QB Anthony Richardson
19%
CB Devon Witherspoon
No votes
Edge/OLB Tyree Wilson
11%
Edge/DE Myles Murphy
No votes
Trade Down (Please feel free to write-in your TD pick)
11%

Total votes: 27

57reasons

Re: Who's Your Pick At #5

Post by 57reasons » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:45 pm
right now, we only have one defensive player on the roster over 300 lbs. In a 3-4, that is unheard of. Jones is listed as a DT, but he's a DE in this defense, and Jarran Reed isn't really the huge guy in the middle, either.

I promise you the Seahawks will take a big DT early. Whether that's Carter or Bresee or Ika or Mazi or whomever, it will happen (unless of course they bring in or bring back a couple guys).
they dont get much bigger than Al Woods, or much better at anchoring right at the point. i still think he could come back later after the market dries up. With Reed here he doesnt need to take quite as many snaps, and at his age that might be a good thing for him personally just before heading off to retirement, make the pay cut more tolerable.
and other than Ika and Mazi I dont see a lot of NTs in this draft pool. maybe Benton from Wisconsin 3rd or 4th or ASU's Sylvera in the late rounds?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:54 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 am

they dont get much bigger than Al Woods, or much better at anchoring right at the point. i still think he could come back later after the market dries up. With Reed here he doesnt need to take quite as many snaps, and at his age that might be a good thing for him personally just before heading off to retirement, make the pay cut more tolerable.
and other than Ika and Mazi I dont see a lot of NTs in this draft pool. maybe Benton from Wisconsin 3rd or 4th or ASU's Sylvera in the late rounds?
I also think the plan is to bring back Woods, but who knows if that'll be possible. Mazi has Seahawks written all over him - freak athlete, all the tools, just hasn't put it together yet. Ika seems like a better fit. Both of them should also be available with our later 2nd round pick. I'm wondering if the Seahawks are actually doing something different and planning a lineup of 3 oversized DEs/undersized DTs in the 280 lb range. Would give a lot of versatility.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:03 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm

Huh? So, the 49ers were "derailed" and lost the NFC Championship game because they had not one, not two, but three FUCKING QBS get hurt? Guess what? One of those guys is a guy they traded up in the first to get! The Niners have Stars, and they have those Stars because they USED high end first round picks. Not because they traded back. We have guys, we need Stars. If your definition of "derailed" is what the Niners did last year? Sign me up for us being "derailed" next year.
Which "Stars" did the 9ers have on their roster last year, besides Bosa, that were "high-end 1st round draft picks? What is a high-end 1st round draft pick anyways?

Many of their top 10 draft picks don't even play on the team anymore. Nonetheless, the 9ers do an exceptional job at drafting overall.
Trust me, I am not the one that has been excusing the Seahawks for picking in the middle of the first round, and saying the 49ers are only good because they have many high first round draft picks. And dude, come one, what is a High First round draft pick? I guess it would seem, if you ask Seahawk fans, any first round pick before the 15th or lower pick that we seem to always have.

Maybe you haven't been on this forum for some time, but I will fill you in on one thing. There are MANY that have excused the fall from back to back NFC Championships to mediocrity by saying we didn't have enough high first round picks. Many of those also said the 49ers are now good BECAUSE they had high first round picks. Also, some of those are now suggesting you don't need high first round picks, you need depth. Odd, that now that we have one, the tide has shifted.

So, I don't have the definition you require. Maybe those that blame Seattle's "low first round pick" status for years for our fall in talent can give you that definition. I do not that you can't turn on ESPN without reading about all the first round talent the 49ers have up front, and how many of those are "high first round"picks.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:46 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 pm

I've said this before (and my apologies if I sound like a broken record) but I believe that Carroll enjoyed the advantage of competing against players from the college game, diamonds in the rough so to speak (Sherman (5th round) and Baldwin (undrafted) to name a couple). When I look at SEA's Super Bowl teams, I see a lot of lower round picks (Sherman was a 5th, Wilson was a 3rd, Chancellor was a 5th, KJ Wright a 4th), undrafted players (Bennett, Browner) and the Lynch trade that built the team. ET was an exception. But they drafted Okung before Thomas. Irvin was a 1st rounder, Wagner a 2nd. James Carpenter was a 1st rounder. Marshawn went 12th overall.

I understand what you're saying, but the draft is not foolproof, not even close. How many highly drafted players have we seen fizzle out?

I'm with you, I would love to see a freak defensive player get drafted. Or a freak QB. But the outcome is usually much different from the expectation. I don't think the playmakers are as plentiful as one might think.
We are a LONG time removed from that philosophy working. What you are mentioning is EXACTLY why we ended up with Tedrick Thompson and Mike Tyson. Pete and John believed that what they did in those couple of drafts that got them Russ, Bobby and Richard, they could do all the time. It didn't work.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

We already have Blow (Mike Blowers) on the Seattle sports scene, this would give us Hooker and Blow! lol
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:54 pm

That draft must be why Mike Tannenbaum is sitting with the fans now

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:08 pm

Hooker at 5?
Most mocks don't even have him in the first round. That would be a total Seahawks move. :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:23 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:08 pm
Hooker at 5?
Most mocks don't even have him in the first round. That would be a total Seahawks move. :lol:
Was gonna say, a very Seahawky pick. I like him, but think it is a low value pick at that spot. He is one of the guys I would hope for later if we don't use one of our first three or four picks on QB.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:53 pm

Would 20 also be too crazy?? Maybe one of the 2nd rounders...

Why do people care about his age. He won't even be 30 yo at the end of the deal. The HOFer Goat who just retired was a bit older.
dt