D-train's QB predictions

douche

Re: D-train's QB predictions

Post by douche » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:05 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:22 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:01 pm

Geno will not solve the problem (which is winning a SB) on this team over the next two to three years. What is the long-term plan here?
That has been my position since before the 9er loss. Do not sign Geno. Take the money saved to bring in two stud D-Line guys. Then take three of the four top draft picks and go for more defense. Suddenly you have five starters that may take a year or so to gel, but it would be well worth bolstering our leaky defense with those bodies. Heck, use all four draft choices for that matter. Sign Lock to be a game manager or go out and find one. Trade some of the excess defensive dead wood for a good backup QB to replace Geno. If you can find a good FA QB to do this, so much the better.

Geno is going to be expensive, and good for him. He deserves a good payday for what he did this past season. I simply feel we can use the money elsewhere.
I don't disagree, but who slings the rock for SEA?

It simply amazes me how SF built their team and now Purdy is a bonafide starter. I'm convinced that's the way to do it.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:07 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:05 pm

It simply amazes me how SF built their team and now Purdy is a bonafide starter. I'm convinced that's the way to do it.
The way the 49ers did it was sucking donkey balls for several years, and trading away their future (3 first rounders) ending up with the #3 overall pick (Lance), #14 overall and 25 (Kinlaw and Aiyuk), #2 overall (Bosa, then Deebo 2nd round), #9 overall, #3 overall, #7 overall. They also traded their entire 2023 draft for McCaffrey.

Those were consecutive years, leading up to this past draft. Now, they did have one good year in there, but that's a LOT of sucking to finally build a roster that is stacked beyond belief. However, they are vulnerable. Remember when they had a few injuries, they were pretty bad - they lost to the Broncos - so there's some luck involved, too.

The only reason Purdy is a "bonafide starter" is because he doesn't have to do anything. He only has to not fuck up... which is a very positive trait for a QB. However, he hasn't been tested yet. He hasn't had to play from behind, or be put under pressure throughout the game. That won't work for the Seahawks... at least not yet.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:05 pm
ddraig wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:22 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:01 pm

Geno will not solve the problem (which is winning a SB) on this team over the next two to three years. What is the long-term plan here?
That has been my position since before the 9er loss. Do not sign Geno. Take the money saved to bring in two stud D-Line guys. Then take three of the four top draft picks and go for more defense. Suddenly you have five starters that may take a year or so to gel, but it would be well worth bolstering our leaky defense with those bodies. Heck, use all four draft choices for that matter. Sign Lock to be a game manager or go out and find one. Trade some of the excess defensive dead wood for a good backup QB to replace Geno. If you can find a good FA QB to do this, so much the better.

Geno is going to be expensive, and good for him. He deserves a good payday for what he did this past season. I simply feel we can use the money elsewhere.

Maybe some other questions to ask are:
Why even sling the rock?
Do we need a 30 TD and 4300 yard QB?
Can we make up the difference in carrying the rock better?
Can we also fortify the D and give up less?

I'd say if we can address these other things then looking to the draft while maybe trading up to get the Bears' #1 is a reasonable risk. Because Geno ain't the long-term solution. Or we sign Lock and take our shot in the 2024 draft. We can't ever avoid the fate of the imperfect solution. Some times we have to walk this road too in order to find what we are truly looking for.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:25 pm

Salk expounds or rationale for signing Lock and other options instead of Geno.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1726750/ ... eno-smith/
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:47 am

I listened to the KJ Wright show on 710 today.
Two things stuck out to me on another excellent show.
KJ has Geno at max $20 / year. Says if he has offers up to 30, let him walk. Brock says he agreed with 20.
KJ says the current 49ers are better than the 49ers his SB Seahawks defeated in the NFCCG. I was shocked he said that.
KJ says Kyle Shannahan is far superior coach to Harbaugh.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:55 am

Shanahan is, probably a superior coach to just about anybody

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 am

Harbaugh on shanahan
.“He’s very creative in the game planning and you see plays that work that get somebody uncovered,” Harbaugh said. “That’s hard to do to get somebody uncovered on a passing play or the blocking scheme where there’s a big hole. That doesn’t happen that often. Probably Better than most of us, I think, Kyle and his coaches do a good job scheming those things up.”

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 pm
Geno back on a multi year deal
Lock goes elsewhere in hopes of playing more than zero snaps closer to his home in MO.
Hawks do NOT draft a QB in the first two rounds
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
RENTON — During his final meetings with the media Monday before heading out into the offseason, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll made clear that the team considers Geno Smith as its quarterback of the future and has begun the work to assure he will remain in Seattle.

On his final radio show of the year on Seattle Sports 710 Monday morning, Carroll said the team had begun preliminary talks with Smith, who can be a free agent on March 15.

And during his season-ending news conference a little later, he reiterated that Smith proved all the team needed to see to know he can take the Seahawks where they want to go.

“He had an excellent game for us in that game,” Carroll said of Smith’s play in Saturday’s 41-23 loss to the 49ers in a wild-card playoff game in which he had a costly fumble in the third quarter that helped turn the game but also completed 25 of 35 passes for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

“And even though the turnovers happened — they happened — he played really well just to show you again that he’s on it and we got our guy. We need to hopefully work things out so he’s with us and all that. There’s business to be done there, of course. But there’s really no lid to what we can do. The sky’s the limit. That, along with returning him with his leadership factor that he had, he’s a big deal to us, and I just couldn’t be more tickled by the way the whole thing turned out and how he handled it. And really as we look to the future, he’s a big part of why we look to the future more promisingly.”

Smith, likewise, expressed optimism after Saturday’s game that he will re-sign with the Seahawks, going as far as to say, “I want to finish my career in Seattle.”

But now comes the task of getting that done.

Teams can talk to their own pending free agents whenever they want so theoretically a deal could happen at any time.

But one date to watch is Feb. 21, when a 15-day window opens when teams can place franchise or transition tags on pending free agents. The window closes March 7. There has been speculation the Seahawks could consider using a nonexclusive franchise tag on Smith.

With the tag, Smith would get a one-year deal that would guarantee him what is currently projected to be a $32.4 million salary in 2023. That number can change based on the final salary cap number.

Being given the tag would allow Smith to talk to other teams. If he signed an offer sheet elsewhere, Seattle would have five days to match or get two first-round picks as compensation if the offer were not matched.

Because a team is unlikely to give up two picks and sign Smith to the kind of long-term deal Seattle wouldn’t want to match, the tag would most logically tie Smith to the Seahawks for 2023.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Neither side would view the tag as the optimum result. It would be a huge hit on Seattle’s salary cap, and Smith undoubtedly wants as much long-term security as possible.

But it would, at the least, allow the two sides to continue negotiating, as was the case when Seattle last used the tag in 2019 on defensive lineman Frank Clark, with the Seahawks eventually deciding to trade Clark to Kansas City instead.

Teams can continue to negotiate long-term deals with tagged players until July 15.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

Smith played this season on a one-year deal with a base salary of $3.5 million. But he also made another $3.5 million in incentives. The 2022 season marked the seventh straight year Smith had signed a one-year deal.

But now 32, Smith will undoubtedly hope to secure his future with a deal that will not only be substantially more than any he has had in his career, but also dwarf the $17.5 million he has made in his 10-year career.

And while the tag option is there for Seattle to be patient into the summer if it wants, the Seahawks are also sure to want to secure Smith’s future before the draft is held April 27-29. Seattle holds the No. 5 overall pick thanks to the Russell Wilson trade.

When the Wilson trade was made, there was ample speculation the Seahawks would target a quarterback at the top of the draft if possible. But the emergence of Smith means the Seahawks may now look elsewhere, something Carroll acknowledged.

“Well, yeah, if we didn’t have a quarterback that functioned really well, we might be a little different,” Carroll said when asked if Smith’s presence changes what their approach to the draft might have been otherwise. “But the quarterbacks in this draft are extraordinary players and you don’t get opportunities like this and so we have to be — we are — really tuned in to all of those options.”

Also potentially impacting how avidly Seattle might pursue a quarterback in the draft — and at that moment, the Seahawks are projected to have four top picks by having Denver’s and their own in each of the first two rounds — is the future of Drew Lock.

Lock, who turned 26 in November, was acquired from the Broncos in the Wilson deal. After losing a training camp battle to Smith for the starting job, he ended up not playing a snap in the regular season as Smith was the only quarterback in the NFL to play every down for his team this season.

Lock is also an unrestricted free agent after completing his four-year rookie deal in which he made just over $7 million, including $1.35 million from Seattle this year.

But Carroll said the Seahawks hope to bring back Lock.

“Drew was as positive as you can hope a guy to be that didn’t get a chance to play,” Carroll said. “He had a really good experience. He worked great with the coaches. We really appreciated his talent and his work ethic and even more so his mentality and support of Geno — he and Geno were buddies through the whole thing and they helped each other. (Practice squad QB) Sean Mannion was part of that, as well. But he (Lock) doesn’t know what’s coming up — got to wait and see. But we’d love to have him back and keep going.”

For now, the negotiating between team and player — and the waiting game for fans — begins in earnest.
$100 bucks says the Seahawks take a QB in the first two rounds!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:40 am

Bell would agree with you, though he does point out his value wouldn't be high
. Lock isn’t likely to re-sign to sit again through another season while still in his mid-20s. As many as a dozen teams could be in the market for new quarterbacks this offseason. But Lock’s market value is low after losing the job against Smith to succeed Wilson in August and not playing a single snap this past season.
https://sports.yahoo.com/amid-geno-smit ... 45227.html

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:40 am
Bell would agree with you, though he does point out his value wouldn't be high
. Lock isn’t likely to re-sign to sit again through another season while still in his mid-20s. As many as a dozen teams could be in the market for new quarterbacks this offseason. But Lock’s market value is low after losing the job against Smith to succeed Wilson in August and not playing a single snap this past season.
https://sports.yahoo.com/amid-geno-smit ... 45227.html
Yeah I could see him going to a team with an unsettled QB situation with a shot to win QB1
dt