Re: Post Mortem - Hawks v Cards

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:22 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:45 pm
Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
100%
The difference in the way the offense is run between geno and wilson is just stunning. hard to imagine the team producing like this after dumping wilson, but what is more shocking to me is just how f*cking limited wilson looks in the rear view. it's almost embarrassing for him. I've never seen anything like it. I say "almost' no, it really is. Bronco fans are looking into he lemon law on this guy - the image he's been selling versus reality. He sold himself as a ferrari when miata is more the reality. With the way he's dragging donkeynation down into the dark ages, maybe Titanic is more apt. Wait, no, the Titanic actually carried people before sinking. Wilson's the ultimate marketing fail and it's unfolding in real time. It's just so shocking - and yet the wounds are completely self inflicted. He's also gone way quieter on social media now. He must've hired a real PR team for damage control.
Maybe he should be looking at an endorsement deal with Lemon growers of America..
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:18 pm

auroraave wrote:
trharder wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:36 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:35 pm
Geno has the prototypical size for a QB and as an added bonus is an outstanding althlete who can really run. He's like duel threat QB who really makes his living in the pocket.
Geno had an advertised 40 time of 4.59, which is better than average for a QB. But until recently I hadn't seen
much willingness for Geno to run. Josh Allen is slightly slower, but runs a lot, for comparison.
I hope we see Geno continue to inject the run into his game when needed.
It's amazing to see how the two QB's have been trained - Allen, a cowboy in college - has that cowboy aspect to his game - he's also a big dude who can wreak havoc on smaller players tryng to tackle him. His passing game has developed nicely in the NFL. Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
You were the one using the term "duel threat". In the past that was considered a less than type QB. Only the Brady, Manning, Marino
style was elite. I don't think that stigma still exists. My point is taking the yards available with your legs is not just an athletic thing,
for a QB, it's a willingness thing. From a pro Geno perspective, I appreciate when he chooses to take the yards. I think he recently
has used it to show leadership and grit. I hope he keeps doing it.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:22 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
auroraave wrote:
Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
100%
The difference in the way the offense is run between geno and wilson is just stunning. hard to imagine the team producing like this after dumping wilson, but what is more shocking to me is just how f*cking limited wilson looks in the rear view. it's almost embarrassing for him. I've never seen anything like it. I say "almost' no, it really is. Bronco fans are looking into he lemon law on this guy - the image he's been selling versus reality. He sold himself as a ferrari when miata is more the reality. With the way he's dragging donkeynation down into the dark ages, maybe Titanic is more apt. Wait, no, the Titanic actually carried people before sinking. Wilson's the ultimate marketing fail and it's unfolding in real time. It's just so shocking - and yet the wounds are completely self inflicted. He's also gone way quieter on social media now. He must've hired a real PR team for damage control.
https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/t-j-l ... ilson-fake

From the article (and pretty much a reiteration of aurora's comment):

“I think Russell Wilson is one of the least authentic personalities we have in this league,” said NFL Network’s Kyle Brandt. “I think Russell Wilson is a poser. That doesn’t mean he’s a bad person, actually he’s a good person. I think he tries to be something that he’s not. And, when you make $245 million, you’ve either got to be a really good guy with a locker room who loves you, or you’ve got to be an amazing player. (Tom) Brady, who makes half of what Russell’s making, is both. (Aaron) Rodgers, MVP, Patrick Mahomes, both. (Josh) Allen, people love him, he’s amazing. Kyler (Murray), we’ll find out.

“Russell Wilson, first of all, the Broncos fanbase has no history with him, no allegiance to him. This is not a Seahawks thing where they drafted him, they grew up with him, he’s their guy. This is not that. I worked the NFL Honors, I worked the red carpet. (Travis) Kelce comes by, Rodgers comes by, Russell Wilson comes by with his sunglasses and his wife, and I think they think they’re Jay-Z and Beyonce. They will literally put their hand up, and say, ‘We’re not talking.’ Why? Because you think you’re that cool and that famous and that amazing and everything is so perfect. That does not work in a locker room, unless you are really good or a really good guy.”

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:37 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 pm
I worked the NFL Honors, I worked the red carpet. (Travis) Kelce comes by, Rodgers comes by, Russell Wilson comes by with his sunglasses and his wife, and I think they think they’re Jay-Z and Beyonce. They will literally put their hand up, and say, ‘We’re not talking.’ Why? Because you think you’re that cool and that famous and that amazing and everything is so perfect. That does not work in a locker room, unless you are really good or a really good guy.”
I mentioned this when he said it. THIS was the part that hit the hardest to me. I was blown away. Hardly sounds like the guy who came here so many years ago right? THIS is what Aurora has been saying for years, that he is all about the image, that he has gone Hollywood. THIS was the statement right after the Thursday Night that we beat them that stood out to me, and I was shocked wasn't more of the conversation in here. Sorry, I played that back when he said it. Couldn't believe it.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:55 am

More funny stuff...

USA TODAY SportsUSA TODAY Sports

Russell Wilson responds to Pete Carroll's wristband jab: 'We won a lot of games without one'

Cydney Henderson, USA TODAY
Wed, November 9, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.

Russell Wilson's split with the Seattle Seahawks continues to get ugly.

Head coach Pete Carrol took a subtle jab at Wilson, who signed with the Denver Broncos this offseason after 10 years and one Super Bowl title together in Seattle.

While talking about the Seahawks' success under Geno Smith, Carroll applauded Smith's willingness to wear a wristband with the play-call sheet, unlike his predecessor.

"If you notice, Geno's going off the wristband, and that's a big help," Carroll said on Seattle Sports 710 Monday after Seattle's 31-21 win against the Arizona Cardinals. "It's smoothed things out, sped things up, cleaned things up. And that's part of it, too. We never did that before. There was resistance to that, so we didn't do that before."

Although Carroll didn't address Wilson directly, Wilson responded on Wednesday.

"We won a lot of games without one on the wrist," Wilson said during a news conference on Wednesday. "I didn't know winning or losing matter whether you wore a wristband or not. But I think, do whatever it takes to make sure that we're rolling and moving and everything else. A few times I (have) definitely worn a wristband depending on the game plan and what we have called and all that stuff."

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:15 am

Remember Pete catching heat for not involving Russell I the game planning more, maybe there was a reason

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:29 am

trharder wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:18 pm
auroraave wrote:
trharder wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:36 pm

Geno had an advertised 40 time of 4.59, which is better than average for a QB. But until recently I hadn't seen
much willingness for Geno to run. Josh Allen is slightly slower, but runs a lot, for comparison.
I hope we see Geno continue to inject the run into his game when needed.
It's amazing to see how the two QB's have been trained - Allen, a cowboy in college - has that cowboy aspect to his game - he's also a big dude who can wreak havoc on smaller players tryng to tackle him. His passing game has developed nicely in the NFL. Geno's DNA is pure pocket passer first - not looking to run unless the defense makes that the best option. He is all about the best option the defense is giving him. That's really how you need to play the position.
You were the one using the term "duel threat". In the past that was considered a less than type QB. Only the Brady, Manning, Marino
style was elite. I don't think that stigma still exists. My point is taking the yards available with your legs is not just an athletic thing,
for a QB, it's a willingness thing. From a pro Geno perspective, I appreciate when he chooses to take the yards. I think he recently
has used it to show leadership and grit. I hope he keeps doing it.
And honestly, there is nothing wrong with the 'duel threat' type of skill set - not everyone has the skills to sit in the pocket and disect the defense, both have huge upsides, both can be equally productive in different ways. It's not an either/or for me, both are great to watch when they are thriving, but the big difference is, IMO, the more you are the duel threat type, the less likely you are to be an elite pocket passer - it's just rare. Vick was good. Jackson is decent but I see a limited window for him. On great thing about college football is often times the less talented teams run option offenses and variations as a way to compete - and it can work. If you are an older QB who made his (or her!) living doing the scramble drill, the odds are higher that you never fully developed you pocket potential - and I think that is what's dooming Wilson, that and his complete lack of interest over the last few seasons. Hard to improve your skills set when you are focused on your branding and legacy above all else, and this is 100% the result of that, IMO.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:54 am

grammar cop alert: Michael Vick and Russell Wilson used to be a dual threat. Lamar Jackson is the ultimate dual threat. but "duel" threat as seen in this thread? have to give that to Aaron Burr or Alexander Hamilton. ;)

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:37 am

A friend just told me he read the Seahawks have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFC, that true?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 pm

Yes according to this...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/fpi