Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:36 am

In a stricter sense, believe he is doing them Waldron's way

SeattleAddict

Re: Every thing is about RW......

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:49 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:36 am
true. In this particular case, I was thinking Pete wanted the QB to wear a wristband, but on a side note, Waldron is not getting nearly as much credit as he should. He is calling some sweet ass games, playing to the strengths of his players, avoiding weaknesses. That 3 TE set is fucking teams up, and that misdirection bootleg pass has worked every single time. Eventually, I think somebody will figure that play out, and then I expect them to pull out the counter to it. I can't wait to see it.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:29 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:49 am
Donn Beach wrote:
true. In this particular case, I was thinking Pete wanted the QB to wear a wristband, but on a side note, Waldron is not getting nearly as much credit as he should. He is calling some sweet ass games, playing to the strengths of his players, avoiding weaknesses. That 3 TE set is fucking teams up, and that misdirection bootleg pass has worked every single time. Eventually, I think somebody will figure that play out, and then I expect them to pull out the counter to it. I can't wait to see it.
What's sad is this really makes the previous OC's look like the fall guys for Wilson's limitations in running a complex offense. Why is the playbook so much bigger with him gone? The longer he is gone the bigger the phony he has turned out to be. Wilson is the guy who always embraced the credit and the attention for wins but was rarely ever culpable in a loss. It's embarrassing for him how much better off this team is withOUT him. His ego must be taking a serious beating.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:24 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:29 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
What's sad is this really makes the previous OC's look like the fall guys for Wilson's limitations in running a complex offense. Why is the playbook so much bigger with him gone? The longer he is gone the bigger the phony he has turned out to be. Wilson is the guy who always embraced the credit and the attention for wins but was rarely ever culpable in a loss. It's embarrassing for him how much better off this team is withOUT him. His ego must be taking a serious beating.
So true. It makes me wonder why SEA bothered signing Wilson to that first fat contract to begin with. Perhaps to increase his value in the eyes of others to set up the inevitable trade? I guess they weren't comfortable with Geno. Or they weren't completely aware of Wilson's limitations at the time.

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:59 pm

I think what it boils down to is RW's true gift was as a point guard type QB who was extremely mobile and game to do
whatever it took to win. It's easy to forget, but the first 1/4 of RW's career he was underrated. He really could make
every throw in the playbook, but taking off running was what allowed him to compensate for bad pocket presence
and not being able to see for shit. As the NFL narrative began to catch up with how good RW actually was, he was
already declining. Add to that, what earlier just appeared to be nervous cliche chatter in interviews, became actual
narcissistic believing his own bull shit and failure to understand his own limitations.

Us fans that watched him every week knew his limitations, but still there was part of us that suspected Pete was
to blame. Even if publicly arguing the opposite. It was hard to put blame when the Seahawks were still winning
most of their games and going to the playoffs every year. BUT, as anyone can remember, we KNEW it was off and
whined despite the record. Us fans have been vindicated as well.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:24 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:24 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:29 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:

So true. It makes me wonder why SEA bothered signing Wilson to that first fat contract to begin with. Perhaps to increase his value in the eyes of others to set up the inevitable trade? I guess they weren't comfortable with Geno. Or they weren't completely aware of Wilson's limitations at the time.
Wilson deserved the contracts - he did well in a limited system - especially when the RPO was a staple of the offense with Lynch. Wilson thrived in that type of athleticism based offense. He has a great arm, and plenty of intangibles - he was a "franchise quarterback" until he wasn't. Seattle was smart to stay with him, but once he 'checked out' on the team about 3-4 years ago - the drop off was glaring and the writing was on the wall - for me anyway, after that lambs playoff loss. Then I wanted him gone - you could see where this was going - a QB who over values himself and cannot carry an offense, wanting a huge franchise QB $$$$ extension, without being a truly franchise QB anymore - and it was gonna be ugly. PC and JC played this perfectly, especially considering the haul they got for the perfume mogul.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:00 pm

trharder wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:47 am
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:29 am
is this another subtle jab at Russ?
https://twitter.com/TheBGustafson/statu ... de%3Dfalse
I vote yes.
Well, yeah, but he's just stating fact as well.
Are we to believe all the time management trouble and late out of the huddle BS before was because RW wouldn't wear
a wrist band cheat sheet? lol. IDK, but this offense flat out runs better this year.
No, it's not becauses he didn't wear the wrist band, it's because he didn't buy into the game plan. It is plain and simple to me, all the problems in Seattle...clock management, three and outs, line can't block, need more weapons...I am sure I am missing some. All of those I remember reading about this off season, how Russ had moved on from that to greener pastures in Denver. NOW? All of those things are a problem in Denver! Strange.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:24 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm

Sounds like there is more to the wrist band than we may know. I saw a video about this last night. Freaking unbelievable. Russ is calling audibles and using language from Seattle!?

Analysis: As Russell Wilson’s struggles continue, frustration in Denver mounts

Bob Condotta By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
The Russell Wilson-Denver Broncos honeymoon has long since ended.

But is the marriage already beginning to fray?

It’s a topic that will interest Seattle sports fans as long as Wilson is in Denver, but more so now. The Seahawks own Denver’s first-round draft pick in 2023 after the trade in March that sent the longtime Seattle star quarterback to Denver.

The NFL draft order is determined by teams’ records from the previous season. So the worse the Broncos finish in 2022, the higher the Seahawks would pick in 2023.

And in the wake of another disappointing Denver loss Sunday, which ended with Wilson throwing an interception, came an accusation that seemed to signal that Broncos fans — and maybe even some in the organization — have become increasingly frustrated and are questioning where things may be headed.

On Wednesday, former Broncos offensive lineman Tyler Polumbus — who played for Seattle in 2010-11 — said on Altitude Sports Radio Denver that Wilson at times is confusing his offensive teammates by calling audibles with code words from his days in Seattle.

“Russ is losing his mind out there,” Polumbus said during a discussion of Wilson’s struggles with the Broncos. “He’s at the line of scrimmaging using audibles from the Seahawks. The guys don’t know the audibles. He’s using code words that the guys don’t know what the code words are.

“And they are coming back to the huddle and they are like, ‘Dude, what are you saying up there? We don’t know what the play, we don’t know what that is?’ He’s losing his mind right now.”

That comment came after Scott Hastings, a former NBA player and longtime sports-talk host, said he has heard of “a disconnect between Russ and [Denver coach Nathaniel] Hackett from the start. … I heard that they also, that it’s legit, that Russ has these sets of plays he wants to run, and Hackett wants him to run these sets of plays, and right now there is no compromise and that Russ is audibling out of too many calls.”

And maybe as newsworthy as the veracity of the accusations — and certainly, they are juicy — is that they are being made.

Somebody, or some bodies, is/are is feeding Polumbus and Hastings that information with Denver’s season, and the perception of the Wilson trade, having gone more sideways than anyone could have imagined.

Just past the halfway point of Wilson’s first season in Denver, the Broncos are stuck with the NFL’s worst offense in terms of points scored — the only stat that really matters — and with a 3-6 record.

Wilson is mired in by far his worst season, with just seven touchdown passes in eight games — a TD percentage of just 2.6% after he averaged 6.2% in is 10 years with Seattle — and a QB rating of 81.4 compared with his Seattle rating of 101.8.

He’s also rushed for just 15.1 yards per game, about half his Seattle average of 29.7.

That Seattle is 6-4 and has a surprisingly efficient offense led by Geno Smith — even with Sunday’s loss to the Buccaneers in Munich — adds intrigue.

Was it the Seahawks and coach Pete Carroll propping up Wilson all those years and not the other way around? Or were the Seahawks that prescient in seeing that Wilson was in decline — he turns 34 on Nov. 29 — and able to pull one over on Denver?

Those aren’t questions easily answered yet.

But that they are being asked is evidence of what a disaster this season has been for Denver.

The Broncos’ offense has struggled, and they are wasting a historically great season by their defense, which ranks first in the NFL in fewest points allowed and second in fewest yards allowed.

And as noted, for this season, that can be a huge benefit for the Seahawks, who already are smiling giddily from the early returns of the Wilson deal.

Seattle received tight end Noah Fant, defensive lineman Shelby Harris and quarterback Drew Lock, and first- and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023. Seattle used those 2022 picks on left tackle Charles Cross — who has played all but two offensive snaps for the Seahawks, appearing on the verge of becoming a foundational piece of the offense for years — and outside linebacker Boye Mafe.

And in the gift that will keep on giving, if the season ended today Seattle would have the seventh overall pick. Seattle also gets Denver’s pick in the second round — which currently would be 43rd overall.

Combined with the Seahawks’ picks — which as of today would be Nos. 22 and 54 — and they are in prime position to make another draft killing as they did in 2022.

Then there’s the contract Seattle didn’t want to give Wilson. But the Broncos did before he’d played a game for them — a five-year extension through the 2028 season paying him up to $296 million overall (when including the two years already on the deal) with $124 million guaranteed.

“I want to be here for a long time,” Wilson said during a celebratory news conference Sept. 1 to announce the extension. “I believe this is a marriage, and I want to be here for a long time. My goal is to be able to finish my career here.”

For now, he must overcome a start rockier than anyone could have envisioned.

Bob Condotta: 206-515-5699 or bcondotta@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @bcondotta. Bob Condotta covers the Seahawks for the Seattle Times. He provides daily coverage of the team throughout the year.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... subscriber

douche

Post by douche » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:40 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm
Sounds like there is more to the wrist band than we may know. I saw a video about this last night. Freaking unbelievable. Russ is calling audibles and using language from Seattle!?

Not surprising, though. Lockett was reading Wilson's signals in that first game of the season. What is surprising is that he's still doing it after 9 games.