Cuts that might affect Seahawks

Michael K.

Re: Cuts that might affect Seahawks

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 pm

Gametime wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:07 pm
If Geno's first year number is 25-30 we will roughly have 15-17 Million in cap. So, it will be dumpster diving for fortifications to the defense. Because there has to be 7-10 million allocated for draft picks I believe.
I thought I heard Brock talking about this the other day, and due to how they spread out the signing bonus and the guarantee? I feel it is a little less than that. That said, I don't pretend to understand this.
Last edited by Michael K. on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:38 pm

The details of Smith’s contract will paint a clearer picture of the team’s salary-cap situation. His Year 1 base salary and a prorated portion of his signing bonus will likely make up the 2023 cap hit. The minimum salary for a player with Smith’s number of accrued seasons is $1.16 million, and that number coupled with a signing bonus proration could keep his 2023 cap number under $20 million — much easier to work with than $32.4 million.
https://theathletic.com/4282403/2023/03 ... ee-agency/

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:48 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 pm
Gametime wrote:
If Geno's first year number is 25-30 we will roughly have 15-17 Million in cap. So, it will be dumpster diving for fortifications to the defense. Because there has to be 7-10 million allocated for draft picks I believe.
I thought I heard Brock talking about this the other day, and due to how they spread out the signing bonus and the guarantee? I feel it is a little less than that. That said, I don't pretend to understand this.
without Geno's salary, the Seahawks only have 23M in cap space, so I don't know how in hell we could have 15-17 million after. That space could be cleared if Jackson and Harris were released, but there isn't much else left to do that would free up significant space, unless you did something unthinkable like cutting Nwosu.

I would figure Geno's contract takes up most of remaining space, then maybe Jackson is released (6.5m), Harris is restructured (5-6m??) and something happens with Jefferson (4.5)/Mone (2.6)/Woods (3.6). That is roughly 15m in space, could be 20 if Harris and Jefferson are both released instead of extended. There are a bunch of guys getting paid under/around $1 million each, but figure if they're cut they're just replaced by rookies or others with similar salary, so kind of a wash.

I wonder what kind of trades we'll make. I kinda feel like we might trade Taylor.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:10 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:30 pm
Gametime wrote:
We need backers!!

The Cap goes to 42.1 million left if these cuts happen and before Geno's deal: Shelby, Jackson, Mone, Hunt.

Jefferson cut would save 4.48 Million too.

So, lots to do with only 2-5 million dollars after Geno, draft picks, and 4 cuts. I know there can be some restructures. But, the Geno deal still hamstrings our dline. So, the draft has to be grand slam pics or it will be a tough year.

The little amount of cap we have and the massive amounts of draft picks has to get for sure:

1 Starting D tackle
2 starting Line Backers
1 Starting Center
1 starting Safety (Adams will get hurt, had to say it) and Neal is a RFA.

So, this thread list will be huge. John will have to sign low cost free agents. No other way with a large cap hit for Geno and a lot of draft picks sucking up all cap space we have.
They just signed Hunt.

Gabe Jackson and Quinton Jefferson look like prime targets to me.
Good call on GJ. Just released per Profootballrumors.com:
Seahawks Cut OL Gabe Jackson
March 9th, 2023 at 5:46pm CST by Adam La Rose
The Seahawks were in better financial shape than most other teams as of Thursday, but they have opened up more cap space by moving on from a veteran member of their offense. Seattle has released guard Gabe Jackson, per the transaction wire.

Jackson, 31, had one season remaining on his contract, and was due to count for just over $11.2MM on the Seahawks’ books this year. No guaranteed money remained on his pact, however, putting him at risk of being let go. This move will create $6.5MM in cap space for Seattle, while generating a dead money charge of $4.8MM.
I'd like to see the Seahawks draft OG O'Cyrus Torrence out of Florida with #20.

Also, Ben Burr-Kirven was released. Too bad his career derailed by injuries.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/ ... be-jackson
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:20 am

rockycola wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:10 am

Also, Ben Burr-Kirven was released. Too bad his career derailed by injuries.
Great Husky, heart like a Lion and so fast, but he was just too small to stand up to the hits in the NFL, IMO.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:05 pm

Adam Thielen released because he was set to count about 20m against the cap.

Probably won't be able to afford it, but would be about my perfect WR3.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Ben Jones, 2022 Pro Bowl Center, released by Titans. The only issue is he had two concussions last year, but that might also mean he'd sign for less than outrageous amount.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm
Ben Jones, 2022 Pro Bowl Center, released by Titans. The only issue is he had two concussions last year, but that might also mean he'd sign for less than outrageous amount.
Interesting. Sign this dude and draft a mauler at Guard and we are on to something.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:15 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:30 pm
Gametime wrote:
We need backers!!

The Cap goes to 42.1 million left if these cuts happen and before Geno's deal: Shelby, Jackson, Mone, Hunt.

Jefferson cut would save 4.48 Million too.

So, lots to do with only 2-5 million dollars after Geno, draft picks, and 4 cuts. I know there can be some restructures. But, the Geno deal still hamstrings our dline. So, the draft has to be grand slam pics or it will be a tough year.

The little amount of cap we have and the massive amounts of draft picks has to get for sure:

1 Starting D tackle
2 starting Line Backers
1 Starting Center
1 starting Safety (Adams will get hurt, had to say it) and Neal is a RFA.

So, this thread list will be huge. John will have to sign low cost free agents. No other way with a large cap hit for Geno and a lot of draft picks sucking up all cap space we have.
They just signed Hunt.

Gabe Jackson and Quinton Jefferson look like prime targets to me.
Those two are officially gone.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Darius Slay released. Quandre Diggs is his best friend. Adding him would make the defensive backfield easily the best it has been since the LOB days.

edit to add: new reports say Slay wanted a 3-year, fully guaranteed deal, so Eagles let him walk. I don't see giving a 30+ year old CB 3 years guaranteed. But if he doesn't find any takers, maybe he'll take a 1 year deal?