Breaking Geno signs 3 years $105M

trharder

Re: Breaking Geno signs 3 years $105M

Post by trharder » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:28 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:33 pm
Its basically a bit less than a franchise tag with a $10 mil cap hit.
My math says $27.3 million. Am I right?
That's quite a bit less than the franchise tag, which I'm reading is $32.4 million.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:24 am

Geno betting on himself

. Smith got guaranteed $27.3 million at signing. That’s the league’s 117th-highest up-front guarantee.

Smith didn’t play like the 19th-best quarterback and 117th-best player in the NFL last season. He broke three Seahawks season passing records of his predecessor Russell Wilson. He made his first Pro Bowl of his 10-year career. He made his first postseason start, leading Seattle to where Wilson did not the previous season.

Why did he agree to the contract?

It gives him $27.3 million in guarantees. That’s $10 million more than Smith has earned, total, in guarantees, salaries and bonuses, in his first 10 NFL seasons.

And Smith is banking on earning the incentive money and the Seahawks keeping him for all three years of the deal, pushing his earnings to approaching the maximum total value of $105 million.

“I just believe in my ability. I believe that with the guys around me, with the coaches that we have, like I said, I think the future’s very bright for us,” he said. “And so with the contracts and the incentives, it’s just a way, obviously, for both parties to make it work. It allows the team room and space to do what they need to do — but it also gives me an opportunity to be one of the top-10 paid quarterbacks, which is something that I believe I am.

“So with all those things, I think it worked out pretty great

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:43 am

Going through the Walter football draft grades from last year. He has been expecting a QB since round two. That comment was prophetic lol
. Seattle Seahawks: Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati - B Grade
Coby Bryant is a solid prospect I had in the fourth round for most of my mock draft updates, so I like this range for him. He also fills a need the Seahawks had at cornerback. I just wonder why Seattle hasn't addressed quarterback yet. The team has no chance with Geno Smith or Drew Lock.
Woolen, hadn't heard health concerns before
. Seattle Seahawks: Tariq Woolen, CB, Texas-San Antonio - A+ Grade
This is a classic fifth-round cornerback pick by the Seahawks. Tariq Woolen is tall and athletic like other corners Seattle has drafted. Woolen would've been taken much earlier if it weren't for health worries, but this is incredible value that fills a need. I love this selection.