Donn Beach

Re: Draft Simulator Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:13 am

ESPN re-draft, woolen is the 3rd player taken, talk about a steal

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/2/8/235 ... er-rookies

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:55 pm

Great draft. It really was. I am extremely surprised by two things. How far Woolen fell and the fact that they took so much heat for Walker. Penny had signed a one year deal, was the definition of injury prone, we had no one else, it wasn't an extremely high pick, he was the best RB in college football that year and we didn't really pass on studs at positions of need. Even if Penny had stayed healthy, which is about as likely as me suiting up for the Mariners, this wouldn't have been a bad pick.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:07 pm

Walker goes a spot higher in the re-draft

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am

PFF says my mock draft is a failure. We shall see.
pff_mock_results (30).png

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:56 pm

With Jalen Carter getting a warrant for his arrest, maybe the Seahawks trade down.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:06 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am

Well I think your pick at 5 is WAY too big a reach (but seems Seahawk-y),and Ika at 20 might be too high, too, but I like him. the next 2 seem like great picks, though. How could they possibly give Sanders and Hooker F's?? That C from Michigan looks good, too.

TBH, that looks like exactly the kind of draft I'd expect from the Seahawks, with a couple early reaches followed by good value later.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:32 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:06 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am

Well I think your pick at 5 is WAY too big a reach (but seems Seahawk-y),and Ika at 20 might be too high, too, but I like him. the next 2 seem like great picks, though. How could they possibly give Sanders and Hooker F's?? That C from Michigan looks good, too.

TBH, that looks like exactly the kind of draft I'd expect from the Seahawks, with a couple early reaches followed by good value later.
I think it is "Seahawky" to reach late, not early. Okung, Earl and Cross all seemed to fit where they were selected. They seem to get cute later on in the first. Always seemed to me it was that bullshit crutch of "only 12 or 15 guys deserve to be in the first round", so they either trade out or select someone that everyone scratches their head over. Even guys that play, don't seem to provide the value for that slot. Maybe Irvin? I always felt he'd put up better numbers, but it was hard with all the talented pass rushers we had back then. But damn, I loved that NASCAR package we used to run on passing downs.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:32 pm

I think it is "Seahawky" to reach late, not early. Okung, Earl and Cross all seemed to fit where they were selected. They seem to get cute later on in the first.
100%. The fact they've been picking from #25-35 for most of the decade has tainted our opinions. My feeling is they usually have a couple guys they like more than other teams/pundits, and try to predict where he'd go, then trade back to get as close to that spot as possible. If they can't 'make a trade, they just go ahead and take him 'cause fuck what everybody else thinks.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm

100%. The fact they've been picking from #25-35 for most of the decade has tainted our opinions. My feeling is they usually have a couple guys they like more than other teams/pundits, and try to predict where he'd go, then trade back to get as close to that spot as possible. If they can't 'make a trade, they just go ahead and take him 'cause fuck what everybody else thinks.
I agree, which is the part of the strategy I hate. I think it has caused them to pass up better players, and has bitten them in the ass. Still don't know what they saw EVER in LJ Collier, but I didn't like Ifedi either, not if they were going to make him play Tackle just to justify how high they took him. Same with Penny. I think they thought they could trade back there, and when they didn't, your exact scenario occurred. All three of those guys smell just like that. Go back as far as C Mike. I just don't get it. You can like a guy all you want, but if he is third round talent and you take him in the second just because you are afraid he won't be there still? You are passing on better talent, IMO.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:59 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm

I agree, which is the part of the strategy I hate. I think it has caused them to pass up better players, and has bitten them in the ass. Still don't know what they saw EVER in LJ Collier, but I didn't like Ifedi either, not if they were going to make him play Tackle just to justify how high they took him. Same with Penny. I think they thought they could trade back there, and when they didn't, your exact scenario occurred. All three of those guys smell just like that. Go back as far as C Mike. I just don't get it. You can like a guy all you want, but if he is third round talent and you take him in the second just because you are afraid he won't be there still? You are passing on better talent, IMO.
yeah I think we all hated those picks. It's one thing if it's a position of need, like Ifedi, but I flat out didn't understand the CMike, Penny or even Brooks picks. In retrospect, I get the Brooks pick, they knew they were going to have to replace two stud LBs, but at the time I was WTF? I wonder if they just fall in love with some aspect of somebody and think they can fix the rest - like I think Ifedi was crazy strong and CMike was really fast (or maybe I'm imagining those things). Makes me worry about an Anthony Richardson pick.