handling his unsettled contract situation. And Metcalf said on Shannon Sharpe’s podcast in May, “It’s all smiles right now.”

It’s impossible to know if those smiles have turned into frowns, or maybe just a look of serious concern. Maybe Metcalf is just trying to send a friendly message that it’s time to pick up the pace. But considering the volatile world of star wide receivers in the NFL this offseason, it’s ominous to even have the door to a contract impasse cracked open at all. Bob Condotta reported Tuesday that Metcalf’s absence is not being excused by the Seahawks, which subjects him to up to $93,000 in fines — another indication that the singing of “Kumbaya” between the two sides has been interrupted.

To refresh your memory, since the Super Bowl, these stellar wide receivers have been traded: Tyreek Hill, Davonte Adams, Amari Cooper, A.J. Brown and Marquise Brown — among others. Brown, one of Metcalf’s best friends, helped set the rapidly exploding receiver market by signing a four-year, $100 million contract. That, no doubt, is a guideline for the deal Metcalf is seeking, especially since they share the same agent, Tory Dandy of CAA sports.

Dandy also represents 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel, who like Brown and Metcalf was heading into the final year of his rookie deal this year and has requested a trade. There’s no indication that Metcalf wants to be traded — he’s indicated the opposite, in fact, but ESPN reported that the Seahawks were receiving calls from teams interested in Metcalf. They have been telling them they weren’t shopping the receiver, ESPN said — and that’s the stance the Seahawks need to continue to take as they hash out a new contract.

I wrote the other day about how the Seahawks are searching for a new face of the franchise — and that Metcalf is the likeliest candidate to take over that distinction. That’s only one of myriad reasons that the Seahawks should be motivated to not let this relationship unravel.

The stark truth is that the Seahawks need DK Metcalf more than Metcalf needs them. After trading Russell Wilson and releasing Bobby Wagner this offseason, Metcalf is the ideal person to retool around — a generational talent on the ascent who is just 24 and seems to love it in Seattle. If they did trade Metcalf, even Carroll would have to acknowledge this is a rebuilding season, and he is constitutionally opposed to that.

But Metcalf also wants to be paid, and will get paid, whether it’s in Seattle or elsewhere. I still believe the deal will get done with the Seahawks, and this absence is an unpleasantry that will be quickly forgotten. Yes, Metcalf is missing some bonding time with the new quarterbacks and the rest of the receivers’ room; there’s plenty of time to make up for that. But if his contract situation is still unresolved when training camp rolls around, then it will be time to ratchet up the storm warnings.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:45 pm
Alternate opinion
By Larry Stone
To refresh your memory, since the Super Bowl, these stellar wide receivers have been traded: Tyreek Hill, Davonte Adams, Amari Cooper, A.J. Brown and Marquise Brown — among others. Brown, one of Metcalf’s best friends, helped set the rapidly exploding receiver market by signing a four-year, $100 million contract. That, no doubt, is a guideline for the deal Metcalf is seeking, especially since they share the same agent, Tory Dandy of CAA sports.

I wrote the other day about how the Seahawks are searching for a new face of the franchise — and that Metcalf is the likeliest candidate to take over that distinction. That’s only one of myriad reasons that the Seahawks should be motivated to not let this relationship unravel.

The stark truth is that the Seahawks need DK Metcalf more than Metcalf needs them. After trading Russell Wilson and releasing Bobby Wagner this offseason, Metcalf is the ideal person to retool around — a generational talent on the ascent who is just 24 and seems to love it in Seattle. If they did trade Metcalf, even Carroll would have to acknowledge this is a rebuilding season, and he is constitutionally opposed to that.
What, to sell jerseys? If you are likely to win 5-7 games with DK, are you really putting them team in grave danger to be without him and his contract? lol

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:17 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:45 pm
Alternate opinion
By Larry Stone

What, to sell jerseys? If you are likely to win 5-7 games with DK, are you really putting them team in grave danger to be without him and his contract? lol
I think there is a good argument to trade DK and I also think Stone is spot on in his prediction that PC won't consider it.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 pm
I think there is a good argument to trade DK and I also think Stone is spot on in his prediction that PC won't consider it.
I agree with you that Pete has NO intention of trading DK.
But, it's not because Pete is worried about who will be the face of the franchise or who needs who "more". Pete also is not worried about the arbitrary bar on whether Stone thinks Pete can continue to deny he's rebuilding.
We are fucking rebuilding.
If you want to make a good guess of how things will go down, study how it went down the first time when Pete first came here.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:49 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:41 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 pm
I agree with you that Pete has NO intention of trading DK.
But, it's not because Pete is worried about who will be the face of the franchise or who needs who "more". Pete also is not worried about the arbitrary bar on whether Stone thinks Pete can continue to deny he's rebuilding.
We are fucking rebuilding.
If you want to make a good guess of how things will go down, study how it went down the first time when Pete first came here.
Yep in year one of the rebuild we won 2 more games than the prior season. That's why I think we could sneak into the playoffs at 9-8 with an average QB.
123.JPG
123.JPG (25.97 KiB) Viewed 681 times
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm

Pete's biggest flaw in my opinion is the disconnect between the way he wants to play the game and the tallent that he falls in love with. He wants to play tough base defense run the ball and make the occasional deep throw off of play action. That's fine but then he falls in love with guys like Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin and jamal Adams and sinks a bunch of capital into them when they don't fit what he wants to do. DK fits into that category as far as I am concerned.

Dk is the type of talent that should be catching over 100 balls a year. That is never going to happen on a Pete Carrol team. Rather than pay him a bunch of money and underutilized him they need to take advantage of his value as an asset and use those resources for players that they can use to their full potential. Lockett is already your highest paid offensive player and now you are talking about having DK top him. If you want to be a run first offense, it makes no sense to have your two highest paid players be wide receivers. If you want to run the ball, trade DK for a 1st rounder and use the money that you would have spent on him to bring in the top O-lineman available in FA. Pete Carrol's philosophy requires a team that can control the line of scrimmage not a team full of flashy skill players.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:23 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm
Pete's biggest flaw in my opinion is the disconnect between the way he wants to play the game and the tallent that he falls in love with. He wants to play tough base defense run the ball and make the occasional deep throw off of play action. That's fine but then he falls in love with guys like Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin and jamal Adams and sinks a bunch of capital into them when they don't fit what he wants to do. DK fits into that category as far as I am concerned.

Dk is the type of talent that should be catching over 100 balls a year. That is never going to happen on a Pete Carrol team. Rather than pay him a bunch of money and underutilized him they need to take advantage of his value as an asset and use those resources for players that they can use to their full potential. Lockett is already your highest paid offensive player and now you are talking about having DK top him. If you want to be a run first offense, it makes no sense to have your two highest paid players be wide receivers. If you want to run the ball, trade DK for a 1st rounder and use the money that you would have spent on him to bring in the top O-lineman available in FA. Pete Carrol's philosophy requires a team that can control the line of scrimmage not a team full of flashy skill players.
We just drafted to Ts. Are are you going spend the $100M on a C?
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:23 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm

We just drafted to Ts. Are are you going spend the $100M on a C?
I am not expecting a 3rd round Tackle to be much more than depth. If he is then you can get a Center or a Guard if you can get them for less than what you would spend on DK then get two of them or spend the extra money on another position of need like Defensive line or corner. The point is spend the most money in the areas that will work with what you are trying to do in the big picture.