Carolina trades for #1 overall

Bil522

Re: Carolina trades for #1 overall

Post by Bil522 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:01 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:19 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:01 pm
there is no way Carolina gives up that much unless they are 100% in love with somebody, and probably means they think Houston is in love with the same guy. If they are now trying to trade back, they are really, really stupid.
They... are... screwed. Even if a team such as the Colts offered the Panthers future 1st and a 2nd rounders to swap top picks (which would be a load of value for the Colts to forfeit) the Panthers would still look ugly. Because they would've basically given up a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and a top WR to move from #9 to #4, a 450 point draft value jump (basically 2nd round value).

The Panthers are delusional to think there's another team out there dumber than they are.
You forget Carolina also got rid of $21mill off the salary cap this year when da Bears took Moore. So if Carolina does trade out of #1 they don't necessarily need to recover more draft capital to win the trade down

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:17 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:30 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:01 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:03 pm
ESPN reporting that Carolina is "all in" on Richardson. Man, this is the most interesting draft ever. Just no telling how it'll break for us.
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this one. Did u read a fake tweet somewhere? Do u have a link? Where did you hear this?

Because I've heard Todd McShay say he thinks they are targeting Bryce weYoung.
it was from Matt Miller of ESPN, reported on NFL Rumors. I don't know how legit it is, but in fairness at this point there's no way to tell how legit ANY reports are. Just posting what I read, point being there's all KINDS of ways this could break, and it will be very interesting.
There is this, gives them time to focus on the four qbs, depending on how that goes they could trade down a spot or two
.That’s what MMQB senior NFL reporter Albert Breer believes. During his appearance on Monday’s episode of The Dan Patrick Show, Breer said the Panthers were aggressive in trading up to the No. 1 overall pick because they’re comfortable, to this point, with at least two of the class’ top quarterback prospects.

“This allows the Panthers to look at all four guys,” he stated. “My understanding is that they’re really comfortable with two of them. And now they’re gonna see if they can add a third to that group—which could influence maybe a trade back down a spot or two. But one way or the other, they feel like they control the board right now . . . “

So, who does he feel those two guys are? Host Dan Patrick then asked Breer precisely that.

“I don’t know this for a fact,” he replied. “My guess would be the the two would be Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. And I think there’s interest in [Will] Levis, I think there’s interest in Anthony Richardson. I think they’re gonna see whether or not—over the next six weeks and sitting down and talking with these kids and watching them throw live and all that.

“And I’d expect they’re gonna have a big contingent—that goes out and sees CJ Stroud throw live in Columbus, and see Will Levis throw live in Lexington and Anthony Richardson in Gainesville and Bryce Young in Tuscaloosa. They’re gonna see if there’s a third guy good enough to join that group.”

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:56 pm

I have a hard time seeing them give up what they gave up to move to first over all, if there are two or three guys they love. They are playing games. They have ONE guy...otherwise, why sell the farm for the first over all?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Because one of those guys is going first overall. By trading up they control the board, they get to decide who it is.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:00 pm
Because one of those guys is going first overall. By trading up they control the board, they get to decide who it is.
Huh? If you are in love with three guys, you don't pay a King's Ransom for #1. You would be fine with #3. What the fuck good is having control of which one goes one? You not only pay more in salary foe #1, you give up more in trade. They like one guy, otherwise? It makes no sense.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:34 am

Supposedly it's two guys, what he is saying is over the next month if they decide it's three, and the third we are assuming is Richardson they could be interested to trade back to three

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:12 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:34 am
Supposedly it's two guys, what he is saying is over the next month if they decide it's three, and the third we are assuming is Richardson they could be interested to trade back to three
I guess, but I sure doubt they get the same haul to move back down. Especially if over this time it seems that there are three guys that could go at one. Again, I don't think they made this move with the thought that at some point in time there are going to be three or more guys worthy of the 1st overall pick.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:00 pm

I don't think it be about trying to get the same haul. It wouldn't be worth that. It's seen as a special draft, top heavy in uber QB prospects. They were willing to pay that to have first choice. You don't want to believe they felt there could be three okay, that's supposedly what they are saying.. If so, they could still wheel and deal, grab something and move again, think it's a relatively minor angle really
Last edited by Donn Beach on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:00 pm
I don't think it be about trying to get the same haul. It wouldn't be worth that. It's seen as a special draft, top heavy in uber QB prospects. They were willing to pay that to have first choice. You don't want to believe they felt there could be three okay, that's supposedly what they are saying.. If so, they could still wheel and deal, grab something and move again, think it's a relatively minor angle really
You are talking in circles. Sorry, again, there is no value in trading all the way to #1 if you have two or three players you feel are worth that pick. You then say maybe they trade back, but understand they won't gain the same value they gave up? Wow, great move then.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:09 pm

I'm not saying it Breers is saying it. That's how I read that
“This allows the Panthers to look at all four guys,” he stated. “My understanding is that they’re really comfortable with two of them. And now they’re gonna see if they can add a third to that group—which could influence maybe a trade back down a spot or two. But one way or the other, they feel like they control the board right now . . .

“I don’t know this for a fact,” he replied. “My guess would be the the two would be Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. And I think there’s interest in [Will] Levis, I think there’s interest in Anthony Richardson. I think they’re gonna see whether or not—over the next six weeks and sitting down and talking with these kids and watching them throw live and all that.

“And I’d expect they’re gonna have a big contingent—that goes out and sees CJ Stroud throw live in Columbus, and see Will Levis throw live in Lexington and Anthony Richardson in Gainesville and Bryce Young in Tuscaloosa. They’re gonna see if there’s a third guy good enough to join that group