OT: Seattle SuperSonics

Will Seattle's NBA team be called the Supersonics?

Yes, it's the obvious thing to do.
50%
No, it's way too controversial!
10%
I'm good with a name change.
No votes
What is this "NBA"?
40%

Total votes: 10

auroraave

OT: Seattle SuperSonics

Post by auroraave » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:05 pm

Allegedly Seattle is next up for an expansion NBA franshise. The Supes were everything to me, back in the day, now I don't care at all about the NBA - I wouldn't even watch if/when Seattle does get a team. is there a point to my endless blathering? Yes.

I was discussing this with a buddy, and he said it would be amazing to have the Supersonics in Seattle again. I thought to myself, "it's seattle, they have to find a way to f*ck this up," and then it dawned on me... they won't be called the Supersonics. The single biggest no brainer in the history of Seattle sports, outside of "Bobby Ayala is not a competent closer" is to name 'em the Sonics, so you know they won't. There will be some excuse, "oh, it's not carbon neutral!" or some PC nonsensical shit. So I am putting it out there now - if/when Seattle gets a team, will they be the Supersonics - the obvious choice? Or will it be "O-M-G.... we can't have a fossil fuel burning aircraft logo playing in Climate Sludge Arena!" "It's a new day, we need a fresh start, and a new name..." type of nonsense?

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me Seattle won't find a way to F this up.

D-train

Re: OT: Seattle SuperSonics

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:15 pm

IF they finally get a team (its been 14 years vs. 8 years between the Pilots and M's) I would be fine with new name. Everyone says when we get the Sonics back. No, THE Sonics will never be back. You can bring an expansion team filled with a bunch of scrubs we never heard of, Eastern Europeans and one and done punks and call them the Sonics but they won't be the Sonics.

The Sonics of Kemp, Payton, Ellis, Chambers, X man, Detlef, Gus Williams, Fred Brown, DJ and Sikma are gone forever....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Yeah, that was going to be my only rationale for why they wouldn't be called the Sonics, because they won't be the Sonics. Hell, don't the Thunder claim our history anyway? Which is complete Bullshit.

I have come back to the NBA, mostly because I love to hate Lebron, and love to watch the Warriors. I would be OK with this, but there will never be another Sonics. If they were still around they would be right up there with the Huskies and Seahawks as teams I have rooted for the longest. It took me a little longer with the Mariners. I watched them, and "rooted" for them, but it really wasn't until I became a Lefebvre Believer that I suffered the losses and really celebrated the wins.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Sorry, but the Sonics are in OKC and if a new team is called the Sonics, the Blunder would have to return all the hardware they were given by Shultz. You remember Howard Shultz? The only man in Seattle who didn't know selling the team to an OKC businessman wouldn't mean they will move the team.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 am

they'd definitely be called the Sonics. I hadn't thought about the stupid woke-sensitive possibility of offending somebody, but SuperSonics isn't controversial - super sonic is a description of speed, which could be attributed to anything.

When the Sonics were stolen, the Thunder had to leave behind the rights to Sonics name and colors, and if we ever got a team back, the history would be 'shared'. So, it wouldn't be the exact same, but because of the involvement of Payton and Kemp and others, I do feel like they'd still be the Sonics. All those guys are long-since retired, though we should probably get Durant and Westbrook back.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 am

They will be called the sonics, that's why the franchise was renamed the thunder when it was moved. They were required to leave the sonics name to be used for a future possible team
.According to the conditions of the settlement, the Sonics' name and colors could not be used by the team in Oklahoma City, but could be taken by a future team in Seattle, although no promises for a replacement team were given.
They may not be the original Sonics but a new franchise will use the name because it has tremendous value

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 am
They will be called the sonics, that's why the franchise was renamed the thunder when it was moved. They were required to leave the sonics name to be used for a future possible team
.According to the conditions of the settlement, the Sonics' name and colors could not be used by the team in Oklahoma City, but could be taken by a future team in Seattle, although no promises for a replacement team were given.
They may not be the original Sonics but a new franchise will use the name because it has tremendous value
Of course they will and after initial excitement and Euphoria and nostalgia the first month or so it will fade just like the Kraken did in their first season until when they are good. But the future popularity will have nothing to do with the name of the team.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:40 pm

Don't care what they name them. I won't watch.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 am
Of course they will and after initial excitement and Euphoria and nostalgia the first month or so it will fade just like the Kraken did in their first season until when they are good. But the future popularity will have nothing to do with the name of the team.
Really don't know what the issue is, sure they can stink, like the Browns have in Cleveland but I suspect football fans there are happy to have had the name preserved