Welcome to the Lock and Load! era of Seahawks football

Gametime

Re: Welcome to the Lock and Load! era of Seahawks football

Post by Gametime » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:32 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:42 pm
The guy was literally asked....if it shows that Lock played as well or better than Smith, will he get more #1 reps, and Pete is so in love with Gino Fucking Smith? He couldn't answer. This guy losses more and more of my faith with each time he talks to the fucking press.
I can’t agree more. I know I’m sick of hearing Pete at the podium. I may fall on the side of Michael Bennett on listening to Pete.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:44 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:55 pm
Sure he was asked, he doesn't tell reporters what he is thinking why should he?
Huh? Why shouldn't he admit when a guy on his team had a good day? Do you really believe he is revealing any team secrets if he admits that Lock had a good day and the race might be tighter now? Jesus Donn.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:56 pm

I'm having a hard time manufacturing the same level of hate towards Pete as MK, but anyone paying attention
knows eventually he's going to give Lock a shot to start in the regular season because we all know Geno is
not very good at all. Which really makes you wonder wtf PC is thinking. What is the advantage, if not to tank.

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... -fHV1LT5WQ
Last edited by trharder on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 pm

trharder wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:56 pm
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... -fHV1LT5WQ[/tweet]
He blocked me. What did he say? Thx.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 pm
trharder wrote:
Sorry, I haven't learned the embed trick yet. He just said back to Status Quo with Geno with the ones and Lock with the two's in a walk through. today.
Blocked by Greg Bell? :P

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 pm

There was a vid of RW at Sue Bird's retirement ceremony. Not exactly the type of crowd I would expect to boo him. That first game will be wild. Not quite ARod in 2001 but there shall be lots of boos.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:06 pm

trharder wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:58 pm
trharder wrote:
Sorry, I haven't learned the embed trick yet. He just said back to Status Quo with Geno with the ones and Lock with the two's in a walk through. today.
Blocked by Greg Bell? :P
Yeah sometimes it doesn't work for some reason. Looks like you are doing it correctly. Thanks.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:12 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:44 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:55 pm
Sure he was asked, he doesn't tell reporters what he is thinking why should he?
Huh? Why shouldn't he admit when a guy on his team had a good day? Do you really believe he is revealing any team secrets if he admits that Lock had a good day and the race might be tighter now? Jesus Donn.
It was admitting Lock had the better day
. Gregg Bell of the Tacoma News Tribune reported that Lock was the better quarterback than Smith during a mock game Saturday, noting the offense "just did more" with the former under center.
Sorry but I can see Pete wanting to look at film to see how all the pieces of the two squads performed before admitting one just did more

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:54 am

So, Pete couldn't see from the field what every other person that was there saw? Wrong, he for some reason loves Gino. It's fucking dumb.

Every other coach in the League would have first pointed out that this is a glorified practice and then said Lock had a good day. At the VERY LEAST would have admitted that if he sees that the #2 was as good or better they would start receiving more equal reps.

This is a fucking QB competition, and yet again, is no competition at all. Next we know, he will finally figure it out, make Lock the starter, but not until right before week 1. Then blame our 0 and 4 start and conservative Plat calling on a lack of reps with the QB and the first team O. Typical fucking Pete. For some reason Smith is yet another reclamation project he will stick with until it is too late. Percy Harvin ring a bell?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 am

Based on the stats, the impressions of everyone there and the fact that Lock had to play 4 of 5 snaps with the 2s and vice versa with Geno, it is almost like being asked how was the weather and saying he needs to look a the film. If nothing else, it makes him look silly or biased.
Drew Lock jumps ahead in Seahawks QB derby — even if Pete Carroll won’t say it yet
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:42 pm Updated Aug. 6, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Matt Calkins By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
Drew Lock’s most significant pass Saturday wasn’t the 25-yard throw he completed to DK Metcalf or the 20-yard touchdown toss reeled in by Cody Thompson. The most significant pass was the one he made over fellow quarterback Geno Smith — right to the top of the depth chart.

This hasn’t been the most theatrical training camp for the Seahawks, but it’s clear what has become the top storyline: Who is going to be behind center when the season begins? And barring a late addition or injury, it has long appeared the battle is between Smith and Lock.

Only thing is, before Saturday’s mock game at Lumen Field, Seattle coach Pete Carroll has been transparent through his words and actions that Smith was ahead of Lock in the summertime competition. Aside from publicly declaring as much, Carroll has had Smith take all of his reps with the starters while Lock has practiced with the second team.

Saturday, however, finally offered something closer to an apples-to-apples comparison between the two signal-callers. And one apple had a lot more juice.

RELATED SEAHAWKS
Drew Lock outplays Geno Smith in Seahawks’ mock game, but Pete Carroll mum on instant impressions
Fifth-rounder Tariq Woolen looks like he belongs while starting at corner in Seahawks’ mock game
The 31-year-old Smith, a longtime backup, went 10-of-19 passing for 94 yards, no TDs and an almost-interception by cornerback Tariq Woolen that was (questionably) ruled an incomplete pass. During the five drives Smith led, the Seahawks scored one touchdown and one field goal, but were also forced to punt three times — two of which came on three-and-outs.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

The 25-year-old Lock, meanwhile, finished 18-of-27 for 185 yards, one TD and no picks. In his five drives behind center, Lock led the offense to two touchdowns and a field goal while twice having to punt. Moreover, Lock had just one series with the starting offense whereas Smith had four.

Lock’s numbers would have been even more convincing compared to Smith had he not overthrown an open Bo Melton near the end of the mock game, a play he visibly lamented in his postgame interview. Airmail aside, it was clear who had the better day — even if Carroll won’t say it.

“I didn’t see a lot, so I can’t help you very much on a lot of stuff,” said Pete. “I need to see the film.”

If you see that Drew played as well as Geno, or better than Geno, will he start to get more reps with the starters? I asked.

“I don’t have anything to tell you right now,” said Carroll. “I have to wait and see.”

It makes sense for Carroll to want to show his respect for Smith, who has been with the Seahawks since 2019. He has built up locker-room cred, something Lock is still developing since being dealt to Seattle this past offseason in the Russell Wilson trade.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

It also makes sense for the Seahawks to make Lock earn the starting position as opposed to being declared the immediate frontrunner — not only because of Smith’s cachet among teammates, but to help motivate a fourth-year QB to return to his rookie form, when he won four of his five games as Denver’s starter.

But it seemed evident after Saturday’s mock that Lock was pleased to have gotten a chance to showcase his skills in a game-like setting with, for one drive at least, the team’s top offensive weapons at his disposal.

“I don’t get a lot of reps with those guys — it’s interesting when you watch DK run a route compared to basically anyone else in the world. Tyler (Lockett) as well,” Lock said. “And to be able to go out there and, you know, feel confident, roll down the field and put points up on the board. That’s what I wanted to do with those guys. That’s what I wanted to show today. And I’m happy I did that.”

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

One has to think that fans who want to see the Seahawks compete for a playoff spot this year hope Lock wins the job. Not because they have anything against Smith, but because Geno has never had a stretch in his career in which he proved he could consistently lead a team to victory.

Still, the fact that he has hung around this long as a backup proves that coaches still think he has value. And even though he had been given his opportunities in years past, he’d like to have one more.

How do you think Drew played today, and do you think his effort affected the QB competition?

“As far as the competition, I’m not the one judging all of that, so I’ll leave that up to the coaches,” Smith said. “But I think Drew played really well, as I’ve always said, and I will go on record to say that I have his back. No matter what.”

He may have no other choice. Drew is no lock for the starting job, but for the first time since camp started, he is the QB to beat.
dt