Went to the game - my thoughts.

IStillLoveTheMs

Went to the game - my thoughts.

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am

There's very real potential that our first 2 picks in the 2018 draft are going to be total busts:

Rasheem Green played a lot of football tonight. He didn't record a tackle. He didn't provide any pressure. He was worthless out there. One play totally sticks out... a run to his side, he totally lost vision of the football, didn't know the play was headed to his side of the field when his job is to seal the edge of the line... just stood there getting blocked and lack of awareness led to 18 yard run. I saw him get visibly frustrated after the play... he clapped his hands and screamed... Not good.

Rashaad Penny is just not an adequate back. He's slow... has no vision... has one move. Oh, and he can't block... Totally blown pick with Sony Michelle and Nick Chubb taken right behind him. CJ Prosise, who has barely played in 2 years, made him look like a total scrub.

Who else sucked?

Our secondary depth is no bueno. Ugo Amadi has potential in the slot... but elsewhere? Eek. Pray we don't have any injuries about the starters... Akeem King, Niko Thorpe... these dudes have been around for a while and still just aren't very good.

Our edge rushers. We have no pass rush. I'm kind of on the Clowney bandwagon now. It's gonna be a long season if he can't get pressure on opposing QB's.

The positive:

CJ Prosise is a good running back so long as the wind generated while he's running doesn't fracture his frail bones. Stay healthy CJ... we need a change of pace back to Carson.

On that note, Chris Carson is a FUCKING DUDE.

The starting offensive line seems quite solid. I'm pretty happy there. Germaine Ifedi seems to have found a happy medium.

John Ursua is literally Lockett 2.0... I really hope they don't make some moronic move and cut him but keep a guy like Kenan Reynolds who is utterly worthless. I'd actually like to give Ursua a chance at kickoffs.

Concerns:

What's going on with our TE's... I'm sure its been written somewhere but I'm not too sold on what we've been trotting out there. Are Dissley, Dickson and Vannett just not gonna play until the season starts?

I'm glad that Russ is obviously comfortable throwing to Lockett and Brown... but what about the other guys? Jazz Ferguson didn't get a ball thrown in his direction from Russ, but started... Who the hell is Malik Turner and why was he with the #1's? I was really hoping to see Ursua and Jennings get a chance to catch some passes from Russ.

ThePro

Re: Went to the game - my thoughts.

Post by ThePro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am

Rashaad Penny is not a rookie. His spot on the roster is set. He showed he can be effective in the regular season .

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:26 pm

ThePro wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am
Rashaad Penny is not a rookie. His spot on the roster is set. He showed he can be effective in the regular season .
Christine Michael 2.0... with less talent.

He'll be gone by 2021 after hardly seeing the field in 2020. Mark it.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm

hardly sees the field in 2021?...ok its marked

Logainismyhero

Post by Logainismyhero » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Have to agree. Penny is/will be a bust.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 pm

really...ok, even with the slow start last season he managed to average 4.9 yards a carry as rookie...seems a bit harsh to call him a bust

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Totally agree on Green, disagree on Penny. And yes, just send in the Clown already - these blitzes that work in preseason will kill us against Roethlisberger and Brees week 2 and 3.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I thought Penny looked great in the two play sequence leading to the touchdown
The catch and run down to the 1 yard line went through several tacklers and then he billed his way into the end zone.
Carson is #1, but Penny produces too.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 pm
really...ok, even with the slow start last season he managed to average 4.9 yards a carry as rookie...seems a bit harsh to call him a bust
Is per carry average, IMO, was a by product of his athleticism. When the play is there, or on the few times it broke down and he was able to change directions, he can do serious damage in the open field. Certainly has the ability...look at the two plays before the TD.

But he stops his feet when the defense has the upper hand, he slips and falls more than any back we have had since Alexander was broken down, and he just doesn't get you positive yardage if the play isn't perfect. I was excited about him when we got him...but have been pretty down in him ever since he couldn't beat out Mike Davis for second string!

That being said...his skill set should be the perfect fit to back up Carson...right?

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Apparently Texans fear Lamar Miller has a torn ACL... include Penny in a pkg for Clowney?

@Michael ... I like Prosise better in that role if he can stay healthy.