Post by D-train » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:12 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:29 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:56 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:57 pm

If it's Michael Mayer I won't
right? Like Colby Parkinson couldn't be upgraded? Mayer is supposed to be the next Gronk. We have 10 picks, if we snag a stud player or two at positions that aren't huge needs, that's fine with me.

Plus, this is a very deep TE class. There's a very good chance we take one.
Exactly! The Seahawks drafted very well last year. They didn't draft for need. They took value when it was their on the board regardless of position. Which has to be a factor when rebuilding. Sticking to that philosophy is a must going into this draft. I wouldn't mind grabbing another OL at some point in this draft again either.
We came in needing Two Tackles, a RB and Edge rusher, some CBs and they took Cross, Lucas, Walker, Mafe, Bryant and Woolen so I was say that is drafting for need.
dt

SeattleAddict

Re: Make your first two rounds of Hawks picks here

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:09 pm

First thing Pete would do is have him go to a three day seminar on Blocking techniques for Dive plays. lol
yeah, probably! I can't remember who it was, but one of the TEs was described as "an extra tackle that can catch" because he was such a good blocker. Tell me that doesn't sound like a Seahawk pick??

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:36 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:18 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:09 pm

First thing Pete would do is have him go to a three day seminar on Blocking techniques for Dive plays. lol
yeah, probably! I can't remember who it was, but one of the TEs was described as "an extra tackle that can catch" because he was such a good blocker. Tell me that doesn't sound like a Seahawk pick??
Likely Darnell Washington out of Georgia. Very good blocker. I wouldn't go spending any of the first four picks on his though. Schoonmaker could be a decent late round find for some team.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:12 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:29 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:56 pm

right? Like Colby Parkinson couldn't be upgraded? Mayer is supposed to be the next Gronk. We have 10 picks, if we snag a stud player or two at positions that aren't huge needs, that's fine with me.

Plus, this is a very deep TE class. There's a very good chance we take one.
Exactly! The Seahawks drafted very well last year. They didn't draft for need. They took value when it was their on the board regardless of position. Which has to be a factor when rebuilding. Sticking to that philosophy is a must going into this draft. I wouldn't mind grabbing another OL at some point in this draft again either.
We came in needing Two Tackles, a RB and Edge rusher, some CBs and they took Cross, Lucas, Walker, Mafe, Bryant and Woolen so I was say that is drafting for need.
I felt that need met value when value presented itself. In our case we were very fortunate the board worked out the way it did with our needs last year. Also Bryant and Woolen were 4th and 5th rd picks. That doesn't scream drafting for need at that position. Just my opinion.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm

JS has been asked the question, "do you draft for need or best available?" Without hesitation he said 'best available'.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:17 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm
JS has been asked the question, "do you draft for need or best available?" Without hesitation he said 'best available'.
Yeah, because Germain Ifedi and LJ Collier were the best players available? Bruce Irvin? Rashaad Penny? They passed on guys like Lamar Jackson and TJ Watt, and it was excused because we didn't need those positions. Sorry, I call bullshit.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:17 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm
Yeah, because Germain Ifedi and LJ Collier were the best players available? Bruce Irvin? Rashaad Penny? They passed on guys like Lamar Jackson and TJ Watt, and it was excused because we didn't need those positions. Sorry, I call bullshit.
You can call BS all you want. He said this early last month in an interview and admitted to draft mistakes by rushing to pick a player due to the fear of missing out. Collier was one of the examples in the conversation. They reached for them when they saw a bunch of edge rushers come off the board and the draft kind of fell apart on them

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... ng-combine

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:07 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 am

You can call BS all you want. He said this early last month in an interview and admitted to draft mistakes by rushing to pick a player due to the fear of missing out. Collier was one of the examples in the conversation. They reached for them when they saw a bunch of edge rushers come off the board and the draft kind of fell apart on them

Which, by definition, is NOT drafting for need. Not sure why you think that somehow makes your point. Again, Ifedi, Penny, Irvin, Eskridge and several others I don't really care to go look for, where NOT the best player available. They took someone they wanted...it didn't work out. Saving face is saying "yeah, we always take the best player available." I don't give a fuck what he SAID, they also said they weren't trading Russell Wilson.

They have done a lot right, but to flat out say they only draft best player available, when looking at their drafts? Is fucking bullshit, sorry, it is.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 am

yeah everybody says they draft BPA, but nobody really abides by it. maybe more so in the top 15 for position players, but even there you see a lot of reaches for QB.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:07 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 am

Which, by definition, is NOT drafting for need. Not sure why you think that somehow makes your point. Again, Ifedi, Penny, Irvin, Eskridge and several others I don't really care to go look for, where NOT the best player available. They took someone they wanted...it didn't work out. Saving face is saying "yeah, we always take the best player available." I don't give a fuck what he SAID, they also said they weren't trading Russell Wilson.

They have done a lot right, but to flat out say they only draft best player available, when looking at their drafts? Is fucking bullshit, sorry, it is.
This was a statement from about a month ago, not three years ago. He's current philosophy is to draft best available and not strictly targeting need. So your examples are really the reason he has taken a step back to really evaluate his draft approach.
"I think I talked about it before, the lessons you learn along the way," Schneider remarked. "I'm Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I've made, and why. Comparing players and purely drafting for need."