LB Jon Rhattigan (ERFA)
QB Geno Smith
CB Jalen Tabor
LS Carson Tinker

Blue = retain.
Red = let walk.
Purple = lets talk about it.

(Important players discussed below)

Retains: I thought Abram played decent in Neal's absence and provides decent depth on a league-minimum deal. Bellore is a good personality on the team and important in special teams. I thought Goodwin played well when he wasn't hurt, keep him around. I want to see Drew Lock back... he'll likely be cheap and who knows, maybe he starts? Muse played alright filling in for Brooks, retain him as a backup. Ott is a good long snapper, no reason not to bring him back.

Let walks: Barton is the bane of my existence and can fuck right off. Blythe can fuck right off and move to Canada for the CFL. LJ Collier hopefully serves as the last horrible 1st round pick the Hawks ever make. Poona was one of my favorite Hawks... love guys who defy the odds, but unfortunately he was not anywhere near the same player he was years prior, cya. Fuller can go too... Hawks need to start over at center. Hart has made some plays over the years but he's just another body at WR that can be filled via the draft. Haynes has never developed into the player the Hawks hoped for... mostly due to injury, cya. Homer is a decent special teamer, if he wants to come back on the league-minimum fine... but otherwise, let him go. As much as anyone wants Penny to succeed, it's time to realize he's a porcelain doll and cannot be counted on to stay healthy.

Geno Smith: Depends on the cash. If he's willing to "pay the city of Seattle back" as he says he is... he can sign a 2-year $40 million deal. Not franchising him, not offering him anything long term. They need to draft his replacement either this year or next... or roll w. Lock next season and see how it goes. Seattle thinks their system is QB friendly? Ok, might prove it with a cheaper QB so you can fill out the rest of the roster. I like Geno, but the price has got to be right.

Potential Cap Casualties:

S Quandre Diggs ($9.9 million in cap savings)
DT Shelby Harris ($9 million)
G Gabe Jackson ($6.5 million)
DT Quinton Jefferson ($4 million)
DT Bryan Mone ($2.8 million)

^ I'm cutting every player. And no, I'm not really hung up on losing Quandre Diggs. Diggs was decent in pass pro this year but my God his angles and tackling were so, so bad. He's supposed to be the last line of defense and was often chasing touchdowns from the back end. Re-sign Ryan Neal and have him take over alongside Adams in '23/'24. Harris is an OK ballplayer, but he's not worth what he's making. Jackson is over the hill. Jefferson is over the hill. Mone is a nobody.

Needs based on subtractions (not in order): Safety, Center, Linebacker, Defensive Tackle, Offensive Guard

General needs: Defensive End, Wideout Depth, Running Back

Free Agent Additions:

1. Daron Payne DT (formerly Washington) - earned only a 59.2 PFF grade BUT PFF admits that their system fails him (they give someone a 0 grade if they eat a double team, makes no sense). Payne had 64 tackles, 18 TFL's, and 11.5 sacks for the Commanders at Nose Tackle. The Hawks desperately need help on the defensive interior and Payne serves as an effective interior run defender who has developed into a premier interior pass rusher.

2. Lavonte David LB (formerly of Tampa) - earned high grades again from PFF this season. I feel like the Hawks would do well bringing in a veteran to help settle down the defense in the middle. David will be 33 years old, but can likely be had on a 1-year deal.

3. Nate Davis OG (formerly of Tennessee) - consistent guard who has excelled in the run game for Tennessee. I'm sure the Hawks FO is tired of watching Gabe Jackson give up TFL's on 50% of running plays.

4. Garrett Bradbury OC (formerly of Minnesota) - posted a quality 70.2 PFF in '22 despite not playing up to his 1st round pedigree in his first 3 seasons. I don't know if Seattle wants to roll with a rookie here and Bradbury fills in cheaply.

Draft 3.0

Jalen Carter - DT - Georgia: A lot is being said for a potential fall out of the top 2 picks for Carter due to concerns with stamina. In the Ohio St. game he was seen on the sidelines huffing and puffing + taking multiple plays off, giving some concerns that he's not an every down player. I'm not in love with him, but he's good value at no. 5 given his upside and the Hawks desperate need for quality interior players. He's an athletic freak for his size... people this big just shouldn't move like he's capable of. He's got premiere strength and just bullies offensive linemen.

BJ Ojulari - DE - LSU: Athletic freak with ++ speed on the exterior who was expected to dominate his senior year after dropping 12.5 sacks as a junior. If it's not Anderson at 5, the Hawks have to address their exterior rush. Might as well add another SEC guy who didn't quite live up to his billing but has a tremendous ceiling.

Jahmyr Gibbs - RB - Alabama: Reggie Bush style back who excels both as a rusher and pass catcher. He's one of the shiftiest players in the country and has breakaway speed. He and Walker III would form a lethal RB duo.

Jordan Battle - S - Alabama: His tape reminds me of Bam Bam. Box safety who lays the boom but also excels in pass coverage.

DeMarvion Overshown - LB - Texas: Converted safety who is one of the fastest, hardest hitters in CFB. Because of his past as a defensive back he excels in pass coverage. Needs to add weight to be more effective in the run game, but could be a boom type prospect.

Warren McClendon - OG - Georgia: Played right tackle for the best team in college football. Powerful man who lacks athleticism to stay on the exterior, so the Hawks draft him to be a road grader on the interior.

Jonathan Mingo - WR - Ole Miss: Mingo gives the Hawks a big slot/possession receiver that they're missing. He's big bodied w. excellent hands and routinely makes tough catches in traffic. He also just doesn't go down on first contact. Would be an excellent compliment to Lockett and Metcalf.

Brenton Cox Jr. - DE - Florida: All the tools to excel, just hasn't put it together to the point of it showing up in production. Athletic, good speed, excellent size, project similar to Alton Robinson.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson - QB - UCLA: More athletic than Bryce Young, less efficient as a passer. Heralded for his big arm, ++ athleticism, leadership... struggles with accuracy. I don't really know what to think of him... but if you're looking for a guy with all the tools and want someone to develop... it's worth taking a flyer late in the draft.

Tykee Smith - SLOT - Georgia: Undersized, but ultra competitive ++ tackling slot corner. Hawks add him for slot depth and special teams.

HawkandMariner88

Re: My Off Season Plan and Mock Draft 3.0

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:19 am

Sign me up for that right now.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:15 am

Geno's contract has to be at least three years. There might be other considerations other than annual salary, like guaranteed money? Maybe three years, $60 mil, and a healthy guaranteed portion?

It might just be negotiation positioning but the Hawks are sending the message that for as much as they want to get Geno re-signed they are comfortable moving on to another option. Yeah, I think Lock could be that option. He is basically in the position Geno was last year.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 pm

For $20 million a year, the Hawks could sign two good FA's and go with a game manager at QB. Lets beef up on O-Line and D-Line. Geno's good, but at the price he'll demand, we'd be better supplementing the other positions on the team and going with Lock as game manager.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:55 pm

DTR is interesting. I don't know how many of you used to watch the ESPN or NFL Network special, Elite 11? Trent Dilfer used to host it. They took the top HS QBs and ran them through skills competitions, including 7 on 7 games, to get to the final 11. Then had them compete for an over all winner. DTR lost to Trevor Lawrence. I loved it, was very fun to watch, and Dilfer was VERY high on DTR. The guy who won it the year before? Jake Frohm. Georgia pried Eason from Washington, and then signed BOTH of those guys. I always shocked me that DTR chose Georgia. Georgia had two big armed pocket passers, and DTR did not fit that mold. I didn't think he would play there, and he didn't. That said, I think he would have been a Justin Fields type had be been in that system from the get go. He sure looked good at times in Chip Kelly's system. Speaking of Fields, I think he won that Elite 11 thing Dilfer hosted as well!

I was sorry they stopped that, or at least stopped showing it. I'll have to check ESPN plus, but I honestly don't remember if it was ESPN or NFL Net. Dilfer was ESPN though, right?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 pm

dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:50 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 pm
So what does that tell you DT. Is it worth training up for 1 of Carter or Anderson or hope that 1 of them fall to 5.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:03 pm

dt