College vs. NFL rules what do you prefer?

D-train

College vs. NFL rules what do you prefer?

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Playing rules
Professional and college football have similar fundamentals. But they differ in a few ways.

Overtime rules. A college football game cannot end in a tie, while an NFL game can end in a tie apart from a playoff game. I prefer NFL here.

In the NFL, contact is necessary for a rule down to be called, but not in college football. FAR prefer the NFL.

For a pass to be considered completed in college football, there must be at least one foot down, whereas, in the NFL, both feet must be down. NFL is better.

After the first down, the clock in college football stops. In the NFL, it continues to run. Prefer College

Hash marks. I prefer college as it spreads the field more.

Can't fathom why they don't align the rules.
dt

Cascade Kid

Re: College vs. NFL rules what do you prefer?

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:54 pm

I find it interesting that college still has a running start kickoff.

I've never liked football games ending in a tie, but there's lots of wear and tear on players for every quarter played. But maybe they could add a "football" element such as a field goal kick off that starts at some sort of distance and moves back 5 yards after each made kick... just something so it doesn't end in a tie.

I could see that stopping the clock on every first down will add time to the length of the game, so I don't see them doing this.

Moving the hash marks wide would be interesting. Defenses and kickers would be impacted most.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 pm

I like college for everything except for overtime. That is a little too gimmicky.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:47 pm

Stopping the clock until the sticks get set is pointless. Look at the length of a college game. It's ridiculous.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:47 pm
Stopping the clock until the sticks get set is pointless. Look at the length of a college game. It's ridiculous.
I like it because it gives teams with no timeouts left a better chance and it eliminates you O lineman having to spring 30-40 yards down the field after a long completions. lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 pm
Michael K. wrote:
I like it because it gives teams with no timeouts left a better chance and it eliminates you O lineman having to spring 30-40 yards down the field after a long completions. lol
Well, like I said, it also makes the games impossibly long. A few years ago the Bama versus Clemson NC game was like 4 and a half hours. Scoring drives take about 70 seconds or less. It rewards poor clock management. Timeouts are WAY less critical. Stuff like that. It was the Bama and Clemson championship game that sealed it for me. The length of the game was ridiculous, even for a guy that loves to watch football. Think about how many times we have to worry about seeing the first quarter of a Husky game because the game on before it just started the 4th quarter minutes before kickoff. It's hard for me to look at ANYTHING the NCAA does and say it's better than the most profitable sports product in America.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:11 pm

the clock stopping on first downs is dumb. It's only because you have trainee-level people on the sticks. NFL guys are on top of it, so no need to stop the clock. It's actually pretty stupid that they use the chains at all... still have the one guy with the marker, but use technology to determine if it's a first down or not.

Similar reason for the one-foot down rule in college. NFL players are expected to be better, so higher degree of difficulty.

As for the hash marks, college is WAY too wide. College should bring them in - they were wider because the goalposts were wider, but when they narrowed the goal posts they kept the hash marks, which makes short field goals harder than long ones.

I also miss the no-overtime in college, because it forced teams to decide whether to take the tie or go for two, which was always interesting. Now always opt for OT 'cause it's just an easy way to pad scoring stats.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:48 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Well, like I said, it also makes the games impossibly long. A few years ago the Bama versus Clemson NC game was like 4 and a half hours. Scoring drives take about 70 seconds or less. It rewards poor clock management. Timeouts are WAY less critical. Stuff like that. It was the Bama and Clemson championship game that sealed it for me. The length of the game was ridiculous, even for a guy that loves to watch football. Think about how many times we have to worry about seeing the first quarter of a Husky game because the game on before it just started the 4th quarter minutes before kickoff. It's hard for me to look at ANYTHING the NCAA does and say it's better than the most profitable sports product in America.
Really doesn't matter to me if Husky games end at 2:17am or 2:33am Sunday morning. lol
dt