Draft Simulator Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Draft Simulator Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 pm

A QB that we are promised will become great at a later date after sitting a season, but it's Torrence that's hyped lol

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:29 pm

Helps when you have the most athletic quarterback in recent memory.

Bucky also had us taking Carter at 5. Again. And Richardson falling to 20.

He’s not a first round talent. He’ll get pushed up there because he was a preseason darling and those kids don’t fall in mock drafts. He got schooled in the Senior Bowl practices. Got pushed back to where the quarterback would be in almost every rep. Yet those were called wins for him.

We have bigger needs than that. Let someone else try to unlock that somehow.
Hmmm. MAYBE we have bigger needs, but right now we have Phil Haynes starting at RG, so it's a pretty solid need. You continually say we need to draft a QB at 5, a position where we have a Pro Bowler and a recent 2nd round pick as a backup, yet guard isn't a need at 20 or 37?

Oh, and I'm not a believer in Brooks' mock, but Carter at 5 and Richardson at 20 is 10000x more plausible than Torrence dropping to the 4th.
Maybe drafting for need, ignoring positional value, is a great way to draft in the top 5 each year, y’all.

Here's a video link

https://youtu.be/DG7fQAN0iLA

Torrence is getting rocked in these drills. Avila and Broeker look good, both should be available late R2 or R3. Ekiyor should be there in R3 as well.

The point though is that Guard really isn’t a consideration until after R3.

If you really want to go the OL route, suggest Dawand Jones, Wright, Bergeron, and kick Abe Lucas inside. Hard to imagine them outperforming Abe though.

If the Seahawks want to spend a 2nd round pick on a RG there are far, far better options than Torrence. Wright and Dawand may be available and would give them flexibility at RT should they need it. And they’re just better than Torrence.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:42 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 pm
=

Maybe drafting for need, ignoring positional value, is a great way to draft in the top 5 each year, y’all.

Here's a video link

Torrence is getting rocked in these drills. Avila and Broeker look good, both should be available late R2 or R3. Ekiyor should be there in R3 as well.

If you really want to go the OL route, suggest Dawand Jones, Wright, Bergeron, and kick Abe Lucas inside. Hard to imagine them outperforming Abe though.

If the Seahawks want to spend a 2nd round pick on a RG there are far, far better options than Torrence. Wright and Dawand may be available and would give them flexibility at RT should they need it. And they’re just better than Torrence.
I don't know how you could possibly say he was "getting rocked" - he stood up every guy except one that kinda ran around him, and pancaked another dude. One takeaway from that video is that JMS is immovable and needs to be our future C.

You are right there are a couple of tackles that could be moved inside that might be higher quality picks, and guard is absolutely a lower value position from a draft perspective, but there are NOT "far, far better options than Torrence", you are literally the only person on the planet saying that.

I am sick of getting mid-tier, barely-NFL-quality linemen in the mid rounds. The best teams have great lines, and those lines are usually built with high draft picks, with an occasional win in the later rounds. This goes for both sides of the ball. Personally, I want to see some big DTs added first, but getting a stud OL is also fine, especially with 5 picks in the top 83.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:47 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:42 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
=

Here's a video link

I don't know how you could possibly say he was "getting rocked" - he stood up every guy except one that kinda ran around him, and pancaked another dude. One takeaway from that video is that JMS is immovable and needs to be our future C.

You are right there are a couple of tackles that could be moved inside that might be higher quality picks, and guard is absolutely a lower value position from a draft perspective, but there are NOT "far, far better options than Torrence", you are literally the only person on the planet saying that.

I am sick of getting mid-tier, barely-NFL-quality linemen in the mid rounds. The best teams have great lines, and those lines are usually built with high draft picks, with an occasional win in the later rounds. This goes for both sides of the ball. Personally, I want to see some big DTs added first, but getting a stud OL is also fine, especially with 5 picks in the top 83.
On this forum I may be. But there are dozens who feel the same way I do. Here's another guy for instance that I've been speaking with recently had to say about the Guard position.

Yes, we have a 33 year old Pro Bowler at QB who was one of the worst QBs in the league for most of his 10 year career prior to last year and is very likely in line for a severe regression, and whose contract makes it extremely easy to move on from him in a year or two. And honestly, who even cares about Lock at this point? He’s on a 1 year, incentive-laden deal suitable for a backup, and probably won’t be with the team beyond that. He’s also 26 and has shown very little ability to be a starter in this league so far. Even if Geno gets hurt and somehow Lock lights it up, you’re stuck once again having to hand out a big QB contract, so he is absolutely not a long-term answer either.

Guard is a need but not one of our bigger needs. We have two competent if uninspiring starters. The quality of guard prospects at 20 and 37 in this draft just aren’t good, and forcing a pick for need at those spots ensures you’re getting a terrible value. Idk what is so hard to believe about that. You can’t just manifest an All Pro guard prospect at 20 because you want it, and spending a first round pick with the 5th year option on a low-ceiling prospect at a low-value position is just a horrible way to run a franchise.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 am

you are just changing your argument, though, to one I don't disagree with. You said you wouldn't take Torrence before the 4th round, and that he's not worth picking before then, which I think is nuts. The fifth year option only applies to first rounders, and I think he likely goes high second. But no matter what position they are, if they end up being a good or better starter, the 5th year option saves a lot of money. Yes it saves MORE on positions like QB, but there is no need for a QB this year. A QB of the future? Sure, always gotta be looking for that guy, but it is not a need. AT ALL... and there is absolutely no reason to reach for one.

Guard IS a need, and only needs to be one of the top 5 needs to be logically addressed in the first two rounds. There are only two positions right now that need serious upgrades at starter - guard and DT. We also desperately need backups/potential starters at C, MLB, WR, and possibly CB.

Those are the positions that I want drafted first, and I don't care what order.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:17 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 am
you are just changing your argument, though, to one I don't disagree with. You said you wouldn't take Torrence before the 4th round, and that he's not worth picking before then, which I think is nuts. The fifth year option only applies to first rounders, and I think he likely goes high second. But no matter what position they are, if they end up being a good or better starter, the 5th year option saves a lot of money. Yes it saves MORE on positions like QB, but there is no need for a QB this year. A QB of the future? Sure, always gotta be looking for that guy, but it is not a need. AT ALL... and there is absolutely no reason to reach for one.

Guard IS a need, and only needs to be one of the top 5 needs to be logically addressed in the first two rounds. There are only two positions right now that need serious upgrades at starter - guard and DT. We also desperately need backups/potential starters at C, MLB, WR, and possibly CB.

Those are the positions that I want drafted first, and I don't care what order.
I would argue that DL is a bigger need right now than G. According to my math, we are 3 DL short of a season ready roster. You'd get better value for the G position later on in the draft. There's too many other valuable positions to draft from 20-45

The Athletic just did an updated Mock Simulator. A great read:
https://theathletic.com/4378565/2023/04 ... ft-2023-2/
Attachments
Screenshot_20230405_081908_Chrome.jpg

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:09 pm

They easily could go WR at 20, could be any of a number of positions

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:04 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:17 pm

I would argue that DL is a bigger need right now than G. According to my math, we are 3 DL short of a season ready roster.
that's not an argument, that's exactly what I've been saying lol.

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:17 pm
You'd get better value for the G position later on in the draft. There's too many other valuable positions to draft from 20-45
I also agree with this... usually. You don't draft Gs in the first round unless they're special. I'd say 3rd round is generally where you'd first consider taking one. My issue was with you saying to wait 'til the 4th round on Torrence, who is widely considered the best in the draft. He just won't be there. The second mitigating factor is that the Seahawks are in the rare position of having 5 picks in the top 83. Because of that, you can very well spend one of those higher than you normally would to get lower - be it a project guy with high upside, or the best player at a position of lesser draft value (C, G, MLB, K, FB, TE, etc). Because of this, if the Seahawks decide they love a guy like Torrence, it would make sense to take him, rather than risk somebody else taking him. I don't know that they do love him, nor saying that they necessarily SHOULD, just that it would make sense and I'd be happy to take a stud at a position that has been a weakness. Personally, I'd rather take JMS earlier than expected because good centers are harder to find than good guards and Brown can play G and/or mentor him for a season.

It's noted that you don't think he's a stud, and that's fine. Lots of prospects that are highly touted suck in the pros. I'm sticking with the guy that gives up no sacks and no penalties and somehow pass pro is his weakness.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:29 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:29 pm

Helps when you have the most athletic quarterback in recent memory.

Bucky also had us taking Carter at 5. Again. And Richardson falling to 20.

He’s not a first round talent. He’ll get pushed up there because he was a preseason darling and those kids don’t fall in mock drafts. He got schooled in the Senior Bowl practices. Got pushed back to where the quarterback would be in almost every rep. Yet those were called wins for him.

We have bigger needs than that. Let someone else try to unlock that somehow.
Hmmm. MAYBE we have bigger needs, but right now we have Phil Haynes starting at RG, so it's a pretty solid need. You continually say we need to draft a QB at 5, a position where we have a Pro Bowler and a recent 2nd round pick as a backup, yet guard isn't a need at 20 or 37?

Oh, and I'm not a believer in Brooks' mock, but Carter at 5 and Richardson at 20 is 10000x more plausible than Torrence dropping to the 4th.

Here's a video link

Yup. When the feet stop moving it is game over. Gotta look for active feet, ability to drive, and maintain a block. Cyborg won't do well in the NFL with his feet anchored like that. There's video out there getting his anchored feet completely hopped by Jalen Carter's power. Just no good in my book.

Broeker looks great. So does John Michael Schmitz. Darnell Wright would be great to play as guard and for OT insurance.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:35 am

My first mock draft went about as unrealistic as it could possibly get. I think I might've broken my all time record for trades in a single mock draft simulator :lol:

16. RB - Bijan Robinson
37. C - John Michael Schmitz
46. DT - Calijah Kancey
47. Edge - Keion White
53. LB - Jack Campbell
62. RB - Zach Charbonnet
64. QB - Hendon Hooker
65. CB - Julius Brents
94. S - Jordan Battle
104. G - Emil Ekiyor Jr.
123. OT - Jordan McFadden
162. RB - Deuce Vaughn