Breaking Geno signs 3 years $105M

Donn Beach

Re: Breaking Geno signs 3 years $105M

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:43 pm

I don't understand what that supposed to mean.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:43 pm
I don't understand what that supposed to mean.
My guess is its Actual turnovers + dropped INTs + Fumbles - Lost Fumbles. Might be more to it but I would imagine that is most of it.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:49 pm

Per PFF's glossary, turnover-worthy plays (TWP) is defined as “a pass that has a high percentage chance to be intercepted or a poor job of taking care of the ball and fumbling.”
I would think having a better defense will help given we would be in fewer holes and less desperate on offense.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:57 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:15 am
trharder wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:48 am
This would not have been possible if there were any other teams seriously in love with Geno.
this is just plain false. No other teams could legally even contact Geno until today.
It was possible because Geno wanted to stay a Seahawk, and didn't try to screw them. He bet on himself with this contract, and that should be celebrated instead of questioned. Love him or hate him, he could've played hard ball and didn't - he signed a very team-friendly deal with no drama.
lol. yeah. I no longer believe in the tooth fairy either.
Given his top six QB stats, In order to sign Geno to a 3 year 40million guaranteed deal, Geno and more importantly his agent, have to
believe no other team is going to significantly pay a higher per year, longer term, larger guaranteed deal.
In a world where the best tennis player in the world is not allowed in the USA because he's not vaccinated, do you really believe
Geno's agent doesn't have any idea what the market it for his client "because a date on the calendar says you can't contact him".? lol
In last months articles for top FAs, Geno is there, but the only team mentioned was the Seahawks. This was true.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:49 pm
Per PFF's glossary, turnover-worthy plays (TWP) is defined as “a pass that has a high percentage chance to be intercepted or a poor job of taking care of the ball and fumbling.”
I would think having a better defense will help given we would be in fewer holes and less desperate on offense.
Was gonna ask who's number one, seems Josh Allen

Corbin Smith with a Geno final grade

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... out-season

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:33 pm

Another thing to consider is that Geno was clearly worse in the 2nd half of the season. Was that because they were facing better teams or because coaches were figuring out ways to slow him down?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:45 pm

From the article
. Though his numbers dipped off quite a bit in the final two months with an uptick in turnovers and poor decisions, not all of that drop off can be pinned on Smith. The Seahawks went through a long slump where they could not run the football at all, putting an immense amount of weight on the quarterback's shoulders conducting a one-dimensional offense. Making matters worse, the offensive line struggled to protect him and provide time for him to throw in the second half, earning four of its five worst pass protection grades from PFF after Week 11. This included a dreadful outing in Kansas City where he was running for his life every time he dropped back to throw

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:49 pm
I mentioned earlier that Smith was sacked 46 times, tied for second with Cousins. Sacks lead to fumbles.

But it's fun to see Wilson at the top :lol:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 101148.png

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:45 pm
From the article
. Though his numbers dipped off quite a bit in the final two months with an uptick in turnovers and poor decisions, not all of that drop off can be pinned on Smith. The Seahawks went through a long slump where they could not run the football at all, putting an immense amount of weight on the quarterback's shoulders conducting a one-dimensional offense. Making matters worse, the offensive line struggled to protect him and provide time for him to throw in the second half, earning four of its five worst pass protection grades from PFF after Week 11. This included a dreadful outing in Kansas City where he was running for his life every time he dropped back to throw
This could literally be used to describe any QB that has his play decline. Or, improve for that matter. The offensive line struggeld to protect him is code for they couldn't run it anymore and had to pass every down, or....Guess what? Seattle started two rookie Tackles.

This theory that Geno played poorly in the second half but it wasn't his fault is an odd one. Yet, it is an excuse basically every QB in the NFL has the benefit of being able to use. QB sucked? They couldn't protect him, the running game struggled and the defense put them in poor positions. QB played well. WOW, what a stud. Why isn't the reverse true? Geno was good in the first half because the Line protected him and the run game was effective? Because it doesn't fit the narrative that the QB is the be all end all. I guess that is why the 49ers were so good with Mr Irrelevant, right?

Teams winning games? Run the ball, throw it less, and are thus sacked fewer times. I guess unless you are the Bills or Chiefs, and no one else has Allen or Mahomes.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:14 pm

Geno didn't suck the second half of the season, though. There was a decline from the first half, but hell, he was playing at a near-MVP level the first half.

Most QBs tend to decline later in the year, as injuries mount, and defenses get better and start figuring things out. Probably happens to 90% of the QBs in the league, with the few that don't being the MVP and Super Bowl winners.

There were some bad decisions, but there were two big factors that I remember well - two plays where he thought there was a free play but offsides wasn't called, then when Goodwin got hurt and the non-DK/Lockett WRs were running wrong routes. That resulted in at least 3, maybe 4 INTs, which has a HUGE impact on stats, and aren't' indicative of poor play.

Now I get that this is "making excuses" but I say it just to make the point that his play didn't decline NEARLY as much as this thread is implying. He didn't play poorly, just not as well as when he was absolutely on fire.

This team needs upgrades on the interior O-Line and WR depth, because if you want to talk about a decline in play, look at those two groups.