Who do the Mocks have us taking at #5 right now

D-train

Who do the Mocks have us taking at #5 right now

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:49 pm

nfl.com
Tyree Wilson, Edge
School: Texas Tech
Year: Senior (RS)

Pete Carroll admitted after the season that the Seahawks needed more difference-makers in their front seven. Wilson is a tall, long and rangy pass rusher. He can also set a physical edge against the run.
CBS Sports
Round 1 - Pick 5

Tyree Wilson EDGE
TEXAS TECH • SR • 6'6" / 275 LBS

SPIELMAN: There were two solid defensive options for Spielman to choose from here: Tyree Wilson and Myles Murphy. He's why he went with Wilson: "He's bigger, he has so much more upside. I think when we go down to the Senior Bowl, he's really going to show up. He is a unique athlete for how tall he is, and his bend in pass rush and his ability to burst to the quarterback is pretty unique. ... I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best pass rusher out of this draft before it's all said and done."
Seahawks wire
Pick No. 5: Alabama QB Bryce Young

The Seahawks say they want Geno Smith back, but you can’t always get what you want. After two contentious months of negotiations, Pete Carroll and John Schneider decide they’d rather rebuild around a quarterback on a rookie contract. Their instinct is rewarded when the Texans sign Smith to a three-year, $100 million deal, which helps Young drop to No. 5 overall. Young posted video game numbers as a Sophomore en route to winning the Heisman, including 4,872 passing yards and 47 touchdowns. This past year Young (6-foot-0, 194 pounds) posted another 32 touchdown passes, five interceptions and a 163.2 rating.
PFF
5. QB C.J. STROUD, OHIO STATE
Stroud put a stamp on his college tenure in a big way with the second-highest-graded game of his career against Georgia in the College Football Playoff. Stroud has the accuracy and anticipation to thrive in the NFL.
Walter Football
NFL Team Logo for Seahawks Seattle Seahawks: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
The Seahawks need to do a better job of getting to the quarterback and also stopping the run, especially after that disaster against Josh Jacobs and the Raiders, and subsequently, D'Onta Foreman and the Panthers.

Jalen Carter has shown flashes of huge upside.
Pro football network
5) Seattle Seahawks: Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

The Athletic with a trade down to 9
9. Seattle Seahawks (via Carolina): Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech
If you watched the Seahawks wilt in the second half of their wild-card matchup against the 49ers, you know that their defense needs help. At 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds with almost 36-inch arms, Tyree Wilson is a big, powerful athlete who can be disruptive from various alignments along the defensive line.
dt

D-train

Re: Who do the Mocks have us taking at #5 right now

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:51 pm

Tyree Wilson would result in a Wilson for Wilson trade. 3 of the 7 have us taking him. What are your guys thoughts on Wilson 2.0
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:56 pm

. I think when we go down to the Senior Bowl, he's really going to show up
Gotta wait for that Senior bowl

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:02 pm

LOL I just told my wife that I hate this time of year but I totally forgot about the Sr. Bowl!!! Only two weeks to wait!

2023 Senior Bowl/Date
Sat, Feb 4, 2023 2:30 PM
America/New_York
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:03 pm

I hear they are going to change the name of it to the LJ Collier Bowl to honor his amazing performance when he played in it.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:10 pm

What about the East West Shrine game?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:10 pm

How about bringing this game back????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_C ... ous%20year.
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:51 pm
Tyree Wilson would result in a Wilson for Wilson trade. 3 of the 7 have us taking him. What are your guys thoughts on Wilson 2.0
I don't understand Edge players for the Seahawks in mock projections at #5. Tyree is built for the edge, but do we need another Edge player or a DL?

I also find it interesting the Myles Murphy tends to be listed as either and Edge or DL. I think he'd looked dynamic as a DE in the 3-4 since he's both very powerful and fast.

I'm not feeling Edge when it comes to the Hawks needs at #5. Either draft DL or QB at #5 depending on the Geno situation and FA aspirations.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:54 pm
D-train wrote:
I don't understand Edge players for the Seahawks in mock projections at #5. Tyree is built for the edge, but do we need another Edge player or a DL?

I also find it interesting the Myles Murphy tends to be listed as either and Edge or DL. I think he'd looked dynamic as a DE in the 3-4 since he's both very powerful and fast.

I'm not feeling Edge when it comes to the Hawks needs at #5. Either draft DL or QB at #5 depending on the Geno situation and FA aspirations.
Edge rushers are just more valuable than DIs by every measure in the modern NFL.
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:54 pm
D-train wrote:

Edge rushers are just more valuable than DIs by every measure in the modern NFL.
Are you saying it's because the mock draft experts are judging their draft predictions on "modern NFL' needs?

My statement has to do with the Seahawks' #5 pick and their needs in order to stop the run and make an impact in the gaps. Selecting an Edge doesn't really address this fully since at Edge player has duties that can take them out of run plays and may only force a RB right into the Hawks weakness which is within the inside gaps.