Make your first two rounds of Hawks picks here

Michael K.

Re: Make your first two rounds of Hawks picks here

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 am

This was a statement from about a month ago, not three years ago. He's current philosophy is to draft best available and not strictly targeting need. So your examples are really the reason he has taken a step back to really evaluate his draft approach.
"I think I talked about it before, the lessons you learn along the way," Schneider remarked. "I'm Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I've made, and why. Comparing players and purely drafting for need."
The problem I have with that is it shouldn't have taken that long. They fell in love with being different and looking smart. I have read things about losing a front office guy that was extremely good at evaluating talent, have read stuff about Pete being too far removed from college coaching and didn't know the players as well anymore, but I don't know it is either. Every man has an ego, and their egos had been stroked so hard after picks like Bobbie and Russ and KJ and Sherman and others? They continued to believe they had to do that. Ifedi was a fucking reach, Irvin was a reach but we were told he was the next great LB they would discover, a long ass list of shitty CBs that they were going to make magic happen with, Eskridge was the next Ty Lockett but most all of us feared he was the next fucking Paul Richardson, LJ Collier had an amazing Senior Bowl and would be our next great edge (Jesus this one was stupid), Penny was the second most elusive runner in college behind Saquon, but he did it against far less talent than than the others and McDowell was a top 10 talent with attitude issues Pete could fix. Non of those were BPA.

Saying, "oh, we learned our lesson after LJ"? Frustrates me even more. They haven't, because I truly believe they next time they think they have the chance to look smarter than everyone else? They'll reach for a guy they want even though it's too early. I imagine the fact that they were the talk of the NFL pre Super Bowl, how every draft was graded poorly and then panned out? Was intoxicating and highly addicting. As great as that was, I liked last year. No reaches, no what the fuck moments, just good players at a good value where they were selected. They didn't trade back numerous times to load up on Mike Tyson and Tedric fucking Thompsen, they didn't draft some tiny fast receiver or a former Safety to play DE/LB or a huge Guard to play Tackle. They took players worthy of that draft position, and didn't move past guys worthy to load up on Meh talent later.

In a nut shell? They did what they hadn't done in some time. Hard to be super critical lately, because besides Eskridge, I can't think of a ton of guys lately I didn't like or at least understand why we took them. But, it sure as fuck shouldn't have taken the colossal failure of LJ Collier, a guy most in here called a failure the day he was drafted, to make them realize drafting for need is fucking stupid.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 am
Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:07 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 am

You can call BS all you want. He said this early last month in an interview and admitted to draft mistakes by rushing to pick a player due to the fear of missing out. Collier was one of the examples in the conversation. They reached for them when they saw a bunch of edge rushers come off the board and the draft kind of fell apart on them

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... ng-combine
Which, by definition, is NOT drafting for need. Not sure why you think that somehow makes your point. Again, Ifedi, Penny, Irvin, Eskridge and several others I don't really care to go look for, where NOT the best player available. They took someone they wanted...it didn't work out. Saving face is saying "yeah, we always take the best player available." I don't give a fuck what he SAID, they also said they weren't trading Russell Wilson.

They have done a lot right, but to flat out say they only draft best player available, when looking at their drafts? Is fucking bullshit, sorry, it is.
This was a statement from about a month ago, not three years ago. He's current philosophy is to draft best available and not strictly targeting need. So your examples are really the reason he has taken a step back to really evaluate his draft approach.
"I think I talked about it before, the lessons you learn along the way," Schneider remarked. "I'm Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I've made, and why. Comparing players and purely drafting for need."
If a GM in any sport says they draft for need instead of BPA they are basically saying, "I would really love to get fired".
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Indy won't trade down with Sea, they are going QB.

Arz might not, and they will probably go defense or trade to LV or CAR

Texans could go Anderson or I hear they are very high on Young.

That leaves only potentially the Bears if they want to trade up.

"Jason LaConfora on rumors of Seattle trading up to #1"
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/are-the-se ... ng-up-to-1

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Isn't the only reason to trade up if you fall in love with one of the QBs? So, if our goal is to get Anderson, unless he is going #1, if your scenario is correct, I'd say we have a pretty good chance of getting him if Arizona trades to Vegas or Carolina...right? I know many are afraid of Carter now, but he is a pretty good consolation prize. Or? We trade down a few spots and maybe still get him?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:00 pm

The Seahawks aren't trading up. I am sure they "explore the option" of trading up, because that's what the always do. They explore every possibility, get rumors started about what they might do, then do something different. If they say they like a guy, that means they want somebody else to want him more. It's when they say nothing about it that you can expect that from them.

It is for this reason (among others) that I am sure they won't draft a QB at 5. They have talked many times about looking at QBs. Pete's recent interview they asked about which position groups looked good to him, he mentioned QB, TEs, DBs, but nothing about linemen or LBs. That is where they will go.

They go out of their way to not show their hand, and try to manipulate others into thinking they're going to do something else. They do it every year, and every year everybody falls for it.

Obviously, weird things happen so it all can change depending how things break, but I don't think Plan A or Plan B involve a QB, and DEFINITELY don't involve moving up.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Looking the other way through the lens of Ryan Poles and the Bears they may be limited on their true trade partners unless they want to runaway from Will Anderson or both Anderson and Carter. Or if they want Anderson or Carter their only trade partners might be the Texans, Colts or Seahawks.

If the Bears trade down, AZ would get to pick ahead of the Bears, and I'm betting the Cards would rather draft Anderson at this point. Seattle might be 50/50 depending on best available QB or defense.

So the Bears would be risking a certainly good maybe great defensive pick if they trade down to #6 or further. This is because if the Bears trade to the Raiders it would be very likely 3 of the top 4 picks go QB, and then Anderson and Carter round out the first six picks. Ask yourself, "when was the last time 4 QBs were drafted in the first 6 picks of an NFL draft?" I think it would be unprecedented.

2021 Draft
#1 Lawrence
#2 Zach Wilson
#3 Lance
#11 Fields

2020 Draft
#1 Burrow
#5 Tua
#6 Herbert

2019 Draft
#1 K. Murray
#6 D. Jones

2018 Draft
#1 Mayfield
#3 Darnald
#7 Allen
#10 Rosen

2017 Draft
#2 Trubisky

2016 Draft
#1 Goff
#2 Wentz

2015 Draft
#1 Jameis Winston
#2 Mariota

2014 Draft
#3 Bortles

Based on this historical trend and if the Bears covet Anderson and Carter (they do need rush defense help) their top trade partners would have to be the Texans, Colts or Seahawks.
Last edited by Cascade Kid on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:00 pm
The Seahawks aren't trading up. I am sure they "explore the option" of trading up, because that's what the always do. They explore every possibility, get rumors started about what they might do, then do something different. If they say they like a guy, that means they want somebody else to want him more. It's when they say nothing about it that you can expect that from them.
This is something that really amuses me when I hear Seattle reporters or on air personalities or even fans talk about. Do we REALLY believe that our team is the only one that looks at ALL the possibilities? I hear this mentioned about PC and JS so much it is crazy. Name a GM or VP of Ops that DOESN'T do this and I'll show you one that isn't a GM or VP of Ops.
SeattleAddict wrote:
It is for this reason (among others) that I am sure they won't draft a QB at 5. They have talked many times about looking at QBs. Pete's recent interview they asked about which position groups looked good to him, he mentioned QB, TEs, DBs, but nothing about linemen or LBs. That is where they will go.

They go out of their way to not show their hand, and try to manipulate others into thinking they're going to do something else. They do it every year, and every year everybody falls for it.
Eh, I wouldn't say everyone. But I do agree that the more I hear them talk about a certain player or position group in FA or the Draft the less and less likely I think we are to get one of those.
SeattleAddict wrote:
Obviously, weird things happen so it all can change depending how things break, but I don't think Plan A or Plan B involve a QB, and DEFINITELY don't involve moving up.
I agree. I think they want Anderson, would look long and hard at Carter, but if Anderson is gone? I think they do everything they can to trade back a few spots.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:03 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:

What could be interesting is a 3-way deal sending the #1 pick to Houston, #2 to Seattle, and #5 to the Bears

Bears get:
#5 (Seahawks), #20 (Seahawks), #33 (Texans), #123 (Seahawks) ...and still very likely have a shot at drafting Anderson or Carter

Texans get:
#1 (Bears), #103 (Bears)

Seahawks get:
#2 (Texans)

The Seahawks would still retain both of its 2nd round picks in this hypotheticial deal

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:38 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:03 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

What could be interesting is a 3-way deal sending the #1 pick to Houston, #2 to Seattle, and #5 to the Bears

Bears get:
#5 (Seahawks), #20 (Seahawks), #33 (Texans), #123 (Seahawks) ...and still very likely have a shot at drafting Anderson or Carter

Texans get:
#1 (Bears), #103 (Bears)

Seahawks get:
#2 (Texans)

The Seahawks would still retain both of its 2nd round picks in this hypotheticial deal
Yikes. So, draft a QB that we assume won't play next year and give up another first round pick. So, instead of having potentially two impact players to help next year's team get better, we wait for the second round to receive help for a team that went 9-8 and got pushed around in the first round of the playoffs? Pete doesn't believe in rebuilds, so I have a hard time thinking this is even remotely possible.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:41 pm

The way we finished last year, IMO, getting dominated by the NFC South and physically dwarfed twice by the 49ers took some shine off what was obviously a better year than I anticipated. Punting the first round this year doesn't wet my appetite. I know I know, QB is important. But I am not willing to lose #20 for a guy that I am not positive is the answer, and not sure I am willing to lose two 1sts in one draft even if its Stroud.