Re: Rumors about Geno extension

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:42 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:39 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:15 pm

If I was Geno I would get it done now. Given his history and the fact he is Second in passer rating, what is he waiting for? Minimal upside relative to him turning back into a 2013 9 year old rotten Pumpkin
Agreed. If you were Geno, it might make more sense to get it done quickly. That said, I hope it doesn't turn ugly.

And Geno isn't going to turn into a pumpkin, he's going to light it up all season. Let's be optimistic :D
Absolutely, He could get injured at any time and blow his shot at a big payday. If I am him I am getting that contract as soon as possible. He has career earnings are at about 13 Million. He could probably quadruple that easily with a new contract right now. If I am him I wouldn't want to risk a ACL or a shoulder injury that could put my value at risk.
That too! 65 PFF rating this week. Regressing to the mean is likely as well. Defenses are not longer taking him lightly.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:56 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:18 pm
I think you're all delusional if you think he'll sign for 10-15 million.The league average for a QB is around $25 million, and he's playing at AT LEAST a Pro Bowl level, and pretty damn close to MVP level. If you think some team out there won't offer him $30m, you're fooling yourself.

Now maybe he gives the Seahawks a home-town discount, say $25m, with an absolute basement of 22, but I wouldn't count on it. He has this ONE window of opportunity to cash in.

All of this is assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff production-wise, of course.

The question is at what price do you not do it? The team has other needs and a bunch of draft capital, so you could look to the draft or a trade.
Too much of a SSS to drop that much coin imo. Also very possible he isn't available for 3 games next season.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:18 pm
I think you're all delusional if you think he'll sign for 10-15 million.The league average for a QB is around $25 million, and he's playing at AT LEAST a Pro Bowl level, and pretty damn close to MVP level. If you think some team out there won't offer him $30m, you're fooling yourself.

Now maybe he gives the Seahawks a home-town discount, say $25m, with an absolute basement of 22, but I wouldn't count on it. He has this ONE window of opportunity to cash in.

All of this is assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff production-wise, of course.

The question is at what price do you not do it? The team has other needs and a bunch of draft capital, so you could look to the draft or a trade.
Yeah he wont sign for 10-15 Mil. But you need to consider his age and lack of track record. Teams aren't going to throw the moon at him and make him a top paid QB. I think if you offered him 3 years 60 Million with about half of it guaranteed and include some bonuses that could post him in to the upper 20's with a top performance he might bite on that now and forgo the risk of trying to make it to the end of the year so he can test the open market.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:41 pm

It's funny, these guys always want to extend, but right now? Extending with Seattle might not be his best option. Are we going to offer him as many years and as much money as someone else? I kind of doubt it. My guess is someone like Carolina, Indy, Houston, Vegas, Detroit, Atlanta or New Orleans might be very interested in paying him more than us. Hell, maybe even Washington, Tampa or the Rams. I wouldn't rule out New England, Tennessee or Pittsburgh either.

If the Hawks low ball him, or make the deal very short, he might just decide to finish the year and see what the open market brings.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:35 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Yeah he wont sign for 10-15 Mil. But you need to consider his age and lack of track record. Teams aren't going to throw the moon at him and make him a top paid QB. I think if you offered him 3 years 60 Million with about half of it guaranteed and include some bonuses that could post him in to the upper 20's with a top performance he might bite on that now and forgo the risk of trying to make it to the end of the year so he can test the open market.
Have you watched the NFL the past 5-7 years? NFL teams absolutely throw the moon at a good QB. The Browns gave a quarter billion dollars to a sexual predator. The Donkeys gave a quarter billion to a guy that never took a snap for them. Kirk Cousins, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Jimmy G all make north of $27 million and none of them are worth a shit. After that group (plus the ones that get paid and are actually good), there's a big drop off - like half the salary. That's why it'll be interesting... if he signs for a second-tier level around $15m, it'd be an absolute slam dunk for the team... but a $30+ million deal would be crippling. Do I think he's WORTH $30m? no... but there is a very real and good possibility he might ASK for that, and a very real possibility that somebody would give it to him.

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:56 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:41 pm
It's funny, these guys always want to extend, but right now? Extending with Seattle might not be his best option. Are we going to offer him as many years and as much money as someone else? I kind of doubt it. My guess is someone like Carolina, Indy, Houston, Vegas, Detroit, Atlanta or New Orleans might be very interested in paying him more than us. Hell, maybe even Washington, Tampa or the Rams. I wouldn't rule out New England, Tennessee or Pittsburgh either.
If the Hawks low ball him, or make the deal very short, he might just decide to finish the year and see what the open market brings.
Maybe.
I don't see Geno leaving Daddy Pete right now. He saw what happened to RW. I think he's buying in and wants to try and win a ring. He's pretty sure this is his best chance. Brock, Salk and their guests have been trying to put together historic comparisons to Geno. First it was Rich Gannon. This morning it was Hasselbeck. They are making these comparisons as if it's a great compliment to Geno. These are Seahawk homers. Regardless of what other teams think of Geno right now, it's unlikely IMO that any other team will love 32yo Geno more than Pete does right now.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 am

I think other teams might look at him similarly to how the odds makers did who made 45 yo Brady and his team the favorites over Geno on Sunday....
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 am
I think other teams might look at him similarly to how the odds makers did who made 45 yo Brady and his team the favorites over Geno on Sunday....
Exactly.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:35 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:35 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Have you watched the NFL the past 5-7 years? NFL teams absolutely throw the moon at a good QB. The Browns gave a quarter billion dollars to a sexual predator. The Donkeys gave a quarter billion to a guy that never took a snap for them. Kirk Cousins, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Jimmy G all make north of $27 million and none of them are worth a shit. After that group (plus the ones that get paid and are actually good), there's a big drop off - like half the salary. That's why it'll be interesting... if he signs for a second-tier level around $15m, it'd be an absolute slam dunk for the team... but a $30+ million deal would be crippling. Do I think he's WORTH $30m? no... but there is a very real and good possibility he might ASK for that, and a very real possibility that somebody would give it to him.
Most of those guys either had a much longer track record than Geno's 10 game stretch or they were younger in their 20's with more potential upside when they signed those contracts. He might get more on the open Market but no one else can offer him immediate security that has him covered if he tanks in the last seven games or comes down with an injury. I think that 20 Million with incentives that can push it into the high 20's would be very attracitve to Geno.

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 am

Best move is to let this season play out. Pretty sure the Hawks have made private assurances to Geno that he won't get low-balled, will always be a part of the Hawk Family and let's take a look at what he wants to do after the season ends and everyone sees what's what.