Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Donn Beach

Re: Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:43 pm

. Mayfield will not play another snap for the Browns regardless of how embattled quarterback Deshaun Watson’s looming suspension rules. Even if the league suspends him indefinitely, or for a season, do not expect Mayfield to fill in, even if it makes sense on paper.
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... b.amp.html

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm
They just excused him from their minicamp claiming it was best for both sides. They go from that to to his being their qb again two weeks later? How do they even do that? Tell him he has to start showing up again?
. However, Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reported that "things went down" differently before Cleveland's mandatory minicamp this month.

The Browns have been seeking a trade for Mayfield and excused him from minicamp.

"We felt like that was the best decision for both sides," head coach Kevin Stefanski said
Ok if they think they are going to trade him and get a team to pay his salary they are dumber than I thought. The will have to pay him no matter what so it is either pay him to play for another team or to play for them. If the latter they should just release him now.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:43 pm
. Mayfield will not play another snap for the Browns regardless of how embattled quarterback Deshaun Watson’s looming suspension rules. Even if the league suspends him indefinitely, or for a season, do not expect Mayfield to fill in, even if it makes sense on paper.
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... b.amp.html
Thanks I didn't think the divorce was final. How stupid of them though, they have zero leverage in a trade now.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:45 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm
They just excused him from their minicamp claiming it was best for both sides. They go from that to to his being their qb again two weeks later? How do they even do that? Tell him he has to start showing up again?
. However, Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reported that "things went down" differently before Cleveland's mandatory minicamp this month.

The Browns have been seeking a trade for Mayfield and excused him from minicamp.

"We felt like that was the best decision for both sides," head coach Kevin Stefanski said
Ok if they think they are going to trade him and get a team to pay his salary they are dumber than I thought. The will have to pay him no matter what so it is either pay him to play for another team or to play for them. If the latter they should just release him now.
As I understand it, the sticking point in a trade is how much of his salary the Browns pick up. They could be working on a trade to the Hawks with Lock going to the Browns, and they are waiting for the Watson suspension to be decided. I can't believe the Browns went into this thing without factoring in a Watson suspension

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:10 pm

I know that but if they had a brain they would have leveraged the Watson suspension in their favor and said we can't give up Baker for nothing because we will likely need him until Watson's suspension is over. Then teams wouldn't have been able to just wait until he is released.

I will go on record saying no way in hell he plays for us and will eat crow if wrong.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm

I think Mayfield is the best option of the three, and the best short term option to make Seattle more competitive, but I just don't see the long term projection there. He could very likely duplicate Wilson's numbers, but I still struggle with his long term viability. Having no idea what Lock can do makes it harder to analyze with any accuracy. A lot of Brown's fans think Mayfield was shafted by Cleveland - apparently he played injured all last season, greatly affecting his play - so the Watson trade looks even worse to the fans. Who knows where the truth lies - but he certainly is more interesting than Smith.

One thing is for sure - a CringeRuss vs Mayfield week one matchup would be the ultimate grudge match - and the NFL's Marketing Dept's wet dream.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 pm
I can't believe the Browns went into this thing without factoring in a Watson suspension
I can. The Browns are perennial losers. Completely inept ownership.

As aurora mentioned, the Browns fans are great. I've met many a Browns fan. Too bad the team is a dumpster fire.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15 pm

right? It's the Browns. How many times have they done stupid things? They absolutely Amber Heard-ed the bed on this whole thing. They put no thought into this whole thing.

They will likely have to pay Baker to play somewhere else. They can cut him, but then they're on the hook for the whole thing. I think they're trying to get somebody to at least pay half or something, but they have zero leverage.

I also can't believe people are wondering if he's an upgrade over Lock or Geno. When healthy, he's a top 15 QB. He isn't at the very top, but he is pretty good. Geno is somewhere between 30-40th, and Lock is anywhere from 25-50 (hard to know for sure, but the fact he couldn't beat out Teddy freakin' Bridgewater means he isn't higher than that).

Mayfield would give this team a chance to win any given week. He'd probably also lose us a couple. If they are actually trying to win this year, that is the way to go. I don't think they are, and not sure they SHOULD. The best play is to take the year off and load up via the draft. I'd actually advocate a DK trade, too, if they are going that route.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:25 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15 pm
right? It's the Browns. How many times have they done stupid things? They absolutely Amber Heard-ed the bed on this whole thing. They put no thought into this whole thing.

They will likely have to pay Baker to play somewhere else. They can cut him, but then they're on the hook for the whole thing. I think they're trying to get somebody to at least pay half or something, but they have zero leverage.

I also can't believe people are wondering if he's an upgrade over Lock or Geno. When healthy, he's a top 15 QB. He isn't at the very top, but he is pretty good. Geno is somewhere between 30-40th, and Lock is anywhere from 25-50 (hard to know for sure, but the fact he couldn't beat out Teddy freakin' Bridgewater means he isn't higher than that).

Mayfield would give this team a chance to win any given week. He'd probably also lose us a couple. If they are actually trying to win this year, that is the way to go. I don't think they are, and not sure they SHOULD. The best play is to take the year off and load up via the draft. I'd actually advocate a DK trade, too, if they are going that route.
That actually means nothing to me for two reasons:

1. The offensive "geniuses" who made that decision
2. Lock admitted he went about that competition in the worst way possible focusing on how he compared with Teddy every day instead of just being the best version of himself.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm

Why, what does Baker have against the Broncos?