Rosy assessment from Riddick

D-train

Rosy assessment from Riddick

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:16 pm

This is how I see it as well and will probably look like an idiot when we go 3-14 but I don't care. I obviously don't agree with his Jimmy G idea but the rest of this is good. imo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/lo ... se-quickly
dt

maoling

Re: Rosy assessment from Riddick

Post by maoling » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:22 pm

I agree with this and, also with the exception of Janeane Garofalo, think that losing RW and his smarmy baggage of having the team revolve around him is addition by subtraction.

We have a young team with some top-shelf picks imo. I can easily see us punching some top teams in the mouth this year. Happy to come back and eat crow-shit in November if things are ugly lol.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:41 pm

Yeah, I agree with his assessment - not because it's rosy - but because it's fair, accurate, ans comes off as having actually been researched rather than relying on a bunch of nonsense soundbites to reach a conclusion.

The biggest mistake fans are going to make is thinking, or expecting, improvement to mean more wins. It will in the long term, but not in the short term. This is the least experienced team in the division - especially at the QB spot. This season is about getting the young guys experienced in preparation for next year's draft haul which could/should be significant. Do. Not. Expect. Wins. In two years, Seattle could be the most talented team in the division - Lambs, Phx and SF are all due for their own decline - that's why patience with this process will likely pay dividends - but not immediately.

I agree in the addition by subtraction. Someone posted that Seattle has the worst o-line in the league. I lol'd at that - they literally sign a good center, pick up two mauler tackles - and are somehow worse? That math doesn't add up. Meanwhile, Denver's o-line - which made NO improvements, somehow is now better? On what planet does that math add up - not to mention the units have net even been determined. Was reading a Donkey blog, and even the fans were highly skeptical of their own o-line - and dismissing their higher ranking. PFF is laughable.

If seattle can simply duplicate RW's average statistical success - 17/24 - 225-250 yards, and minimize turnovers, they can be competitive. The defense is likely to take a step forward this year. They have a good base of talent and the secondary could be a top unit in the league. I expect this team to be really feisty, but to lose a lot of close games. after next years draft, the tide will start to turn - especially if they can get a legit long term QB solution.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:38 pm

I agree with all of that, except this part: " If seattle can simply duplicate RW's average statistical success - 17/24 - 225-250 yards, and minimize turnovers, they can be competitive. The defense is likely to take a step forward this year. They have a good base of talent and the secondary could be a top unit in the league."

The secondary is FAR from being a top unit in the league. We might have the best safety tandem (at least top 2), but our CBs are more like bottom 5. That is, UNLESS the rookies end up being absolute studs. They have potential to be that, but you just never know with rookies, and it's far more likely that they are Kelly Jennings-ish than Richard Shermans. We lost our far-and-away best CB, almost every DE we had, our sack leader AND a first-ballot HOFer that made all of the defensive calls. We have a new DC, and he is the only hope that the defense is better, and I am still not sold, considering the group he was in charge of was the worst part of the whole thing.

As for the QB stats, I don't think just matching the numbers will do. RW was a star because he was best when the pressure was on. 17/24 when you go 5-5 and a TD at the end is a lot better than 17-24 when you go 0-5 and an INT when the game is on the line.

Otherwise, I agree that this season is a throwaway, a chance to get the young players experience, work out the kinks with new coordinators, and cash in on the draft. The future COULD look bright, and it will if we get a QB.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:38 pm
I agree with all of that, except this part: " If seattle can simply duplicate RW's average statistical success - 17/24 - 225-250 yards, and minimize turnovers, they can be competitive. The defense is likely to take a step forward this year. They have a good base of talent and the secondary could be a top unit in the league."

The secondary is FAR from being a top unit in the league. We might have the best safety tandem (at least top 2), but our CBs are more like bottom 5. That is, UNLESS the rookies end up being absolute studs. They have potential to be that, but you just never know with rookies, and it's far more likely that they are Kelly Jennings-ish than Richard Shermans. We lost our far-and-away best CB, almost every DE we had, our sack leader AND a first-ballot HOFer that made all of the defensive calls. We have a new DC, and he is the only hope that the defense is better, and I am still not sold, considering the group he was in charge of was the worst part of the whole thing.

As for the QB stats, I don't think just matching the numbers will do. RW was a star because he was best when the pressure was on. 17/24 when you go 5-5 and a TD at the end is a lot better than 17-24 when you go 0-5 and an INT when the game is on the line.

Otherwise, I agree that this season is a throwaway, a chance to get the young players experience, work out the kinks with new coordinators, and cash in on the draft. The future COULD look bright, and it will if we get a QB.
Yes, wide range of outcomes based on all the uncertainty and you didn't even mention the guy I am worried about being thrust into a starter role. Cody Barton.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:53 pm

RW used to be clutch but he seemed to totally lose that in the past couple years. Will be interesting if he can get it back in Denver. Here is their schedule. Their over under for wins is 10.5. I would say 9-8. What do you guys have them at.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule/
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:13 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Yes, wide range of outcomes based on all the uncertainty and you didn't even mention the guy I am worried about being thrust into a starter role. Cody Barton.
what was I supposed to mention about him? I think he can be a serviceable-to-pretty-good MLB. What I don't believe he can do is replace the knowledge and expertise BWagz provided. BWagz would read plays as they lined up and put people in position to stop them. With all the young players, I think that drop-off will be considerable.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:31 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:13 am
D-train wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 pm

what was I supposed to mention about him? I think he can be a serviceable-to-pretty-good MLB. What I don't believe he can do is replace the knowledge and expertise BWagz provided. BWagz would read plays as they lined up and put people in position to stop them. With all the young players, I think that drop-off will be considerable.
That is exactly what I think. Likely the biggest drop off. Brooks will be calling the plays instead of Bobby but its really Barton that is replacing him. Scary.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:47 pm

When Wags went down, didn’t Brooks play his spot? Barton is not replacing Wagner, Hell, they don’t even play a 4 - 3 anymore, so Imguess if you want to be technical? No one is replacing Wagner because his spot is gone. That said, I really think the way we played the 4 - 3 was a lot like a 3 - 4. KJ was a coverage run stopping LB, not your traditional OLB. Same with Barton.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:47 pm
When Wags went down, didn’t Brooks play his spot? Barton is not replacing Wagner, Hell, they don’t even play a 4 - 3 anymore, so Imguess if you want to be technical? No one is replacing Wagner because his spot is gone. That said, I really think the way we played the 4 - 3 was a lot like a 3 - 4. KJ was a coverage run stopping LB, not your traditional OLB. Same with Barton.
Just saying that ignoring roles, last year it was Brooks and Bobby and this year its Brooks and Barton.
dt