Defense (or lack thereof)

douche

Defense (or lack thereof)

Post by douche » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm

Pete Carroll says Seahawks defensive staff will return: ‘We’re staying with our guys'. 'We’re solid.'

What does everyone think of this? My sore spot is the abysmal tackling.

Additionally, Woolen appeared to take a step back against the Niners. According to Pro Football Focus, he gave up four receptions for 88 yards on eight targets, earning a PFF grade of 43.6, by far his lowest of the season.

Cascade Kid

Re: Defense (or lack thereof)

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:47 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm
Pete Carroll says Seahawks defensive staff will return: ‘We’re staying with our guys'. 'We’re solid.'

What does everyone think of this? My sore spot is the abysmal tackling.

Additionally, Woolen appeared to take a step back against the Niners. According to Pro Football Focus, he gave up four receptions for 88 yards on eight targets, earning a PFF grade of 43.6, by far his lowest of the season.
I think the thought process has to do with player personnel and not staff personnel. They are still transitioning the guys they need without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Funny thing about playing against a QB like Purdy. Purdy is really great at finding wide open guys outside of his progressions. He sucks at most everything else fundametally as a QB, but this is one hell of an attribute to have.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:37 pm

The tackling issue is insane to me. These guys started playing when were 5-7 years old and are good enough to make a NFL roster and can't tackle? FFS

Its like and MLB OFer not being able to catch a routine Fly ball.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:15 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:47 pm
Funny thing about playing against a QB like Purdy. Purdy is really great at finding wide open guys outside of his progressions. He sucks at most everything else fundametally as a QB, but this is one hell of an attribute to have.
Yes it was easier to be Purdy than Geno. But that kid did a nice job of avoiding sacks when we had good pressure and made some decent throws on the run.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 am

It's shanahans system

Simms
. "This is why I was saying draft f—king Mac Jones," Simms exclaimed. "This is why. He's a lesser Mac Jones," he said, referring to Purdy. "And yes, this is sustainable because as long as you're smart and have control of the football, Shanahan, the team they have, they don't ever make it all about the quarterback. So he's just going to be, 'Hey, f—khead, listen to this, I'm telling you the keys to the play right here, watch this guy, if you could just listen to me it'll be open.' That's all he needs."

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 am

trharder wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:15 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:47 pm
Yes it was easier to be Purdy than Geno. But that kid did a nice job of avoiding sacks when we had good pressure and made some decent throws on the run.
I will add that the Hawks left guys wide open while serveral white jerseys roamed the field like they were the officials in the game. Diggs just looked lost out there and left the middle of the field open most of the day. The Seahawks made Purdy look like a savant out there.

Perhaps we should be taking a closer look at how the staff is getting these guys ready to play football afterall. :?: Awful tackling and really poor coverage all day long.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:25 am

Sure if you keep shanahans receivers covered you be a long way to winning.
. Sometimes, the specificity surprises even Shanahan’s own players. On the Wednesday before a game in December 2018 against the Broncos, Shanahan drew up a pass play to George Kittle that wasn’t in the playbook.

“Look,” he told his tight end, “We’re going to run this play a couple times, and then we’re going to come back with this play-action, and as long as you don’t trip and fall, you’re going to have an 80-yard touchdown.“

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:26 am

Bob Condotta
·
Jan 17
@bcondotta
·
Follow
Pete Carroll on his radio show on @SeattleSports on the impact of Brock Purdy's scrambling Saturday: "Our inability to get him sacked was probably the difference in the ball game.''
Bob Condotta
@bcondotta
·
Follow
Carroll says team will stick with its 3-4 defensive scheme and points to issues with youth this year as the major factor on defense saying "we can't help but get better. We’re just going to get so much better.''

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:04 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 am
Perhaps we should be taking a closer look at how the staff is getting these guys ready to play football afterall. :?: Awful tackling and really poor coverage all day long.
Agreed!

Carroll says team will stick with its 3-4 defensive scheme and points to issues with youth this year as the major factor on defense saying "we can't help but get better. We’re just going to get so much better.''

I hope that includes tackling :D

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:37 pm
The tackling issue is insane to me. These guys started playing when were 5-7 years old and are good enough to make a NFL roster and can't tackle? FFS

Its like and MLB OFer not being able to catch a routine Fly ball.
I disagree. Yes, these guys have been doing it all there lives, but the longer this league moves on, the less tackling will occur, because it will be played by guys that have less and less work at that craft. They don't practice it anymore, at any level. It's been awhile since I coached Pop Warner, but we were SEVERELY limited in the amount of contact we could allow. We taught tackling at walking speed, then wondered why we couldn't tackle. Tackling is something that should be practiced. They guys barely practice, let alone practice contact. The quality of play is lacking, the officiating is terrible, but the NFL continues to make money, and people continue to look at football as a car crash. Despite the fact that girls soccer has more concussions!