Rumors about Geno extension

Donn Beach

Re: Rumors about Geno extension

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:19 am

. Pete Carroll on Geno Smith: "We've got our guy."

The coach says of Smith's contract ending: "We've got some business there (to get done), of course
I don't see anything new there. The reason they want to re-sign Geno is because he's their guy, what other reason would there be to do it? Maybe it's a stronger statement than has been given. They have been pushing it's the system not the QB deal. But they are not viewing Geno as some kind of bridge to someone else. They definitely aren't going to franchise him in order to avoid a multi year contract. They want a multi year contract. In fact the one they gave RW is probably a pretty good model, was it a four year deal?

Hmmmm... maybe $30 mil over two years isn't going to fly
.Geno Smith's starting point in contract discussions should be north of Russell Wilson's $35M per year from his last Seahawks deal in 2019. It will practically be a 4-year-old deal by the time Smith signs. Smith definitely had a better 2022 season than his predecessor

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:55 am
ddraig wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:44 am
True, but draftees are a gamble. I'd rather go after two proven FA DL types than pay Geno the money he's likely to demand. Then draft for defense as well.
Free agency should be very interesting this year. I'd be fine letting Geno walk if that's what Pete and JS decide.
Did you not hear what Pete said today??? Literally said Geno is their guy going forward.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Bob calls PC out on pulling stuff out of his ass.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 pm
trharder wrote:
ddraig wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:44 am
True, but draftees are a gamble. I'd rather go after two proven FA DL types than pay Geno the money he's likely to demand. Then draft for defense as well.
Free agency should be very interesting this year. I'd be fine letting Geno walk if that's what Pete and JS decide.
Did you not hear what Pete said today??? Literally said Geno is their guy going forward.
That is true, DT. I did not hear what Pete Carroll said on Monday when I wrote that on Sunday. That would literally be impossible.
However, I'm not even a little bit surprised by what Pete said.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:26 pm

trharder wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:52 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 pm
trharder wrote:

That is true, DT. I did not hear what Pete Carroll said on Monday when I wrote that on Sunday. That would literally be impossible.
However, I'm not even a little bit surprised by what Pete said.
Sorry, my bad.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:19 am

Nevertheless, Smith is worth bringing back and at least publicly Pete Carroll has said the team loves him and wants him back. Over the weekend NFL Network reported that Smth will return in 2023, one way or another.
What's that mean, they would franchise him?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:02 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:19 am
Nevertheless, Smith is worth bringing back and at least publicly Pete Carroll has said the team loves him and wants him back. Over the weekend NFL Network reported that Smth will return in 2023, one way or another.
What's that mean, they would franchise him?
Yep, last resort but it is on the table like I suggest recently...
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:10 pm

The narrative has seemed to change, they are in negotiations now

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:35 pm

I don't understand why people try to read so much into what PC says at a presser. what else is he going to say about Geno? "maybe he's our guy?...." "We kinda like him but we're not sure...?" Of course he's going to say that - they want him back and they should - but that doesn't mean to the exclusion of all other options. JS is not an idiot - he is 100% scouting all the QB talent out there and will draft someone who makes sense. I would bet the farm JS is the guy who wanted Wilson outta there, he could telegraph what was happening, so he understands Geno's value to the team - but also understands that he is not a long term solution. You STILL have to draft for the future. That's the fundamental aspect of running a team that too many people just don't understand - like drafting Brooks when you already have Bobby and KJ. People on here were lamenting it as some failure. You don't draft the day after you have the positional need - you anticipate the need and the player trajectory and draft ahead of the problem. This is the most basic concept of team building. Yeah, Geno is their guy, that's a no brainer considering the current options on the roster, let's keep him in the fold, but that doesn't mean JS isn't looking at long term solutions. Seattle could end up drafting someone who beats Geno out.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:09 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:35 pm
I don't understand why people try to read so much into what PC says at a presser. what else is he going to say about Geno? "maybe he's our guy?...." "We kinda like him but we're not sure...?" Of course he's going to say that - they want him back and they should - but that doesn't mean to the exclusion of all other options. JS is not an idiot - he is 100% scouting all the QB talent out there and will draft someone who makes sense. I would bet the farm JS is the guy who wanted Wilson outta there, he could telegraph what was happening, so he understands Geno's value to the team - but also understands that he is not a long term solution. You STILL have to draft for the future. That's the fundamental aspect of running a team that too many people just don't understand - like drafting Brooks when you already have Bobby and KJ. People on here were lamenting it as some failure. You don't draft the day after you have the positional need - you anticipate the need and the player trajectory and draft ahead of the problem. This is the most basic concept of team building. Yeah, Geno is their guy, that's a no brainer considering the current options on the roster, let's keep him in the fold, but that doesn't mean JS isn't looking at long term solutions. Seattle could end up drafting someone who beats Geno out.
Agree with almost every word of that. I also think that people shouldn't read into what Geno says either. He had a great year and we made the playoffs. Of course he wants to stay here, but he isn't taking a shit ton less to stay here if he is offered more somewhere else.

I disagree that a playoff contender should draft a LB like Brooks when they already had Wags and KJ. Inside LB is NOT a rarity. There would have been chances in other drafts. Depth? Fuck that, why? Queen played immediately and has been pretty good. Why draft a guy like C Mike or Brooks to provide depth when by the time you are going to want them to play they will be about ready for a second contract? Three years in they need to learn how to be a starter because we had a guy in front of them that we didn't intend to replace yet? THAT was a mistake, and still is. We just watched one of the worst run defenses in the NFL for a long stretch at the end of the season. Brooks was on the field when we were at our worst. We actually played better defense with Barton and Muse!