Please explain Drew Lock and the Seahawks

trharder

Please explain Drew Lock and the Seahawks

Post by trharder » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:31 pm

Geno Smith continues to take first team reps at training camp. Why?
One possible reason is Pete and Waldron actually think he's the better starter.
But, honestly, very few people believe Drew will be the back-up to Geno on opening day, if it's just those two.
If the majority is correct, why in TF would you not be having Drew take at least half of the reps with DK and Tyler etc. ?
The local media is not pressing very hard on what's going on.
National cliche media are just sure the Seahawks are fucked either way. Which seems true enough.

I guess this is my main point - If Drew Lock is going to be the opening day starting QB, why is it better to do it this way?

D-train

Re: Please explain Drew Lock and the Seahawks

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:36 pm

trharder wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:31 pm
Geno Smith continues to take first team reps at training camp. Why?
One possible reason is Pete and Waldron actually think he's the better starter.
But, honestly, very few people believe Drew will be the back-up to Geno on opening day, if it's just those two.
If the majority is correct, why in TF would you not be having Drew take at least half of the reps with DK and Tyler etc. ?
The local media is not pressing very hard on what's going on.
National cliche media are just sure the Seahawks are fucked either way. Which seems true enough.

I guess this is my main point - If Drew Lock is going to be the opening day starting QB, why is it better to do it this way?
I agree. Maybe to give Geno the respect given he is older and longer tenured on the team? I expect Drew starts the 2nd and 3rd Preseason games and Game 1 vs. the Burros
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:18 pm

are you guys new here? Remember Matt Flynn??

PC will put the better guy out there, regardless of experience or contract or potential. Geno has the experience, so it is his job to lose, Lock's job to take. Lock has every opportunity and may well end up the starter, but he has to earn the spot. We're what, 2 days into training camp? of COURSE the vet gets the starting reps. Imagine if you just gave the new guy the starter reps and he sucks? The vet gets screwed and bitter. Worry about it after the 2nd preseason game.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:26 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:18 pm

PC will put the better guy out there, regardless of experience or contract or potential. Geno has the experience, so it is his job to lose, Lock's job to take. Lock has every opportunity and may well end up the starter, but he has to earn the spot. We're what, 2 days into training camp? of COURSE the vet gets the starting reps. Imagine if you just gave the new guy the starter reps and he sucks? The vet gets screwed and bitter. Worry about it after the 2nd preseason game.
Yep that's what I said, only more succinctly.... :)
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:20 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:18 pm
So, is PC putting Geno out there because he's better? Or because he has more experience? Or some half-baked protocol?
Matt Flynn was flat-out beat by a future HOF'r, who started the season as a rookie. I honestly don't remember who was taking reps with the first unit in the first three training camp practices of 2012. I do remember that media and coaches were glowing about RW at rookie training camp and beyond. I guess in 2012 it was Tarvaris Jackson's job to lose?
Drew Lock is not a rookie. He is arguably a vet. Geno is a back-up and even Geno knows it. Not the same thing. There's no "of course".
If this does follow the 2012 season where Matt Flynn lost the starting job to RW, then Lock will impress in the last pre-season game and win the job. (Then I will still wonder what the advantage of treating Lock as the #2 early on was in Pete's mind. He missed better reps.)
But, if this follows the pattern of 2010 to the Seahawks SB, and I've argued that's the plan, then Pete is looking at Geno and Lock as the
next Tarvaris Jackson. The competition and nod to the veteran talk is just for show. The plan is not to win a bunch of games this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:49 pm

What they should be doing and what I bet they will do before the first preseason game is rotate them. It isn't fair to Lock to be working with the 2nd unit all the time. Total Apples to Orangutans comparison. After the do that until about mid August, I bet the declare Lock the winner and run in exclusively with the first team.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:39 am

Believe Pete has stated Geno understands the offense better

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:47 am

There just isn't much of a talent gap between Lock and Smith. Geno knows the offense. End of story.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:51 am

How long does it take to learn an offense for an NFL Caliber Player? Dude was traded for in March. They keep saying behind and still learning. , Geno's ahead of him, etc. Holy crap, come on Drew learn the playbook.

I guess we should have expected it, and have to wait to see how it really plays out. Bridgewater was traded for April 28 of last year. Lock started the first preseason game, than it looks like the Broncos seen enough. Lock to the bench.

Pinning our hopes on Geno and Drew honestly is a recipe for disaster.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:46 am

Geno was good last year and he seemed to have a rapport with DK. Plus, Carroll likes him and also there's the whole progressive Pete DE&I thing.