Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Pharmabro

Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:11 pm

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/ ... d-seahawks

I also just watched one of the Seahawks bloggers report tweets coming out that over the last 7 days talks have escalated.

But, it is problematic.

One problem is Baker is owed 18.58M and the Hawks have all that dead Russ money. They went out and signed Geno Smith for not the vet min in a 3.5 million dollar deal. (500K DEAD MONEY IF YOU LET HIM GO.) Drew Lock a 2nd round pick who flashed but could not hold of a so-so occasional starter in Denver.

The 2nd problem is if you are not letting Baker hit the open market via the release. You have to outbid the other teams. You gotta take on money or bribe the Brown's with the money/picks/overpaid players going back.

According to OTC the Hawks have about 16M in cap space. They could move around money or let Geno go if they wanted him. Baker has been good an above average starter in 2 seasons and been bad in 2 seasons.

What is Baker? The last 4 years according to:
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-r ... nfl-season
counting back from 2021:
25th best, 11th, 24th, 12th

Compared to Russ counting back from 2021:
11th, 6th, 3rd, 6th, 5th, 9th, 8th, 4, 6

Baker's very best has been = to Wilson's very worst displayed in 2021 when he got injured and checked-out on the team.

Still though Baker is a big step up from Locke or Geno

I just don't know if I could convince myself that Baker is a guy that can that leads you to a championship.Maybe our draft was so good you get a Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson type of run.

D-train

Re: Baker Mayfield rumors heating up

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 pm

dt

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:11 pm
Still though Baker is a big step up from Locke or Geno
I'm not so sure. But that's just me.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:50 pm

Maybe the Browns are trying to keep Mayfield - it clearly looks like they are gonna need a QB with Watson likely out indefinitely. man, the Browns really fcked themselves on an epic scale. Too bad - great fanbase - I know a bunch of browns fans down here. Good people. Hairy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:09 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:50 pm
Maybe the Browns are trying to keep Mayfield - it clearly looks like they are gonna need a QB with Watson likely out indefinitely. man, the Browns really fcked themselves on an epic scale. Too bad - great fanbase - I know a bunch of browns fans down here. Good people. Hairy.
Exactly. Zero chance Watson is available the first few games minimum. My guess is 6-8, maybe more.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm

Zero chance? Really? Understand they had cut ties with Mayfield even before landing Waston, that bridge had been burned. It will be interesting if they do try and reconcile

From before the Watson trade
. CLEVELAND — As the Cleveland Browns continue their pursuit of Deshaun Watson, it appears that Baker Mayfield's time with the team has likely come to an end.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Browns and Mayfield are headed for a breakup regardless of whether the team lands Watson -- a sentiment seemingly backed up by the letter to Cleveland that Mayfield posted to social media regarding his uncertain future on Tuesday night.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm
Zero chance? Really? Understand they had cut ties with Mayfield even before landing Waston, that bridge had been burned. It will be interesting if they do try and reconcile

From before the Watson trade
. CLEVELAND — As the Cleveland Browns continue their pursuit of Deshaun Watson, it appears that Baker Mayfield's time with the team has likely come to an end.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Browns and Mayfield are headed for a breakup regardless of whether the team lands Watson -- a sentiment seemingly backed up by the letter to Cleveland that Mayfield posted to social media regarding his uncertain future on Tuesday night.
You don't think Watson will get even a one game suspension? Maybe they will just tank the season and go with QB3 but I can't imagine Watson not getting a single game.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Sure he is going to get a suspension, you don't think Cleveland hadn't considered that when they traded for him? You don't think they bothered to contact the league office over what the situation was, this whole thing is a complete surprise to them? So now their only option is to crawl back to Mayfield after they fired him? I don't know what they might do but I think there is more than a zero percent chance Mayfield isn't qbing their first game

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm

They just excused him from their minicamp claiming it was best for both sides. They go from that to to his being their qb again two weeks later? How do they even do that? Tell him he has to start showing up again?
. However, Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reported that "things went down" differently before Cleveland's mandatory minicamp this month.

The Browns have been seeking a trade for Mayfield and excused him from minicamp.

"We felt like that was the best decision for both sides," head coach Kevin Stefanski said

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:42 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Sure he is going to get a suspension, you don't think Cleveland hadn't considered that when they traded for him? You don't think they bothered to contact the league office over what the situation was, this whole thing is a complete surprise to them? So now their only option is to crawl back to Mayfield after they fired him? I don't know what they might do but I think there is more than a zero percent chance Mayfield isn't qbing their first game
Crawl back??? They just say you are playing or you don't get paid. If he agrees then they win more games, if he doesn't then they don't pay him.
dt