NFL execs outraged over officiating in Seahawks-Rams game

Sibelius Hindemith

NFL execs outraged over officiating in Seahawks-Rams game

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:28 pm

After multiple controversial officiating decisions in Sunday's playoff-shaping game between the Los Angeles Rams and Seattle Seahawks, multiple executives and coaches said the NFL needs to reevaluate how it chooses and trains its officiating staff for future seasons.

Those same executives and coaches said game officials and the league missed multiple calls that helped key the Seahawks' overtime victory over the Rams that sent Seattle to Saturday's wild-card round and prevented the Detroit Lions from reaching the playoffs.

Even the NFL's competition committee is aware of what one source described to ESPN "as the worst officiated game of the year."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/354 ... ontroversy

Poor officiating in a non-playoff game goes Seattle's way and the NFL is up in arms but when the Seahawks got fucked over in a Super Bowl they had nothing to say about it. But yeah, there is no bias against Seattle or favortism towards other cities among the people that run the league. :roll:

Michael K.

Re: NFL execs outraged over officiating in Seahawks-Rams game

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:41 pm

The late hit penalty didn’t matter because we missed the FG and the grounding goes away if a player is ruled in the area. Happens all the time. So, they are pissed off because a running into the kicker penalty might have been called wrong? I didn’t see the play, but was it that obvious, and if the ref didn’t have an angle, isn’t he supposed to call what he saw?

As for the taunting? Sour fucking grapes. Besides? It still would have been first and ten and they would have has to stop us, which they hadn’t been doing much of late in the game.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:29 pm

That was so fun to read. not kidding..
FU ESPN. That was a made up article based on made up sources.
The calls (and lack thereof) were real and all arguable. I think the author was highly influenced by Dean Blandino,
who was the "officiating expert" douche bag of the game.

I called the running into the punter as BS when it happened, but if the rule is to protect punters from getting injured by
reckless attempts to block the punt, that arguably qualified. Saying he was pushed into the punter was also arguable.
I call that momentum.

DK and Ramsey were likely fighting and badgering each other on every play, yet there were no, or almost no, penalties
resulting from it. I think the refs decided to let them play. Ramsey tried to kill Geno in clear violation. The Rams deserved
a painful penalty from it and if they ticky tack flagged DK, it would have nullified Ramsey's penalty. Ramsey took a
soccer player dive when he fell.

Not calling intentional grounding was the right call. Geno was out of the pocket and you could clearly see a receiver in
the general vicinity. Again, Blandino's BS is what caused that.

Diggs pointed the ball at Wags before he stepped out of bounds. So effing what. I've seen the same called before, but
also seen worse not called. The refs could have been listening to Wags flap his mouth at the Seahawks players all game.
Wags just happened to be standing there. Diggs wasn't taunting a player on the field. If you can eve call that taunting.

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:24 pm

Still waiting on an NFL response to DKs non/fumble @ Saints -

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:10 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:41 pm
The late hit penalty didn’t matter because we missed the FG and the grounding goes away if a player is ruled in the area. Happens all the time. So, they are pissed off because a running into the kicker penalty might have been called wrong? I didn’t see the play, but was it that obvious, and if the ref didn’t have an angle, isn’t he supposed to call what he saw?
in slo-mo, it was a bad call. In real-time, Dickson sold it like he got hit, and it LOOKED like running into the kicker. I'll give them that it was a bad call, but not egregious like the PI that cost the Saints the game a couple years ago and not NEARLY as shitty as the fumble in the Raiders game that cost us that game.

The other stuff were judgement calls that weren't called... of which there are a dozen every game. I prefer they err on the side of not calling stuff than calling garbage like roughing the passer on a sack when they gently lay Brady on his butt.

If these had gone against the Seahawks, it wouldn't have even made the top 20 poorly called games that screwed us.

Also, I'm still not over SB XL so everybody complaining about this game can just suck it.