Huard: Should Seahawks go after 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo?

Donn Beach

Re: Huard: Should Seahawks go after 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo?

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:36 pm

Pete traded for Lock, and that after reviewing every pass he made from college through the pros as he has claimed. They didn't take a QB in the draft but for some reason without actually seeing Lock up close in the OTAs they decided they didn't like him after all, so now they are in the market for another qb... honestly, that doesn't even make sense

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:11 pm

1. What have we learned about the quarterback competition? And what are the chances of the Seahawks bringing in another veteran QB this summer?

Condotta: Due in part to the limitations of the offseason program — no pads, no contact — I’m not really sure we’ve learned much of anything yet. Geno Smith entered the offseason atop the depth chart due to his knowledge of the offense, and is still there heading into training camp. The real competition doesn’t start until training camp. Any other move the Seahawks might make to add to the QB spot probably won’t come until then, either. Will the Browns really cut Baker Mayfield or will the 49ers really release Jimmy Garoppolo? If so, then let the speculation really begin. But neither is likely to happen until camps begin (the earliest they can is July 26). If either becomes realistically available — meaning, Seattle not having to give up anything to get either and not paying a whole lot — then yeah, the Seahawks will consider it. Otherwise, every indication is Seattle will roll with Smith and Drew Lock as camp begins.

Jude: There wasn’t anything particularly revelatory about the QBs during these spring workouts; it’s difficult to glean much when players are not in full pads, and when defensive players are strictly limited on what they can and can’t do. That said, there was obvious intrigue about Lock in his first extended reps on the Seahawks practice field, and he certainly looks the part — big frame, big arm, nimble enough in the pocket. The real competition kicks off at training camp, and most observers expect Lock to make a serious run at the starting job. Limiting turnovers will have to be paramount for him to do so.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:13 pm
You could definitely be right but I don't think Geno taking all the 1st team snaps during the OTAs is a tell. If he is doing it in August and starts the preseason games then we can make definitive conclusions. There is just so much more upside for Lock to win the job that I think it gives him the edge.
That's what Brock was saying two weeks ago. Then this week he is talking like Lock is not happening. This is my point.

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:36 pm
Pete traded for Lock, and that after reviewing every pass he made from college through the pros as he has claimed. They didn't take a QB in the draft but for some reason without actually seeing Lock up close in the OTAs they decided they didn't like him after all, so now they are in the market for another qb... honestly, that doesn't even make sense
Lock was obviously not the primary reason for the RW trade.
Whether they recently decided Lock is not the guy, or they never did think he was the guy is not really the point. The point is all indicators are
pointing to Lock not going to be the day one starter.

If the Mayfield and Jimmy G rumors are BS, Geno is most likely the starter according to people I'm listening to.
I'm not a Jimmy G fan, if there are any of those.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm

I just don't get what going with Geno gets the franchise. Even if they think he is the better option right now, how many wins more than Lock. 1 or 2? So you go from a 6 win team to a 7 or 8 win team. That just gets you worse draft position.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:23 pm

What I've always found interesting is that these players at the NFL level are all capable of throwing a nice ball when there are no pads or contact involved. But when you put many of these same players in an actual game, everything goes out the window. A lot of them simply don't perform well under pressure. Any pressure. That guy who was throwing tight spirals in practice can no longer do it.

So much of the position is mental. Is your QB willing to take a hit to complete a pass? Does he panic when the defense blitzes? Can he even read a defense?

Perhaps Seattle's best strategy for the coming season is to go with the dumbest guy who is most prone to panic. :D

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:42 pm

:lol:
douche wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:23 pm
What I've always found interesting is that these players at the NFL level are all capable of throwing a nice ball when there are no pads or contact involved. But when you put many of these same players in an actual game, everything goes out the window. A lot of them simply don't perform well under pressure. Any pressure. That guy who was throwing tight spirals in practice can no longer do it.

So much of the position is mental. Is your QB willing to take a hit to complete a pass? Does he panic when the defense blitzes? Can he even read a defense?

Perhaps Seattle's best strategy for the coming season is to go with the dumbest guy who is most prone to panic. :D
Isn't that what they have been doing for the last couple of seasons? :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:02 pm

dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm
I just don't get what going with Geno gets the franchise. Even if they think he is the better option right now, how many wins more than Lock. 1 or 2? So you go from a 6 win team to a 7 or 8 win team. That just gets you worse draft position.
Which is certainly fueling the Mayfield / Jimmy G speculation.
On the other hand, would either Mayfield / Jimmy G get you to the playoffs?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 pm

trharder wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm
Which is certainly fueling the Mayfield / Jimmy G speculation.
On the other hand, would either Mayfield / Jimmy G get you to the playoffs?
Based on my previous post I don't think Mayfield is going anywhere. We shall see if SF is ready for the Trey Lance era.
dt