Post Mortem - Hawks v Cards

D-train

Re: Post Mortem - Hawks v Cards

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm

4:50 mark is the Fant play. Watch Parkinson at the end of the play.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/highlights/
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:03 pm

Loving Parkinson this season. He made this great play on the TD in this vid and it was actually him that made sure Fant stayed in bounds..
Good think Pete spent a year feeding him so he could block better! I NEVER thought he would be anything more than a pass catching TE. He has become a pretty damn complete player. Best fucking TE room in the league, right? Maybe Baltimore can make an argument, but even with Edwards and Likely, they don't have that third guy. This group is almost as if the Patriots back in the Gronk and Hernandez days had another real good option. I don't think we have anyone of that level, but I also can't think of a team that has ever had three like we do.

Nice to be able to run without having a George Fant type run TE to put out there. This is probably a BIG part of the reason that bootleg pass to the TE works so well. They actually think we are going to run out of that set. Remember the one pass George Fant caught? He had no one in front of him for miles, ran like three steps and fell down. That is maybe the last time until this year I can remember any pass being that easy to get our TEs invovled.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:59 pm

Geno is the man!

Tyler Dragon, USA TODAY
Sun, November 6, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — When the Seattle Seahawks traded Russell Wilson in March, many believed the team would subsequently begin searching for its next franchise quarterback. Not many thought the quarterback was already in their building.

Geno Smith has reinvigorated his career as QB1 in Seattle.

Smith passed for 275 yards, two touchdowns to one interception and led the Seahawks to a 31-21 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. The Seahawks have swept the season series against the Cardinals and are in first place in the NFC West at 6-3.

"I’m happy as a team that we are getting the recognition that we deserve," Smith said.

Smith threw a costly interception in the third quarter that embodied his career prior to this season, tossing a pass right into Cardinals linebacker Zaven Collins’ hands for a pick-six to give Arizona a 14-10 lead.

Yet Smith’s next three drives were a classic example of his transformation this year for the surprising Seahawks -- poised, accurate, efficient and timely. He led Seattle on three straight touchdown drives after the interception.

“Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody messes up. Just overcome adversity. Overcome that interception,” Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf said of Smith. “You see how he answered the call and drove us down there for a touchdown. Just shows the type of person and quarterback we got.”

Not only has Smith played well, he has thoroughly outplayed his predecessor. Entering Week 9, Smith had the best completion percentage in the NFL (72.7%) and a top five passer rating (107.2). (Meanwhile, Wilson has thrown six touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 58.8% of his passes. He has an 83.6 passer rating.)

Smith completed 76.5% of his passes (26 of 34) and finished with a 106.9 passer rating in Sunday’s win over the Cardinals.

“Geno had another huge game for us,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. “He just did all his numbers again.”

It’s been an improbable comeback story for the 10-year veteran.

Smith had become a backup quarterback, making 29 of his 34 starts entering this season in his first two years with the New York Jets after being taken in the second round of the 2013 draft. Following a rocky tenure with the Jets (2013-16), Smith moved on to the New York Giants (2017) and Los Angeles Chargers (2018). He then signed with the Seahawks in 2019 and was even the backup in Seattle before the team traded Wilson to the Denver Broncos. Even going into training camp, quarterback Drew Lock, who came to Seattle in the Wilson trade, was the favorite to start for the Seahawks. But Smith held off Lock and has revitalized his career in the Pacific Northwest. Smith’s been a comeback player of the year candidate.

The Seahawks have taken on the persona of the 32-year-old quarterback. They are a team that isn’t fazed by the naysayers who counted them out to begin the season.

“We are just a resilient group. You look at it across the board. You have Geno (Smith) who came out of New York and kind of got shut out and had to sit in the back seat,” Seahawks safety Ryan Neal said. “You got me, who was undrafted. It’s just tons of dudes across the team to where it was all about scratching and clawing. We got Tyler Lockett, one of the smallest people in the league, but he’s making plays.

"We all have an underdog story. When you go out and see Geno do something like that, it just shows the theme of this team and the heart of this team. Like I said before, it’s us against the world.”

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:35 pm

Geno has the prototypical size for a QB and as an added bonus is an outstanding althlete who can really run. He's like duel threat QB who really makes his living in the pocket. That's pretty rare. He's also mature as hell. People forget he had a monster career at WVU - I think he had a 9 td game. He really can throw the ball as well as anyone. My God, if this team really makes a playoff run, aside from Seattle fans being giddy AF, imagine the horror of it all if you're wilson - he gets kicked to the curb and his old team flourishes and is the talk of the league - while his new team is in purgatory because of him and his contract. He's becoming public enemy number one in the Rockies. The fans are like "You stink!" and instead of playing better he just splashes on more perfume and uses it as a photo op to sell his crap - further enraging the fans. :lol:

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:36 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:35 pm
Geno has the prototypical size for a QB and as an added bonus is an outstanding althlete who can really run. He's like duel threat QB who really makes his living in the pocket.
Geno had an advertised 40 time of 4.59, which is better than average for a QB. But until recently I hadn't seen
much willingness for Geno to run. Josh Allen is slightly slower, but runs a lot, for comparison.
I hope we see Geno continue to inject the run into his game when needed.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:45 pm

trharder wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:36 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:35 pm
Geno has the prototypical size for a QB and as an added bonus is an outstanding althlete who can really run. He's like duel threat QB who really makes his living in the pocket.
Geno had an advertised 40 time of 4.59, which is better than average for a QB. But until recently I hadn't seen
much willingness for Geno to run. Josh Allen is slightly slower, but runs a lot, for comparison.
I hope we see Geno continue to inject the run into his game when needed.
It's amazing to see how the two QB's have been trained - Allen, a cowboy in college - has that cowboy aspect to his game - he's also a big dude who can wreak havoc on smaller players tryng to tackle him. His passing game has developed nicely in the NFL. Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position. Part of Wilson's flaw was getting to the LOS with 2.5 seconds left and not enough time to diagnose the situation and make the proper reads and adjustment - which led to the scramble drill - which was fine while iot was working - then it just became a three and out, or a 50 yard hail mary offense and it was painful and unsustainable. Wilson was too busy developing his brand versus developing his skills as an older QB in the league.

Wilson had exactly two audibles - the bomb to Lockett/Metcalk, or the hand off up the middle. Literally nothing else.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:04 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:45 pm

Part of Wilson's flaw was getting to the LOS with 2.5 seconds left and not enough time to diagnose the situation and make the proper reads and adjustment - which led to the scramble drill - which was fine while iot was working - then it just became a three and out, or a 50 yard hail mary offense and it was painful and unsustainable. Wilson was too busy developing his brand versus developing his skills as an older QB in the league.

Wilson had exactly two audibles - the bomb to Lockett/Metcalk, or the hand off up the middle. Literally nothing else.
Yep, and to think I blamed the play calling. Again, I have beat this dead horse enough, but it is pretty telling that those same problems now plague his new team.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm

auroraave wrote:
Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
100%

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:22 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
auroraave wrote:
Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
100%
The difference in the way the offense is run between geno and wilson is just stunning. hard to imagine the team producing like this after dumping wilson, but what is more shocking to me is just how f*cking limited wilson looks in the rear view. it's almost embarrassing for him. I've never seen anything like it. I say "almost' no, it really is. Bronco fans are looking into he lemon law on this guy - the image he's been selling versus reality. He sold himself as a ferrari when miata is more the reality. With the way he's dragging donkeynation down into the dark ages, maybe Titanic is more apt. Wait, no, the Titanic actually carried people before sinking. Wilson's the ultimate marketing fail and it's unfolding in real time. It's just so shocking - and yet the wounds are completely self inflicted. He's also gone way quieter on social media now. He must've hired a real PR team for damage control.
Last edited by auroraave on Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:25 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:22 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
auroraave wrote:
100%
The difference in the way the offense is run between geno and wilson is just stunning. hard to imagine the team producing like this after dumping wilson, but what is more shocking to me is just how f*cking limited wilson looks in the rear view. it's almost embarrassing for him. I've neve seen anything like it. I say "almost' no, it really is. Bronco fans are looking into he lemon law on this guy - the image he's been selling versus reality. He sold himself as a ferrari when miata is more the reality. With the way he's dragging donkeynation down into the dark ages, maybe Titanic is more apt. Wait, no, the Titanic actually carried people before sinking.
Especially when nothing changed after the two new OCs. Proof positive it was RW.
dt