Platoon at RT?

D-train

Platoon at RT?

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Platoons are typically only used in baseball but I was thinking they might be able to make it work at RT. Curhan is obviously great at run blocking and Lucus at pass blocking. Now of course the big problem is are you tipping off teams to what your are going to do by who is in the game. I actually don't think so because you don't HAVE to pass when Lucus is in the game and you don't HAVE to run when Curhan is in the the game.

Just thinking when everyone knows you are going primarily run on a series (opening series of the game or when you have a two score lead in the fourth quarter) you go with Curhan and in obvious passing series, two minute drill or when you are down by two+ scores then you go with Lucus. You could even use them to psych out the defense. Bring in Lucus on a 3rd and 5 to get them to think pass and then run a draw play. Or bring in Curhan on 3rd and 1 and run a play action pass.

It would also obviously keep them both fresh and putting them in the best position to succeed by allowing them focusing on their primary talent.

Is this a crazy idea?
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Platoon at RT?

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm

I think that is a really good idea and if Curhan and Lucas are liabilities in pass and run situations respectively then i don't really see a downside to trying it.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:49 pm

I think the downside is the synergy of the offense line as opposed to the defensive line. Pass and run blocking are
carried out in conjunction with the players around you. I think the offense lines ability to operate as a unit would suffer if you tried to switch to that extent. Defense line sure, offensive line not so much

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:59 pm

But pass and run blocking are two different things so if they are primarily used in only one of those two situations i don't think it would disrupt things too much. But who knows, maybe it would cause Lucas or Curhan to feel under-appreciated and become disgruntled. I don't think it would effect the other linemen that much.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm
Did you hear the big news? Jake Heaps is quitting his talk show host job at 710espn in order to become Russell Wilson's "personal" QB coach. :?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:05 pm

As I understand it offense line blocking is a complicated process which involves a number of factors. There is a whole process to go through to begin to understand who you are assigned to block on any given play. I think there be more to it than switching them depending if it was a run or pass play

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:22 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm
Did you hear the big news? Jake Heaps is quitting his talk show host job at 710espn in order to become Russell Wilson's "personal" QB coach. :?
Yep. Here was my tweet on the subject.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Guessing he will make more money but I would MUCH rather hang with Stacy every day that look at RWs dopey face.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:51 pm

Since they used the term "personal coach" i take it he won't be a Broncos employee. I wonder if he is taking the place of RW's former life coach.