Niners

douche

Niners

Post by douche » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:47 pm

OK, the stage is set for Saturday, Jan. 14. What can SEA do (or not do) for a chance at victory?

Some obvious things... Geno will need to play a flawless game, no turnovers of any kind. Walker will need to be on fire. Run D needs to be on point. No missed field goals. Essentially, the stars need to align.

If SEA were to play their BEST game, do they even have a chance? SF is such a well built team.

gil

Re: Niners

Post by gil » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:22 pm

I'd add, Seahawks pass rush needs to make Purdy uncomfortable, and maybe force a few bad throws that lead to INTs. SF doesn't ask Purdy to do TOO much, but from what I have seen, he has been very efficient.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:24 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:47 pm
OK, the stage is set for Saturday, Jan. 14. What can SEA do (or not do) for a chance at victory?

Some obvious things... Geno will need to play a flawless game, no turnovers of any kind. Walker will need to be on fire. Run D needs to be on point. No missed field goals. Essentially, the stars need to align.

If SEA were to play their BEST game, do they even have a chance? SF is such a well built team.
Everything you said is true. That said, I am not sure we would even need to play our best game to have a chance. We can't play a bad game, that is for sure. I see it looking a lot more like the Thursday night game a few weeks ago than the blow out in week 2. What stands out about that game is the Diggs dropped INT (I wonder if all the grief about that is why he has been celebrating excessively after every one now?) and the ill timed fumble by Homer. I said it now, and will say it again, the thought that Walker couldn't handle third down duties is absurd. Dallas has certainly earned playing time, but if you remember, in the 4th quarter against the Niners Walker got loose on a big play out of the backfield. I get that he can't play every single snap, but he doesn't need to come off the field in the biggest moments. THAT moment that Homer fumbled was at that time the biggest series of the game. Not long after? The Niners scored again.

Let's hope we do a better job against Kittle and a better job of moving the ball early in the game. But yes, I think we of course have a chance. That said? If both teams play well? They beat us relatively easily. They are just better than we are right now.

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:27 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:47 pm
Yes. they would have a chance.
I agree, Geno will need to play flawlessly. I also want to see him willing to run the ball and play like it's the biggest game of his life, since
it pretty much is. Yes, if Seahawks can't stop the run - they will be killed. ugly killed.
Geno "flawless" performance would be a lot easier if Walker is effective, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
There have been a few times in the past where Pete pulls a rabbit out of the hat with a creative game plan etc.
The 7-9 Seahawks were not supposed to stand a chance against the defending SB champs NO Saints - Then Beast Quake.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:30 pm

I am going on record saying that I think the Seahawks are going to win this one.

There is no logical reason they should, which is why I think they will.

Here are some illogical reasons for my thinking:
There is no pressure on Seattle. Weren't supposed to be here, so just go out and play.
Brock Purdy is not as good as he seems. He is still a 3rd string rookie QB. He is surrounded by incredible talent, but this is the playoffs. Maybe too big a stage.
Geno wants this. Every little step accomplished this year is a bit more validation, and a LOT more dollars in his bank account next year.
49ers have won 10 straight. Win streaks always end. The longer the streak, the closer you are to losing it.

So there you go. When we win, you can all say Seattle Addict told ya so.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:32 pm

Sneak Vince Wilfork into a Seahawk uniform?!

Set the tone defensively on 1st and 2nd down.

Maintain tight coverage on 9er WRs and force Purdy to stand in the pocket longer.

Blitz Purdy on 3rd & 4 and greater but keep lots of attention on McCaffery.

Maybe keep the safeties up and play the run more.

The Hawk's offensive is capable, but this 9er D is tough as nails. I imagine seeing a lot of 21 or 31 formations out of the Hawks just to try to match physicality on the line. And try to take advantage of a defensive tendancy whenever you can.

This game is a very tough draw. They've won 10 in a row, but have had some close games under Purdy.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:08 pm

Great points...

gil - make Purdy uncomfortable.

trharder - Geno needs to play like it's the game of his life.

Michael - I agree with your assessment of that last game. SEA was right in it until the Homer fumble (it just turned everything). SEA can beat them.

Seattle Addict - Niners win record has to fall at some point.

Serious question... if SEA could get back to making complete tackles, could it turn everything in their favor? Let's face it, a lot of things need to come together, but the missed tackles are a real sore point with me.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:51 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:32 pm
Set the tone defensively on 1st and 2nd down.
Agreed. But I think they need to set the tone, period. Come out flying.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:01 am

Comes down to two things. The run game and turnovers.
Last time out it was 1 turnover to none and Santa Clara out-gained them on the ground 170 yards to 70. If they can even up those two columns on the stat sheet they will be able to make a game of it. Walker and Dallas were not healthy that game and I believe that might have been one of the games that Woods was out. Hopefully that is enough to shore things up.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:03 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:30 pm
I am going on record saying that I think the Seahawks are going to win this one.

There is no logical reason they should, which is why I think they will.

Here are some illogical reasons for my thinking:
There is no pressure on Seattle. Weren't supposed to be here, so just go out and play.
Brock Purdy is not as good as he seems. He is still a 3rd string rookie QB. He is surrounded by incredible talent, but this is the playoffs. Maybe too big a stage.
Geno wants this. Every little step accomplished this year is a bit more validation, and a LOT more dollars in his bank account next year.
49ers have won 10 straight. Win streaks always end. The longer the streak, the closer you are to losing it.

So there you go. When we win, you can all say Seattle Addict told ya so.
Wouldn't that be the most seahawk thing of all? Also, to be noted - we have been getting a TON of rain here in Cal - I'm talking Seattle-style - so the field conditions could be a major factor. That'll slow the game down, amplify mistakes like turnovers. SF should be able to bully their way to victory, but the fieldm conditions, no pressure on Seattle, are factors to consider. Winning really would be the most seahawky thing to do here.