This guy goes to town in the NFL rumor mill nonsense.

D-train

This guy goes to town in the NFL rumor mill nonsense.

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:25 pm

dt

SeattleAddict

Re: This guy goes to down in the NFL rumor mill nonsense.

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:24 pm

he's mostly right. Half of those idiots just make stuff up to get clicks. I think the other half, though, are actually reporting things they heard. Teams give out a lot of misdirection as far as who they're looking at and who they're high on for the draft. They are much more likely to leak info about somebody they AREN'T planning on drafting than somebody they ARE, so whenever they say "sources told me" I figure it's bullshit. If they do some analysis of actual behavior, like bringing a player in for a workout, or previous similar moves, then I buy into it.

The pre-draft stuff is all just guessing so I don't mind that, and hell, the team might actually like a guy, but don't really intend on drafting him. If they say they like a QB, it doesn't mean they like him as a top-10 pick, but maybe they'd consider him if he dropped to the 4th.

All that said, I came here because I read a rumor that we were very close to a Baker Mayfield deal. I'm still for it IF we give up next to nothing and pay him next to nothing. I think he is better than he played last year with a bum shoulder, and he DEFINITELY has a chip on his shoulder. He might not be Russell Wilson, but he maybe could be Matt Hasselbeck.

D-train

Re: This guy goes to town in the NFL rumor mill nonsense.

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:22 am

dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:24 pm
he's mostly right. Half of those idiots just make stuff up to get clicks. I think the other half, though, are actually reporting things they heard. Teams give out a lot of misdirection as far as who they're looking at and who they're high on for the draft. They are much more likely to leak info about somebody they AREN'T planning on drafting than somebody they ARE, so whenever they say "sources told me" I figure it's bullshit. If they do some analysis of actual behavior, like bringing a player in for a workout, or previous similar moves, then I buy into it.

The pre-draft stuff is all just guessing so I don't mind that, and hell, the team might actually like a guy, but don't really intend on drafting him. If they say they like a QB, it doesn't mean they like him as a top-10 pick, but maybe they'd consider him if he dropped to the 4th.

All that said, I came here because I read a rumor that we were very close to a Baker Mayfield deal. I'm still for it IF we give up next to nothing and pay him next to nothing. I think he is better than he played last year with a bum shoulder, and he DEFINITELY has a chip on his shoulder. He might not be Russell Wilson, but he maybe could be Matt Hasselbeck.
Yes, I also read here that folks believed Brock and Saulk were getting insider info that the Hawks QB was not in the building right now. So you had Jimmy G, and or Baker start coming up again. So do we like Baker better than Lock or Geno? Probably do they think that any team wants Baker enough to take on a 19M dollar salary? Do the other teams hold out to see if the Brown's dump him or keep him because the belief is that Watson is going to be out for 1/2 the season or more. Does the fact that Baker could start for 1/2 the year increase the value of Baker to the Brown's enough to desire to pay him instead of trading him for some salary relief?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 am

Yes, I also read here that folks believed Brock and Saulk were getting insider info that the Hawks QB was not in the building right now. So you had Jimmy G, and or Baker start coming up again. So do we like Baker better than Lock or Geno? Probably do they think that any team wants Baker enough to take on a 19M dollar salary? Do the other teams hold out to see if the Brown's dump him or keep him because the belief is that Watson is going to be out for 1/2 the season or more. Does the fact that Baker could start for 1/2 the year increase the value of Baker to the Brown's enough to desire to pay him instead of trading him for some salary relief?
Baker Mayfield is far and away better than Geno or Lock. As much as DT believes in Lock, he has shown absolutely nothing to indicate he's a top-tier starter, while Mayfield has. Mayfield has also shown some not-good things, but the talent is definitely there. The Seahawks literally can't take on his 18m contract, the Browns would have to pay him. I don't think they can realistically ask him to start - how can you after all this?? They have to dump him one way or another, and either way they're stuck with his salary.

D-train

Re: This guy goes to town in the NFL rumor mill nonsense.

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm

If Watson, gets suspended as suspected and the Browns tell Baker that he is going to start, doesn't he have to agree or lose his $18MM? Rhetorical question.
dt