Michael K.

The Defensive improvement....

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Seahawks believe successful shift on defense is permanent
Thu Nov 3 6:50pm ET
By TIM BOOTH
AP Sports Writer

Related photo caption below
New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones (8) runs against Seattle Seahawks linebacker Uchenna Nwosu, bottom, and defensive tackle Bryan Mone (90) during the second half of an NFL football game in Seattle, Sunday, Oct. 30, 2022. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Related photo caption below
New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley, right, runs against Seattle Seahawks safety Ryan Neal during the first half of an NFL football game in Seattle, Sunday, Oct. 30, 2022. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

RENTON, Wash. (AP) Shelby Harris was in a footrace, which usually is not what the Seattle Seahawks want one of their burly defensive linemen to be doing.

In this case, though, that moment of Harris chasing down New York Giants QB Daniel Jones and stopping him from reaching the first down was a perfect example of the effort that's led an drastic turnaround for the Seahawks defense.

''It's just selling out for the man next to you, a willingness to do anything that is asked of you,'' Harris said. ''I think that is the epitome of the whole team, everybody is willing to sell out for the person next to him, to buy in, and do what is needed to come home with a win.''

There's a lot of good stories developing in Seattle with a team that's among the biggest surprises nearing the midpoint of the regular season.

And near the top of that list is a defense that couldn't stop anyone early in the season becoming one of the better units in the league over the past three weeks.

''We were all thinking that we had to get this rolling,'' Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. ''We all just kind of put our heads together, stayed together, stayed connected, and now we are on the end of it, and we are trying to really build something big.''

Less than a month ago, the Seahawks were among the worst defenses in the NFL as they struggled with an offseason change to a 3-4 alignment. They had allowed 84 points in a two-game span against Detroit and New Orleans and had just watched the Saints rush for 235 yards in a deflating loss.

Seattle found itself near the bottom of most major statistically categories on defense.

Frustrating? Maybe infuriating was a better word.

''I was obviously frustrated and pissed off to say the least, but on the other side of it, I've been through a lot harder things in my personal life,'' Seattle defensive coordinator Clint Hurtt said.

''Going through some tough issues in football, we just have to keep coaching our way through it, keep on battling, and continue to show the support of the players of, `Hey, I'm with you, we are all in this thing together, and collectively, we will get this thing done.'''

It appears the Seahawks have gotten it done, at least for the past three weeks. Seattle has allowed just 45 total points in the past three games combined, and have managed to shut down the Cardinals, Chargers and Giants in different ways.

Last week against the Giants was potentially the most impressive of the three performances as New York entered with the second-best rushing offense in the league and was held to 78 yards rushing. The Giants only touchdown came following a Seattle turnover inside its 5-yard-line.

''New Orleans had a lot to do with it because for us up front, we feel like that was a game that got away from us. It was a game that all of us should have played better,'' Harris said. ''It was a matter of enough is enough.''

So what changed?

Well, the Seahawks did, specifically on the defensive line. Seattle adjusted after the New Orleans debacle and allowed its defensive linemen to be more aggressive, especially against the run. Rather than trying to read the play and occupy offensive linemen, the job has now become to be as disruptive as possible.

Seattle has also played more nickel of late with an extra defensive back - rookie Coby Bryant - on the field. That seems to have helped as well. The arrival of veteran Bruce Irvin and the continued strong play of Seattle's secondary has contributed as well.

By some advanced metrics, the Seahawks are near the top of the league during this three-game stretch. Football Outsiders DVOA rating has Seattle's defense first over the past three weeks after being 30th in the league the first five weeks of the season.

The Seahawks get another chance to test the validity of the changes they've made facing the Cardinals again on Sunday.

''I've been telling guys before, we had the same situation back in 2020, 2021 and started off kind of sloppy, but we ended up getting stuff together,'' safety Ryan Neal said. ''We came back to work, understood the importance of what we got to do.''

NOTES: QB Geno Smith was the NFC offensive player of the month, while rookie RB Kenneth Walker III and CB Tariq Woolen were NFL offensive and defensive rookies of the month all for the month of October. It's the first time since the league started awarding rookie of the month in 1996 that players from the same team were honored in the same month.
A lot of good in here, but some of it is curious. Why did it take they sucking beyond belief to start "selling out" for the guy next to them? What was the thought process in leaving Coby Bryant off the field early? How many times does a Pete Carroll defense have to get torched for playing "read and react" and playing too many LBs? And finally, anyone else curious why this seems to be a staple? I remember Earl Thomas in 2015 basically jabbing his fingers at reporters telling them to remember this when they get it turned around. Why does it always have to turn around?

Still, exciting to see the way they play defense now. Let's just hope that next year it doesn't take some kind of horrendous start to make these guys realize they can't play "read and react" on defense.

Donn Beach

Re: The Defensive improvement....

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:17 pm

I don't know what he means, selling out for the guy next to you. I do think generally speaking there is an aspect of trusting the guy next to you. Defense being a lot about discipline, sticking to your lane, your assignment. Trusting the guy next to you to stick to theirs

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:17 pm
I don't know what he means, selling out for the guy next to you. I do think generally speaking there is an aspect of trusting the guy next to you. Defense being a lot about discipline, sticking to your lane, your assignment. Trusting the guy next to you to stick to theirs
I am a lot more triggered by reading that yet again we had to decide a few games into a season where we are getting our asses handed to us that "read and react" isn't an effective brand of football. Just call it what it is....soft. Play back and ensure that you never give up a big play, or force a punt.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:04 pm

They have Mafe, Woolen and Bryant who are rookies and they have Nwosu, Harris and Jackson who weren't on the team last year. Plus they have a new Defensive coaching staff and scheme. And don't forget they lost their highest paid player to injury in week one and had to find a way to adjust to that. It shouldn't be surprising that it took some time to gel.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:59 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:04 pm
They have Mafe, Woolen and Bryant who are rookies and they have Nwosu, Harris and Jackson who weren't on the team last year. Plus they have a new Defensive coaching staff and scheme. And don't forget they lost their highest paid player to injury in week one and had to find a way to adjust to that. It shouldn't be surprising that it took some time to gel.
No argument, but it's pretty much every year. That is more the issue, IMO. Again, Earl Thomas mentioned it the year we lost the Super Bowl. That is a lot of years of going through issues early. My thought on this year? Is exactly what you said...but mostly adjusting to a new scheme and new coaches. Back when we were giving up yards in bunches, everyone I heard talk about the defense mentioned that it requires a high level of communication, and we weren't communicating.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:18 pm

That said, I get a bit triggered when I read about Seattle making a change, and it is essentially the equivalent of admitting we were too conservative and needed to get aggressive.

Being afraid to open up the offense due to the line. So, lose by not even trying instead of trying to win? ESPECIALLY after watching the offense for the first two quarters against Denver in comparison to the entire game against the Niners. It was as if beating Wilson was worth taking risks, but not wining a divisional game?

Allowing the defensive line to try and make a play instead of occupying a block. I realize it isn't that simple, but still.

Deciding to play pass defense behind the fucking line to gain. Stupid as anything I have ever seen, and I saw it from both Norton and Lake!

We are CONSTANTLY told by Pete how great the young guys are, then we are also told we have to be conservative because you just can't trust the young guys. Bullshit. Glad they made the decision to get aggressive early this time around, but I wish for once we wouldn't have to chose to be more aggressive, we would just start the season that way.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:46 pm
Rather than trying to read the play and occupy offensive linemen, the job has now become to be as disruptive as possible.
Yeah!

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:25 pm

The Raiders just released former 1st round pick Jonathan Abram at Safety. Seems like someone the Hawks might take a chance on given the injury to Adams and us having virtually no depth past Neal, Diggs, Jones.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:03 am

Defense over the last four weeks

First in yards-per-play allowed (4.27)
Tied for first in number of sacks (19) and third in pressures (39), all while bllitzing only 12 times, tied with the Atlanta Falcons for fourth fewest among all teams.
Second in batted passes (5)
Tied for second in turnovers generated (7)
Fifth overall in points per game (16.5

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:12 am

I noticed a couple weeks ago Shelby Harris said "This is the best record I've had in my career, I'll be damned if I let this go to waste. Write us off if you want to, we're gonna come smack you in the face."

Since then, he's been playing like an absolute beast. I think it's a snowball effect, when the team starts having success, guys get hyped up, play harder, and give just a little bit extra.

What I like about it most is he seems to really like it here.