Who do the Mocks have us taking at #5 right now

SeattleAddict

Re: Who do the Mocks have us taking at #5 right now

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Tyree Wilson would be a TERRIBLE pick. He's a 4-3 edge, and not that dominant. Good, yes (7 sacks)... but not #5 overall good. He doesn't fit the system, doesn't fit the need.

The Seahawks do not need another mediocre-to-good edge. They have Taylor and Mafe still on rookie contracts in that very position. If you take an edge rusher at #5, it has to be a 15-sack type of guy, not a guy that splits time with those other two.

Myles Murphy is the same situation, but a much better player.

If Carter or Anderson aren't available, and assuming Geno signs, 9/10 the Seahawks trade back. Somebody that wants a QB will move up - the nice thing about the Seahawks situation is the biggest needs are not top-10 pick positions. Center and MLB often drop to 2nd or 3rd rounds, IDL are valued, but they might be able to get someone like Bresee if they trade back to the mid-first, plus add a couple day two picks.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:36 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 pm
Tyree Wilson would be a TERRIBLE pick. He's a 4-3 edge, and not that dominant. Good, yes (7 sacks)... but not #5 overall good. He doesn't fit the system, doesn't fit the need.

The Seahawks do not need another mediocre-to-good edge. They have Taylor and Mafe still on rookie contracts in that very position. If you take an edge rusher at #5, it has to be a 15-sack type of guy, not a guy that splits time with those other two.

If Carter or Anderson aren't available, and assuming Geno signs, 9/10 the Seahawks trade back. Somebody that wants a QB will move up - the nice thing about the Seahawks situation is the biggest needs are not top-10 pick positions. Center and MLB often drop to 2nd or 3rd rounds, IDL are valued, but they might be able to get someone like Bresee if they trade back to the mid-first, plus add a couple day two picks.
Sounds like you think this Spielman guy is on Crack. LOL
SPIELMAN: There were two solid defensive options for Spielman to choose from here: Tyree Wilson and Myles Murphy. He's why he went with Wilson: "He's bigger, he has so much more upside. I think when we go down to the Senior Bowl, he's really going to show up. He is a unique athlete for how tall he is, and his bend in pass rush and his ability to burst to the quarterback is pretty unique. ... I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best pass rusher out of this draft before it's all said and done."
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:37 pm

How about Wilson at 9 like the Athletic is suggesting? Still too high?
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:56 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 pm

I'm feelin ya on many of your points. Tyree is very slow for an edge player and maybe a little long and upright for the 3-4 DE position.

Assuming Carter is not available and Geno is extended:
#5 DE Myles Murphy (Poona replacement)
#20 OL O'Cyrus Torrence (or trade out of this pick if he's not available)
#37 NT Mazi Smith (he rebuilt his body and his a beast in the middle that can handle double-teams which is important in the 3-4)

Would still need to find LB, Center, RB and WR too later in the draft.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:37 pm
for the Seahawks, yes. At 20, maybe you take a chance that he can play a different position. I think he's a mid-first type of guy, it's just if we really want to make the 3-4 work, then we need players that FIT the 3-4. All these guys look good on paper, but when you put a square peg in a round hole you get Cody Barton.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:39 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
D-train wrote:
for the Seahawks, yes. At 20, maybe you take a chance that he can play a different position. I think he's a mid-first type of guy, it's just if we really want to make the 3-4 work, then we need players that FIT the 3-4. All these guys look good on paper, but when you put a square peg in a round hole you get Cody Barton.
knowing them they will go back to 4-3 this season..lol
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:44 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:56 pm

Assuming Carter is not available and Geno is extended:
#5 DE Myles Murphy (Poona replacement)
#20 OL O'Cyrus Torrence (or trade out of this pick if he's not available)
#37 NT Mazi Smith (he rebuilt his body and his a beast in the middle that can handle double-teams which is important in the 3-4)

Would still need to find LB, Center, RB and WR too later in the draft.
I like all those guys... but I think Torrence and Smith might be available later. Who knows with Senior Bowl and combine and whatnot, but Torrence is a G and they don't normally get reached for, unless he can play C?? Smith seems like he'd be a great guy in the middle of a 3-4. We'll see how it plays out, but I wouldn't hate that draft.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:39 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
D-train wrote:
knowing them they will go back to 4-3 this season..lol
it would certainly simplify things. Poona could go back to being Poona, Barton could go back to the bench, and that opens up a couple potential studs at #5. I still feel like we'll end up with Bresee after trading down.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:46 am

Yeah it would simplify things, but I thought we were trying to get Pete into the 21st century, hopefully they stick to transitioning to the 3-4. Yeah, it can take time to transition

Hurtt on why they changed to a 3-4
.What I started to realize in the transition of how football was changing with all the spread offenses and the zone reads and RPO (run-pass option) concepts… you want to have the ability to be balanced,” he said. “And what happens is a lot of times offenses can put you in certain formations and sets so they can see coverage-wise what you’re doing. And obviously in today’s game, everything is all about how you affect the quarterback, not only by pressing and hidden in sacking him, but also screwing with his reads pre-snap and post-snap

“You can be balanced and be able to play out of a 2-high (safeties) shell and be able to cover down with your edge guys and whatnot when necessary,” he said. “So anything that you can do to make the quarterback have to work.”

“It’s something that you’ve got to have. And here’s the thing, it’s not that if you go 3-4 that you just don’t have any 4-3 elements to your defense. That’s not true,” Hurtt said. “A lot of the fronts and things like that – the multiplicity that you can give – you can still play over and under structures that you usually have in 4-3 defenses … So the multiplicity of 3-4 defenses is why I’ve become a big fan because I can get to whatever I need to with that structure and principle, and the principles with the coverage, as well.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:31 pm

Hopefully the terrible transition was due to not having the guys that could make it effective vs. some coaching issue.
dt