Training Camp has FINALLY begun!

D-train

Training Camp has FINALLY begun!

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Most exciting time in Seattle Sports in YEARs right now. Hawks with a Blue Sky anything possible future and M's looking highly likely to FINALLY end the 21 year playoff drought. Even the new little brother Kraken making some off season ice waves.

Nothing like Training Camp without a hold in.
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
RENTON — DK Metcalf was present for the first training camp practice of the year for the Seahawks.

But he wasn’t active, watching with a baseball hat instead of a helmet as his teammates went through 90 minutes of drills, following the lead of teammates of the past few years who also had unsettled contract situations.

Metcalf showing up for camp but not taking part in drills is becoming an increasingly common tactic for players around the league, in fact, earning the moniker “hold in,” as opposed to now showing up and holding out.

And how long will Metcalf be holding in?

RELATED Seahawks sign K.J. Wright so he can retire with Seattle
Well, to hear coach Pete Carroll tell it afterward, it may not be too long — but it also seems unclear.

Carroll said, “I don’t have an update for you” but added that “there’s a lot of work being done like right now.”

Carroll added that the team had hoped a new contract for Metcalf, who is entering the final season of his rookie deal, would have been completed already.

“We were hoping so,” he said. “We shot for it. But we’re right there now.”

Carroll also made clear that if Metcalf were signed, he would be on the field. Metcalf had surgery on his foot following the season after dealing with a foot issue that emerged following the third game of the 2021 season. But Carroll said “he passed his physical. He’s fine.”

Metcalf seemed engaged throughout the practice, standing with receivers during team drills and at times popping his head into huddles. And as practice ended, he walked off the field talking with new receivers coach Sanjay Lal, with whom he is especially close — Lal was also on Seattle’s staff in 2019 during Metcalf’s rookie season.

But asked again the status of the talks, Carroll said “I’ve got no updates for you.” The team hopes he does soon.

During the July 27, 2022 Seahawks training camp, Pete Carroll comments on how Chris Carson worked to recover from his injuries, then was released from the team as he is expected to retire. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
Carroll says Carson ‘worked like crazy’ to play
Carroll said that the team has known for a month or so that running back Chris Carson was unlikely to be able to play this season. The team released Carson on Tuesday with a failed physical designation, and it is expected that he will retire.

Carroll said he talked to Carson again on Tuesday and that “as he said ‘I’ve had time to deal with it. I’m OK about it now.’ And so he’s moving ahead.”

Carson had cervical fusion surgery last December that the team hoped would allow him to continue to play. The surgery was intended to fix a lingering neck issue that had sidelined him following the fourth game of the season.

But Carroll said that at each “marker” for progress that Carson’s situation didn’t get better.

“The last time we hit it was probably about a month ago, and he hadn’t made any progress,” Carroll said.

Carroll said one of the main issues is that Carson didn’t have the needed range of motion which caused discomfort.

“He couldn’t quite get over it,” Carroll said. “It was a shame. For all the offseason we’ve talked to Chris the whole time. We were all trying to keep a really good thought that it was going to maybe come through and change it. … He worked like crazy to do it. He was going for it the whole time.”

Carson finished his Seattle career as the eighth-leading rusher in franchise history with 3,502 yards.

“I loved him,” Carroll said. “And it breaks my heart not to have him again.”

During the July 27, 2022 Seahawks training camp, Pete Carroll talks about how he has selected quarterbacks in the past and the current competition to be the next starting quarterback for the Seahawks. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
Geno Smith remains in lead of QB race as camp begins
The first practice of camp brought no change to the depth chart at quarterback. As it was during OTAs and minicamp, Geno Smith worked primarily with the first team while Drew Lock was with the second unit and Jacob Eason got a few snaps here and there as well.

“Geno’s in the lead right now,” Carroll said. “He’s ahead and he ain’t looking back — he’s going for it. And Drew’s not going to take a back seat so something’s going to happen. And Jake will be there if we need him.”

Carroll reiterated that Smith leads for now due largely to his knowledge of the offense.

“Drew had a very, very good offseason with us,” Carroll said. “He’s just behind in the learning and so he’s catching up. But he’s a really talented football player.”

As for when a decision will be made? Carroll played coy on that, dodging the question, as he did with how reps will be split up, saying “you’ll see.”

But as he has consistently said for months, Carroll said any decision is not likely to come anytime soon, saying the competition could last through the preseason.

“We’ll start adding up the days,” Carroll said.

Quarterback Geno Smith joins teammates in signing for fans following Wednesday’s practice. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
Pete Carroll checks in with Quinton Jefferson and his family who gather on the VMAC practice field after Wednesday’s practice. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

1 of 10 | Quarterback Geno Smith joins teammates in signing for fans following Wednesday’s practice. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
Injury/personnel updates
Here are some quick injury and personnel updates and observations.

Carroll said rookie edge rusher Tyreke Smith, who was placed on the physically unable to perform list, has been dealing with a hip injury but ran well before practice and could be activated soon.
Carroll also had good news on cornerback Tre Brown, who is also on the PUP list following knee surgery last year, saying “he’s close” and that “it’s not going to be a long haul” for his return.
However, Carroll said LB Jon Rhattigan (knee) and OL Liam Ryan (foot) are each dealing with longer-term injuries.
As expected, Ben Burr-Kirven cleared waivers and reverted to Seattle’s injured reserve list and does not count against the 90-man limit. Carroll said Burr-Kirven, who suffered an ACL injury last August, had recent “nerve surgery and it just takes a long time to recover.”
Second-year receiver Dee Eskridge sat out much of practice and Carroll said he was “just a little bit tight in his hamstrings today. So I just want to make sure that we didn’t do too much too soon.” With Metcalf and Eskridge watching, the regular first-team receivers Wednesday were Tyler Lockett, Freddie Swain and Cody Thompson.
Safeties Jamal Adams and Quandre Diggs, each coming off surgeries, participated fully in practice throughout. “Excited to see the safeties,” Carroll said. “To see both guys out here. It’s as good a pair of safeties as you can find.”
The usual starting offensive line featured second-year player Jake Curhan at right tackle along with guards Damien Lewis and Gabe Jackson, center Austin Blythe and left tackle Charles Cross. That had rookie third-round pick Abraham Lucas usually working with the second team at right tackle and second-year player Stone Forsythe as the backup on the left side.
Sidney Jones again worked as the starting left corner with Artie Burns on the right side. Rookies Coby Bryant (left) and Tariq Woolen (right) worked with the second unit. Justin Coleman again worked as the starting nickel with Ugo Amadi as the backup. But Marquise Blair, who passed his physical after suffering a knee injury last October, also got substantial work with the backups at nickel.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Training Camp has FINALLY begun!

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Perhaps they should hire a Hamstring Maintenance coach to work with these guys.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:42 pm

why you gotta jinx the M's like that??? They're screwed if they have to play the Astros any more, but aren't they like 11-2 against the Rangers? It's amazing how baseball teams can just match up so differently.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:08 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:42 pm
why you gotta jinx the M's like that??? They're screwed if they have to play the Astros any more, but aren't they like 11-2 against the Rangers? It's amazing how baseball teams can just match up so differently.
And after sweeping us they go down and get swept by the A's. Baseball's a trip.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:10 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm
Perhaps they should hire a Hamstring Maintenance coach to work with these guys.
I was going to post that if I live a million years I will never understand how world class athletes in their early 20s have so many non contact injuries like that. Just mind boggling they can't simply run around without injuring themselves.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 pm
M's looking highly likely to FINALLY end the 21 year playoff drought.
The last time you said something like this, Robbie Cano got hurt, then busted for PEDs and we lost more games to finish the season than any pennant contender I have ever seen! LOL Be careful.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:08 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
just took a peek at the schedule. if they can get past these next 4 with the Astros, they have two series with every other AL West team and no more with Houston, so maybe there's hope. I live in the fucked up blackout area so I haven't been able to watch a game in 7 years, and I don't know anybody on the team. Trying to watch highlights and recaps to at least have some idea who is who.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:40 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 pm
M's looking highly likely to FINALLY end the 21 year playoff drought.
The last time you said something like this, Robbie Cano got hurt, then busted for PEDs and we lost more games to finish the season than any pennant contender I have ever seen! LOL Be careful.
No that time I GUARNTEED it! lol Note that I said likely not a lock. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:42 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:08 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
just took a peek at the schedule. if they can get past these next 4 with the Astros, they have two series with every other AL West team and no more with Houston, so maybe there's hope. I live in the fucked up blackout area so I haven't been able to watch a game in 7 years, and I don't know anybody on the team. Trying to watch highlights and recaps to at least have some idea who is who.
Find a way to watch Julio. Next Griffey. Book it.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:43 pm

One of my all time fav Huskies makes a bold prediction.

https://twitter.com/MarioDBailey/status ... 0984676352
dt