QB Anthony Richardson
19%
CB Devon Witherspoon
No votes
Edge/OLB Tyree Wilson
11%
Edge/DE Myles Murphy
No votes
Trade Down (Please feel free to write-in your TD pick)
11%

Total votes: 27

D-train

Re: Who's Your Pick At #5

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:01 pm

auroraave wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:50 pm
douche wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:32 pm
Draft projection from NFL.com. And they have Carter going to the Lions at #6.

gonzalez.png
Seattle taking a corner at 5??? This has to be the most obtuse take of all time. Seattle focused on the secondary last year with huge results. They added another piece in free agency. Suggesting they are going to invest MORE cap space - first round $$$ - in an area that is already a major strength - while ignoring the biggest weakness on the team - the front seven - is bordering on retarded. An improved front seven will make the back end even better by greatly improving run support which will reduce that stresser on the back end - and an upgraded pass rush will shorten plays and make QB's release faster or get sacked. Unless this guy writes for The Onion and this is meant to be parody - he's a complete idiot. I always wonder if these people even bother to think this shit through. How in the hell can he possibly come to this conclusion? If seattle made this pick I would be legit furious. No way in hell JS does this.
Who is our outside corner opposite of Woolen? I agree it is unlikely but we need another corner.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:04 pm

Mike Jackson is our other starting corner right now with a PFF of 60. Weak. Prob not at five but I would love a second or third round CB
cb.JPG
cb.JPG (16.55 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pm

auroraave wrote:
douche wrote:

gonzalez.png
Seattle taking a corner at 5??? This has to be the most obtuse take of all time. Seattle focused on the secondary last year with huge results. They added another piece in free agency. Suggesting they are going to invest MORE cap space - first round $$$ - in an area that is already a major strength - while ignoring the biggest weakness on the team - the front seven - is bordering on retarded. An improved front seven will make the back end even better by greatly improving run support which will reduce that stresser on the back end - and an upgraded pass rush will shorten plays and make QB's release faster or get sacked. Unless this guy writes for The Onion and this is meant to be parody - he's a complete idiot. I always wonder if these people even bother to think this shit through. How in the hell can he possibly come to this conclusion? If seattle made this pick I would be legit furious. No way in hell JS does this.
btw advocating drafting for need over BPA is quite the antiquated take..... :P
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:28 pm

Taking a CB at 5 isn't that far-fetched. It certainly isn't the biggest position of need, but adding an elite CB on the other side would be an upgrade and a very PC/JS thing to do. Plus there are a couple of CBs worthy of top 10 looks (Gonzalez, Witherspoon and Porter). Like QB, it's one of those positions that gets drafted higher, where our primary positions of need (DT, MLB, C) are usually available later.

Not saying this is what I want or what I think will happen, just that it is a possibility and not as "retarded" as you think. Just depends how things break.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:11 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:28 pm
Taking a CB at 5 isn't that far-fetched. It certainly isn't the biggest position of need, but adding an elite CB on the other side would be an upgrade and a very PC/JS thing to do. Plus there are a couple of CBs worthy of top 10 looks (Gonzalez, Witherspoon and Porter). Like QB, it's one of those positions that gets drafted higher, where our primary positions of need (DT, MLB, C) are usually available later.

Not saying this is what I want or what I think will happen, just that it is a possibility and not as "retarded" as you think. Just depends how things break.
There's that
The highest-drafted cornerback in 13 years under Pete Carroll is Shaquill Griffin, 90th overall

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm

I've heard they interviewed and have a good amount of interest in Julius Brents out of K-state. Projected late 2nd round

He's 6'2" and has a massive 82-7/8" wing span (100%). 41.5" vertical (98%) and 138" broad Jump (100%)

Looks servicable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvO5fbZNmM

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pm
auroraave wrote:
douche wrote:

gonzalez.png
It may be antiquated - but it makes the most sense - the secondary isn't the problem - it's the 7 in front of them - including a badly depleted LB corp. Upgrading those areas would immediately make the secondary better. I am sure that kid is great - but ignoring seattle greatest needs to project this pick seems wildly lazy. Not to mention the COST we would have tied up in one position group. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That said, they probably go get him , in which case, i will have to eat crow and buy his jersey - in which case I will look for a two-for one deal and send you one too :P

I think Seattle is posturing and wants to trade back. more chips, more options, more flexibility, less cap intrusive. Theoretically they could spread those chips out over this and the next draft - accumulating more depth than stars is what I see them thinking.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:49 pm

auroraave wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:58 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pm
auroraave wrote:

It may be antiquated - but it makes the most sense - the secondary isn't the problem - it's the 7 in front of them - including a badly depleted LB corp. Upgrading those areas would immediately make the secondary better. I am sure that kid is great - but ignoring seattle greatest needs to project this pick seems wildly lazy. Not to mention the COST we would have tied up in one position group. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That said, they probably go get him , in which case, i will have to eat crow and buy his jersey - in which case I will look for a two-for one deal and send you one too :P

I think Seattle is posturing and wants to trade back. more chips, more options, more flexibility, less cap intrusive. Theoretically they could spread those chips out over this and the next draft - accumulating more depth than stars is what I see them thinking.
Yeah I would think Carter is at least equal to him so the tie breaker would be need.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:59 pm

Bob says no reason they can't take QB at 5:
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
Another day, another selfie posted on the Seahawks official Twitter page of the team’s brain trust happily huddled around a quarterback expected to go at the top of the NFL draft.

On Friday, the picture was from Lexington, Kentucky. University of Kentucky quarterback Will Levis took the picture with seven Seahawks coaches and scouts in the background, including a grinning coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

This one, taken after Levis has thrown the rock around for an hour or so at Kentucky’s pro day, was titled “Just a couple cats,” a play on the nicknames of Kentucky and Central Washington. New Seahawks QB coach Greg Olson and assistant general manager Nolan Teasley, each in the photo standing behind Carroll and Schneider, are CWU grads.

On Thursday, most of those same Seahawks and coaches gathered around Bryce Young in Tuscaloosa for a similarly playful photo following Alabama’s pro day, the team site sending it out with the caption “The Young and the restless.”

And Wednesday it was in Columbus, with Carroll, Schneider and the rest arm-in-arm behind C.J. Stroud following Ohio State’s pro day — that one titled simply “Meeting of the minds.”

All are QBs who could go in the top five of the draft, all potentially gone by the time Seattle picks, but maybe at least one still available, as well.

ADVERTISING
So what’s it mean that an organization that usually is so secretive about its pre-draft plans that it will barely even acknowledge what day of the week the draft is being held (we kid, we kid … we think) is suddenly and gleefully advertising its presence at the pro days for Stroud, Young and Levis?

Are the Seahawks just trying to pound over the head of other QB-needy teams picking below them that, “Yep, we might just take a quarterback so you’d better make us an offer we can’t refuse if you want our pick to get your guy”?

Or could the Seahawks really be interested in taking a QB at 5 if one of them slips, as Carroll and Schneider have said publicly at every turn this offseason — a frankness that also is somewhat uncharacteristic?

As a popular meme asks: “Why not both?”

RELATED
Mailbag: Will Seahawks find nose tackle in free agency? When will they draft running back?
Seahawks bring contingent to Ohio State pro day to observe C.J. Stroud, Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Analysis: What to make of Seahawks’ 2019 draft with L.J. Collier gone
The pictures, of course, are mostly just the Seahawks having fun with the process of having the fifth overall pick in the draft, an occurrence they hope is a one-time thing (and maybe a reminder to all of how they got that pick in the first place, from Denver in the Russell Wilson trade).

As some have noted, it’s a process that probably reminds Carroll of his days wining and dining recruits at USC.

ADVERTISING
And to think they’d really think publicly announcing their presence is meaningful to other teams seems a little naive — everybody knows who is there anyway.

But, sure, maybe every little bit helps to keep everyone guessing.

Always compete, right?

The more pertinent question about the team’s tour of the pro days for all of the top QB prospects, though, remains this — could the Seahawks really take a quarterback at No. 5?

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

The hunch here is, sure, why not?

The Seahawks have zero reason to shut off any options at this point, including trying to acquire a big haul of picks by moving down some or staying put at 5 and taking a defensive player to continue the revamping on that side of the ball — they undoubtedly also took a long look at Alabama defensive end Will Anderson Jr. on Thursday.

But even if quarterback might not seem to be the team’s most immediate need, it’s hard to imagine Seattle won’t consider the bigger picture of the rare opportunity they have to potentially get a player who could be a decadelong fixture at the most important position in the game.

As Schneider said at the NFL combine in February, elite quarterbacks “don’t grow on trees.”

There’s no more valuable asset in the NFL than a good quarterback on a rookie contract, under club control for five years.

True, Seattle re-signed Geno Smith and Drew Lock in the past few weeks, solidifying the position for 2023.

But that’s really as far as the position is set.

Lock’s contract has just $1.75 million guaranteed for 2023 as is — he has to make the 53-man roster to get the rest.

And while Smith’s contract was initially advertised as three years, $105 million, and which then quickly turned out to be in reality three years with a base of $75 million with another $30 million in incentives, Seattle can get out of it after one year if it really wanted.

Smith, who will be 33 in October — not old, but not young, either — technically has no guaranteed money in his contract beyond the first season. He has a $9.6 million roster bonus due March 20, 2024, but no guaranteed salary in either 2023 or 2024.

Sponsored
If the Seahawks were to move on, they’d have paid him more than $27 million for just one season and incurred substantial dead cap hits in 2024 and 2025.

But there were certainly reasons the contract was written in a way that little is guaranteed beyond 2023, giving the team the ability to explore all options along the way.

So, read into it all what you will.

Just get ready for another photo next week as much of the same Seattle contingent is expected to head to Florida on Thursday to watch Anthony Richardson at the Gators’ pro day.

And someone tell Richardson to start working on his selfie-taking skills.
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:16 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Bob says no reason they can't take QB at 5:
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
Another day, another selfie posted on the Seahawks official Twitter page of the team’s brain trust happily huddled around a quarterback expected to go at the top of the NFL draft.

On Friday, the picture was from Lexington, Kentucky. University of Kentucky quarterback Will Levis took the picture with seven Seahawks coaches and scouts in the background, including a grinning coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

This one, taken after Levis has thrown the rock around for an hour or so at Kentucky’s pro day, was titled “Just a couple cats,” a play on the nicknames of Kentucky and Central Washington. New Seahawks QB coach Greg Olson and assistant general manager Nolan Teasley, each in the photo standing behind Carroll and Schneider, are CWU grads.

On Thursday, most of those same Seahawks and coaches gathered around Bryce Young in Tuscaloosa for a similarly playful photo following Alabama’s pro day, the team site sending it out with the caption “The Young and the restless.”

And Wednesday it was in Columbus, with Carroll, Schneider and the rest arm-in-arm behind C.J. Stroud following Ohio State’s pro day — that one titled simply “Meeting of the minds.”

All are QBs who could go in the top five of the draft, all potentially gone by the time Seattle picks, but maybe at least one still available, as well.

ADVERTISING
So what’s it mean that an organization that usually is so secretive about its pre-draft plans that it will barely even acknowledge what day of the week the draft is being held (we kid, we kid … we think) is suddenly and gleefully advertising its presence at the pro days for Stroud, Young and Levis?

Are the Seahawks just trying to pound over the head of other QB-needy teams picking below them that, “Yep, we might just take a quarterback so you’d better make us an offer we can’t refuse if you want our pick to get your guy”?

Or could the Seahawks really be interested in taking a QB at 5 if one of them slips, as Carroll and Schneider have said publicly at every turn this offseason — a frankness that also is somewhat uncharacteristic?

As a popular meme asks: “Why not both?”

RELATED
Mailbag: Will Seahawks find nose tackle in free agency? When will they draft running back?
Seahawks bring contingent to Ohio State pro day to observe C.J. Stroud, Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Analysis: What to make of Seahawks’ 2019 draft with L.J. Collier gone
The pictures, of course, are mostly just the Seahawks having fun with the process of having the fifth overall pick in the draft, an occurrence they hope is a one-time thing (and maybe a reminder to all of how they got that pick in the first place, from Denver in the Russell Wilson trade).

As some have noted, it’s a process that probably reminds Carroll of his days wining and dining recruits at USC.

ADVERTISING
And to think they’d really think publicly announcing their presence is meaningful to other teams seems a little naive — everybody knows who is there anyway.

But, sure, maybe every little bit helps to keep everyone guessing.

Always compete, right?

The more pertinent question about the team’s tour of the pro days for all of the top QB prospects, though, remains this — could the Seahawks really take a quarterback at No. 5?

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

The hunch here is, sure, why not?

The Seahawks have zero reason to shut off any options at this point, including trying to acquire a big haul of picks by moving down some or staying put at 5 and taking a defensive player to continue the revamping on that side of the ball — they undoubtedly also took a long look at Alabama defensive end Will Anderson Jr. on Thursday.

But even if quarterback might not seem to be the team’s most immediate need, it’s hard to imagine Seattle won’t consider the bigger picture of the rare opportunity they have to potentially get a player who could be a decadelong fixture at the most important position in the game.

As Schneider said at the NFL combine in February, elite quarterbacks “don’t grow on trees.”

There’s no more valuable asset in the NFL than a good quarterback on a rookie contract, under club control for five years.

True, Seattle re-signed Geno Smith and Drew Lock in the past few weeks, solidifying the position for 2023.

But that’s really as far as the position is set.

Lock’s contract has just $1.75 million guaranteed for 2023 as is — he has to make the 53-man roster to get the rest.

And while Smith’s contract was initially advertised as three years, $105 million, and which then quickly turned out to be in reality three years with a base of $75 million with another $30 million in incentives, Seattle can get out of it after one year if it really wanted.

Smith, who will be 33 in October — not old, but not young, either — technically has no guaranteed money in his contract beyond the first season. He has a $9.6 million roster bonus due March 20, 2024, but no guaranteed salary in either 2023 or 2024.

Sponsored
If the Seahawks were to move on, they’d have paid him more than $27 million for just one season and incurred substantial dead cap hits in 2024 and 2025.

But there were certainly reasons the contract was written in a way that little is guaranteed beyond 2023, giving the team the ability to explore all options along the way.

So, read into it all what you will.

Just get ready for another photo next week as much of the same Seattle contingent is expected to head to Florida on Thursday to watch Anthony Richardson at the Gators’ pro day.

And someone tell Richardson to start working on his selfie-taking skills.
Shane Waldron was absent in the Levis selfie.