Defense (or lack thereof)

trharder

Re: Defense (or lack thereof)

Post by trharder » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:58 am

KJ was saying today several of the 22 Seahawks do not fit the new defense.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:22 am

trharder wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:58 am
KJ was saying today several of the 22 Seahawks do not fit the new defense.
I heard that. Was pretty interesting....and, stuff that many of us have said in here all year. Really blows me away that they thought Poona Ford was going to move outside to End and be just fine. That some of our undersized guys from the 4 - 3 days would just be fine. I realize you can't redo the entire D Line, but I didn't think we had many guys upfront that fit the 3 - 4 scheme. But all you heard from our coaches all off season was how it wasn't a big difference. Now? They blame the personnel for the scheme not working. So? Which is it? Was it not a big switch, or was it big enough that our players didn't fit? And if so, did they know it before the switch, or were they caught off guard by something many in this very forum questioned from the get go?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 am

they expected them to be as good as they were... but they not only didn't fit, they were new to it. That adjustment meant guys doing something different than what they were used to, different than what they are best at. Barton was the biggest example, I think. He is a Mike LB. When BWagz was here he didn't get to play that, his natural position. In the 3-4, Brooks is the Mike, meaning Barton is playing one of the other positions, and not playing "naturally" for the lack of a better word. Poona was the second biggest - he essentially moved from DT to DE and just doesn't have the body for it.

This is why those people projecting Myles Murphy to us are probably wrong. He's a great player, but a 4-3 end. It would be silly to take a 4-3 end in the top 5 if you're trying to run a 3-4.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:29 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 am

This is why those people projecting Myles Murphy to us are probably wrong. He's a great player, but a 4-3 end. It would be silly to take a 4-3 end in the top 5 if you're trying to run a 3-4.
Murphy is big enough and strong enough to play the 4i and outward. He'd fit just fine in the hybrid 3-4.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:35 am

Bell with some stuff about the defense, think he gets more ink with tri-cities than he does with the tribune

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tri-ci ... 48722.html

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:25 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:29 am
SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 am

Murphy is big enough and strong enough to play the 4i and outward. He'd fit just fine in the hybrid 3-4.
Why I fully feel John will trade down. I don’t think 1 of the two super impact dline guys won’t be there at 5. Unless 3 qb needy teams trade up into top 4.

I feel they will drop to middle and take breeze, Murphy, or the Texas Tech guy.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:27 pm

Arizona and theBears will take the Bama and GeorgiA dline guys. So, we need help by trade ups.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:11 pm

Seahawks Tackling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLldjE6vvFs

It's an older video, all it did was show that the guys who are capable of tackling no longer play for the team.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:09 pm

See: Christian McCaffrey’s 68-yard run through the right edge of Seattle’s defense in the first quarter of the playoff game Saturday. Irvin took a path so far outside it created a freeway-wide gap lineman Jefferson could not get out to cover. Cody Barton, in his first season starting as an inside linebacker after the team cut All-Pro Bobby Wagner, got blocked easily out of that play by Niners fullback Kyle Jusczyk.

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... rylink=cpy
From the article Donn posted. THIS was so different than wanting to punch the TV watching PC ask his DBs to play ten yards off the ball and bail on third and six, as in years past. So much different than watching Mistake by the Lake use a fucking Defense consisting of six, seven or eight DBs against power run teams and get destroyed. This year? It was this. Guys that could not do the job they were asked to do. Flat out couldn't. And I don't give a shit what Pete says....Brooks couldn't do it either. I said it in the middle of that run that has us one of the worst run defenses in NFL history...the only guy in the Front 7 that should have an NFL starting job is Nwosu, and that would be as a pass rusher. None of them could get the job done against the run. It was comical how bad it was.
Was some of Seattle’s many issues on defense too few true linemen on the field to slow the run?

“We will commit differently than we did,” Carroll said. “We are going to be committed a little bit different than we did this year, to make sure that we solidify that. “That’s about as far as I’ll go” divulging that.

One way Carroll indicated 2023 will be different is how Seattle uses defensive lineman Poona Ford. He was the team’s highest cost off its salary cap this past season, at more than $10 million. But he did not produce near that status or cost. Carroll said the Seahawks overused Ford in 2022. The coach likes Ford over the center, at nose tackle. The team played him more outside as 3-technique tackle between the guard and tackle and even 5-technique end at times. “I think we wore him down,” Carroll said. So expect Ford back over the nose, among other changes to the run defense next season.
Pete being Pete. I read someone tweet after he said this that Poona played fewer snaps this year than he has in the past. He wasn't wore down, he can't play in this system. The guy can't play the end, but is going to be good enough to be the only guy in the middle? No way.