Carolina trades for #1 overall

Michael K.

Re: Carolina trades for #1 overall

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm

The thought process makes no sense. Let's over spend to move up so we can get less later to move down? You keep defending the thought, or the topic, or what ever the Hell you want to call it. Just because some dude put in in print doesn't mean it is what Carolina is doing or that it is a smart thing to do. Trading up to trade back? Unless someone gets really excited about one of the QBs? By your own admission, the seem to like two and might end up liking three. A trade back at this point makes no sense, it's losing assets overall.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm
The thought process makes no sense. Let's over spend to move up so we can get less later to move down? You keep defending the thought, or the topic, or what ever the Hell you want to call it. Just because some dude put in in print doesn't mean it is what Carolina is doing or that it is a smart thing to do. Trading up to trade back? Unless someone gets really excited about one of the QBs? By your own admission, the seem to like two and might end up liking three. A trade back at this point makes no sense, it's losing assets overall.
I don't think they are concerned about trying to recoop anything. I think it was a toss away comment by that reporter that they could still wheel and deal .

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:14 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:36 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm
I don't think they are concerned about trying to recoop anything. I think it was a toss away comment by that reporter that they could still wheel and deal .
Which we agree on, that comment at best was a toss away. Most of what that guy typed should be tossed away. They didn't give up that much to move to #1 if they believe there are two or three guys worth that pick, and they aren't going to trade back and recoup less than they gave up...at least not without looking really stupid. It is the Panthers, so I guess maybe they will?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:18 pm

The trade back would be for a spot or two, it wouldn't be about trying to recoop what they paid to get the number one pick

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:15 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:18 pm
The trade back would be for a spot or two, it wouldn't be about trying to recoop what they paid to get the number one pick
Then, again, the move didn't make sense. Why give up a shit ton to move up, and then decide you want to move back?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 am

Panthers most likely use the number one pick themselves. But seems depending on Richardson's stock continuing to climb and what might happen at two and three they might angle at getting some draft capital back and still getting the QB they want
.Scott Fitterer just landed the top pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but there's a chance he and the Carolina Panthers may not stay in that spot. According to Joe Person of The Athletic, "they could potentially trade down" if they end up liking more than one quarterback.

Does this make sense?

Maybe. If there are only two quarterbacks you like, you can't go any further down than No. 2, in my opinion. If Houston is scared to death that Carolina is going to take the guy they want, then maybe you swap picks with them and get additional picks in return.

I don't see why Carolina would trade all they did to Chicago just to move back and get the third-best option at quarterback in this draft be it Will Levis or Anthony Richardson.

Now, if the Panthers brass somehow falls in love with Levis or Richardson and feels confident that they can trade down to No. 4 and still get him, then it makes sense. But to use Fitterer's words, "you have to have conviction." You're not just trading out the No. 1 overall pick just to do it and recoup some of the picks you lost. You have to do it having a level of confidence that you're not putting yourself out of position to landing the guy you want.

Over the course of the next month, some QB-needy team is going to want to make a move up to Arizona's spot at No. 3. This is exactly why trading down beyond No. 2 gets very risky.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... -no-1-pick

So you decide to go after a franchise QB in a draft unprecedented in value at the top. You pay a ton to go to the top ensuring you get first pick. As things play out you decide you could get the one you want lower than the first overall pick so you look to move down still getting the QB you want... stupid? If they could pull it off I don't think it be stupid, maybe more farfetched. Did they pay too much to begin with? I don't think that can be judged until it plays out, is the guy they get truly a franchise QB. They did pay a heck of a lot

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:41 pm

There are bears and bulls in any market. Markets can be overbought or underbought. And markets are bought either through emotional speculation by overbetting or by sound measureable and reasonable actions.

I'm not saying Carolina doesn't have a sound plan. I just question the price they are paying in this particular draft and I think they are too now. I doubt any of these 4 QB's are slated to be Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers. There's lots of potential in the 4 QBs and this is why all 4 will go very early. But I don't think any team in the top 4 or 5 are going to overpay with picks to jump into the #1 seat for any of these guys. Additionally, I think the interest by teams 2-5 has already been farreted out when the Bears held #1

Carolina wants people to think they have to cards to play a cerebral game, but they don't. If they moved down by swapping with Houston they might get a couple 3rd round picks. But this would just make the Panther's look more inept. It seems further speculative for them if they try to move below #2 given the haul they gave up to the Bears and exposing themselves to the risk in losing their actual first choice at QB.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:51 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:41 pm

Carolina wants people to think they have to cards to play a cerebral game, but they don't. If they moved down by swapping with Houston they might get a couple 3rd round picks. But this would just make the Panther's look more inept. It seems further speculative for them if they try to move below #2 given the haul they gave up to the Bears and exposing themselves to the risk in losing their actual first choice at QB.
To make this move look good? They have to take Stroud at 1 and he has to be an ass kicker. Otherwise? They sold the farm for a project, or a smaller version of Tua.