Draft Simulator Thread

SeattleAddict

Re: Draft Simulator Thread

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 am
Supposedly there were locker room issues. The question would be risking a fifth round pick on him. Hey, I'm not looking to just draft nice guys, according to Leo, nice guys finish last
I am OK with a guy that gets in a scrap with the other team once in a while, but "locker room issues" at multiple places in a 3 year span doesn't bode well. Having a guy that creates issues in the locker room is the worst thing for a team - even if it's only a 5th round pick.

I'm not saying everybody on the team has to be a choir boy, but this guy seems like a cancer (based only on my limited knowledge - may not be true).

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:13 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:29 am
McDowell hadn't been in trouble when they drafted him, Clark had
McDowell was an attitude issue. Work ethic was questioned.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:26 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:13 pm

so was his ATV driving ability.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:49 am

And his interviews which I guess was a function of his work ethic, honestly Pete might have been a great fit for him, he was considered to have some great possibilities, , if it wasn't for his attitude he wae considered a top ten pick, but that's all in the past
. A Yahoo Sports report on winners and losers post combine listed Malik McDowell as a "loser" despite his incredible physical attributes. The reason? His poor interviews.

From the Yahoo report: "Said one team: “Worst interview we did.” Added another: “Awful interview. Awful.”

The report goes on and cites an NFL team that talks about how often times McDowell's tape and his production level don't match up, comparing him to JaDeveon Clowney in terms of things like drive and work ethic. McDowell reportedly shrugged off work ethic questions in the interview saying there was no problem there.

“With [McDowell], I can’t figure out what makes this kid tick. He might be the type who, maybe he falls [in the draft] and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.” another NFL team told Yahoo.

McDowell measured in at 6'6" 295 pounds at the combine and among other drills ran a 4.85 40 yard dash. Many post combine mock drafts now have McDowell outside of the first round of this year's draft

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
These are the posts I donlt understand, Michael. You have an issue because "his work ethic was questioned" - but so was Clowney's - and if I remember correctly you were all in on acquiring him and resigning him. There is no consistency in your position. same with Rashaad Penny. You have an issue with him taken at 27, apparently that's too high for an RB, but then claim you would have taken Chubb who was taken at 35. So, 27 is too high, but 35 isn't? Wut?

What's the common demoninator here? You support picks when they work out - when then don't - you have an issue with it. Here's the problem with this kind of thinking - every single transaction has a risk associated with it - it is inherently hypocritical to embrace a risk that paid off, and then turn around and say "PCJS suck" because a risk did NOT payoff. Both picks made sense at the time when you consider all the contextual factors.

I;ve never understood the complete hypocrisy on here regarding transactions and the associated risk. No one is on here complaining about the marshawn Lynch acquisition - and he had all kinds of "red flags" - so theoretically, this board should be pissed off about that - right? Where is the 'outrage"?

Lamenting 'red flags" on players that didn't pan out while ignoring 'red flags" on players that did is the ultimate in hypocrisy. You cannot have it both ways. Anyone complaining about McDowell needs to have the same ire about Lynch and Clowney and Clark etc. Where is the consistancy?

It's one thing to be disappointed when a player doesnlt pan out via injury or whatever, but to use injury as a reason the front office sucks - to use red flag failures while ignoring red flag successes as a reason the front office sucks - I mean, c'mon, man. Can't have it both ways. If you are going to draw a line in the stand - stick to it across the board - don't cherry pick.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:28 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
These are the posts I donlt understand, Michael. You have an issue because "his work ethic was questioned" - but so was Clowney's - and if I remember correctly you were all in on acquiring him and resigning him. There is no consistency in your position. same with Rashaad Penny. You have an issue with him taken at 27, apparently that's too high for an RB, but then claim you would have taken Chubb who was taken at 35. So, 27 is too high, but 35 isn't? Wut?

What's the common demoninator here? You support picks when they work out - when then don't - you have an issue with it. Here's the problem with this kind of thinking - every single transaction has a risk associated with it - it is inherently hypocritical to embrace a risk that paid off, and then turn around and say "PCJS suck" because a risk did NOT payoff. Both picks made sense at the time when you consider all the contextual factors.

I;ve never understood the complete hypocrisy on here regarding transactions and the associated risk. No one is on here complaining about the marshawn Lynch acquisition - and he had all kinds of "red flags" - so theoretically, this board should be pissed off about that - right? Where is the 'outrage"?

Lamenting 'red flags" on players that didn't pan out while ignoring 'red flags" on players that did is the ultimate in hypocrisy. You cannot have it both ways. Anyone complaining about McDowell needs to have the same ire about Lynch and Clowney and Clark etc. Where is the consistancy?

It's one thing to be disappointed when a player doesnlt pan out via injury or whatever, but to use injury as a reason the front office sucks - to use red flag failures while ignoring red flag successes as a reason the front office sucks - I mean, c'mon, man. Can't have it both ways. If you are going to draw a line in the stand - stick to it across the board - don't cherry pick.
Not sure what there is to get. He had red flags, he slipped down down down the draft. In the end? He made a poor decision that had nothing to do with the Red Flags, but....no one else took him. I am pretty sure you would make fun of the 49ers or Cardinals if the shoe was on the other foot.

Not sure what anything else you mention has to do with it. I am saying maybe we don't take that guy very high due to the red flags. McDowell was a second round pick right? I'd rather we don't use a second round pick on a guy with Red Flags. Whether the Red Flags are because he is lazy or a shitty team mate.

Stop using your ridiculous straw man arguments. NO ONE, I fucking repeat, NO ONE, is using the McDowell injury as a reason the "front office sucks". please, take your bullshit over exaggerations somewhere else. LOTS of discussion in here about ignoring Red Flags and about value at the position the player is taken. McDowell is an example of both. Talent wise? He was a value at his spot...the red flags led a SHIT TON of other teams not to agree.

I support picks when they work out? Nope, I am the first to admit when I am wrong, you just refuse to see anything but your BS strawman arguments. I was all about trading for Adams, and was all about resigning him. I loved the Jimmy Graham move, until we decided we had no clue how to use him. Same for the move to get Harvin. I disagree with taking a MLB that isn't a passing game threat or a RB early, specifically if those positions are not even close to a need. SO, you get pissy with me pointing out that we didn't need Brooks, we didn't need Penny, and the red flags might have been a good reason to stray from McDowell. For all we know? Work ethic wasn't the ONLY Red Flag. McDowell is another of Pete's guys he thought he could change. He seems to be straying from that now. That said, if Cox is falling into the fourth of fifth round? That is a different gamble. Again, look at the guys we passed on for Penny and the guys we traded away from to drop down because we wanted to get McDowell.

Oh, another one I was wrong on, and have always owned up to? The LB the 49ers took before McDowell who ended up barely playing in the league and the OT from Georgia that got arrested before he ever made it to camp. I wanted those guys in both of the drafts I mentioned, and owned up to it many times. You are full of shit in your assessment, as usual. Now? I am sure you will disappear for a week, then come back and go on and on about how stupid I am to ever question the FO, in a topic that has nothing really to do with your little tirade.

For once in your time here. Read the comment, stop paying attention to who said it. Find the place in my statement that I said the FO was stupid because McDowell got hurt. Find the comment about Chubb. Find where I compared Red Flags to Lynch, who was FAR from a high risk trade BTW. There aren't any. The guy I took in my Mock Draft was mentioned as having Red Flags. Seems pretty relevant to mention the last DL man we took with Red Flags, no?

I hated the Collier pick too. I don't see you attacking me about that? Your selective attacks of my criticism is hilarious.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:37 pm

By the way? I would deem a red flag that questions a football players desire to work hard a character flaw. And one that might just not be a solo flaw. There were ton's of players I'd have taken over McDowell, and we have done this exercise before. The problem? AA disappears during those discussions, only to drive by and throw insults a few pages later about shit that has been hashed over.

Just stop dude. Reply to the comment. I think that if this guys falls? His talent might be worth the risk. But, I would NOT draft this guy early. Not with the Red Flags that are being discussed here. And, yes, I would have passed on McDowell as well.

As for Clark? It depends on what you read. I have read reports that make it sound like the only thing that guy did was settle down his girlfriend that was not only thrashing the Hotel Room, but beating him with a lamp. My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I guarantee he is not the first guy to get in a fight with his girl in a hotel room.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 am

I'm not sure where the "PC/JS sucks" thing comes from. Lots of "PC/JS fucked up" and "PC/JS have made bad draft picks" and some "PC/JS are dinosaurs" talk has come through the forum, but I can't remember anybody saying they SUCK.

I have been defending PC/JS drafts for a couple years - on the whole they haven't been bad - but even I absolutely acknowledge that they've fucked up. McDowell wasn't a fuck up - it was a gamble that went bad. Collier was a fuck up. Penny was a reach, Eskridge over Humphrey was a travesty. Any pick of a guy named Christine should be questioned for eternity. Even Brooks had me screaming "why the fuck do we need a MLB??"

But overall? They've done well with what they had to work with. Not drafting anybody in the top 25 for basically a decade means you miss out on some talent.

Anyway, if anybody had flat-out said they SUCK, I would've been in the middle of the argument, and lord knows if MICHAEL had said it, I would've gotten in a huge argument about it.... so I'm going with "didn't happen"

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:11 am

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:37 pm
By the way? I would deem a red flag that questions a football players desire to work hard a character flaw. And one that might just not be a solo flaw. There were ton's of players I'd have taken over McDowell, and we have done this exercise before. The problem? AA disappears during those discussions, only to drive by and throw insults a few pages later about shit that has been hashed over.

Just stop dude. Reply to the comment. I think that if this guys falls? His talent might be worth the risk. But, I would NOT draft this guy early. Not with the Red Flags that are being discussed here. And, yes, I would have passed on McDowell as well.

As for Clark? It depends on what you read. I have read reports that make it sound like the only thing that guy did was settle down his girlfriend that was not only thrashing the Hotel Room, but beating him with a lamp. My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I guarantee he is not the first guy to get in a fight with his girl in a hotel room.
There was more than the DV case. Getting kicked off the team was a separate issue, that was about a theft, laptop I believe

Okay, the DV got him kicked off, got his hand slapped before that for a felony conviction
Hoke gave Clark a second chance after a 2012 second-degree felony home-invasion conviction. At the time he suspended Clark for one game.

Two years later, Clark made another massive mistake.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:51 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 am
I'm not sure where the "PC/JS sucks" thing comes from. Lots of "PC/JS fucked up" and "PC/JS have made bad draft picks" and some "PC/JS are dinosaurs" talk has come through the forum, but I can't remember anybody saying they SUCK.

I have been defending PC/JS drafts for a couple years - on the whole they haven't been bad - but even I absolutely acknowledge that they've fucked up. McDowell wasn't a fuck up - it was a gamble that went bad. Collier was a fuck up. Penny was a reach, Eskridge over Humphrey was a travesty. Any pick of a guy named Christine should be questioned for eternity. Even Brooks had me screaming "why the fuck do we need a MLB??"

But overall? They've done well with what they had to work with. Not drafting anybody in the top 25 for basically a decade means you miss out on some talent.

Anyway, if anybody had flat-out said they SUCK, I would've been in the middle of the argument, and lord knows if MICHAEL had said it, I would've gotten in a huge argument about it.... so I'm going with "didn't happen"
Well said.