Free Agency thread

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Free Agency thread

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:13 am

People are suggesting the Seahawks won’t draft a quarterback after signing Drew Lock but I’m not sure why. The whole point has been to set up a ‘redshirt’ year. That means sitting the quarterback, letting them learn and prepare to start in the future. If you make your redshirt quarterback the backup, what happens if Geno Smith gets hurt in week one? You’re suddenly ripping up the entire plan and starting the rookie.

That would be malpractice. You’re either redshirting or you’re not. If Anthony Richardson is the quarterback most likely to be their at #5 — and I believe he is — then you don’t want him anywhere near the field in 2023. That means you need a backup QB. The Seahawks signed a backup, Drew Lock, for one season. The only thing that would’ve changed the situation would’ve been a multi-year deal for Lock.

It’s also a hedge against the draft. If you don’t draft a QB, you’ll need a backup. The Lock signing was both important and necessary.

There remains a lot of hand-wringing about the QB’s, specifically with Richardson and Will Levis. I’ll keep saying it — if you had to make a ‘typical John Schneider quarterback class’ — it would look like this one. Big, strong, prototypical downfield throwers with extreme physical talent. High character. Athletic.

The one player who doesn’t fit that description is still incredibly creative, plays like a point guard, has a natural talent, has big hands for his size and had a decorated college career. Sounds familiar.

I think John Schneider will be completely sold on Stroud, Young and Levis. The only question mark will be Richardson — simply due to his inexperience. However, the physical talent more than makes up for that. Josh Allen had a stunning pro-day performance — the best I’ve ever watched. If Richardson can do something similar on March 30th, I suspect he will join the other three in the mind of Seattle’s GM.

In that scenario — the Seahawks can’t lose. If someone trades into the #3 spot and Will Anderson lasts to five, they’ll be very happy. If Arizona sticks at #3 and it means a quarterback lasts to five, I think the Seahawks will also be very happy.

If the Cardinals pull off a surprise and take Tyree Wilson at #3, I think the Seahawks would select Anderson over Richardson. He’s not a ‘special’ defender in the mould of a Bosa brother or Myles Garrett but his incredible character, production, talent and scheme fit will make for a worthy addition.

This is why you approach free agency the way they have — to cover all bases, all eventualities, to hedge against the board going against you in certain ways. It feels like the Seahawks have executed their plan perfectly so far.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:43 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:13 am
People are suggesting the Seahawks won’t draft a quarterback after signing Drew Lock but I’m not sure why. The whole point has been to set up a ‘redshirt’ year. That means sitting the quarterback, letting them learn and prepare to start in the future. If you make your redshirt quarterback the backup, what happens if Geno Smith gets hurt in week one? You’re suddenly ripping up the entire plan and starting the rookie.

That would be malpractice. You’re either redshirting or you’re not. If Anthony Richardson is the quarterback most likely to be their at #5 — and I believe he is — then you don’t want him anywhere near the field in 2023. That means you need a backup QB. The Seahawks signed a backup, Drew Lock, for one season. The only thing that would’ve changed the situation would’ve been a multi-year deal for Lock.

It’s also a hedge against the draft. If you don’t draft a QB, you’ll need a backup. The Lock signing was both important and necessary.

There remains a lot of hand-wringing about the QB’s, specifically with Richardson and Will Levis. I’ll keep saying it — if you had to make a ‘typical John Schneider quarterback class’ — it would look like this one. Big, strong, prototypical downfield throwers with extreme physical talent. High character. Athletic.

The one player who doesn’t fit that description is still incredibly creative, plays like a point guard, has a natural talent, has big hands for his size and had a decorated college career. Sounds familiar.

I think John Schneider will be completely sold on Stroud, Young and Levis. The only question mark will be Richardson — simply due to his inexperience. However, the physical talent more than makes up for that. Josh Allen had a stunning pro-day performance — the best I’ve ever watched. If Richardson can do something similar on March 30th, I suspect he will join the other three in the mind of Seattle’s GM.

In that scenario — the Seahawks can’t lose. If someone trades into the #3 spot and Will Anderson lasts to five, they’ll be very happy. If Arizona sticks at #3 and it means a quarterback lasts to five, I think the Seahawks will also be very happy.

If the Cardinals pull off a surprise and take Tyree Wilson at #3, I think the Seahawks would select Anderson over Richardson. He’s not a ‘special’ defender in the mould of a Bosa brother or Myles Garrett but his incredible character, production, talent and scheme fit will make for a worthy addition.

This is why you approach free agency the way they have — to cover all bases, all eventualities, to hedge against the board going against you in certain ways. It feels like the Seahawks have executed their plan perfectly so far.
Exactly.
only part i'm unsure of is whether they take Anderson over QB4 if both are on the board at 5.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:47 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:43 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Exactly.
only part i'm unsure of is whether they take Anderson over QB4 if both are on the board at 5.
I'd prefer Richardson, but if Anderson is all that's left, then I'd be fine with it. However, I think Seattle might be too tempted to take Will Anderson. He's an A+ in the locker room. A culture setter, and perfect fit for their current defense. It'd be hard for them to pass up on him.
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:51 pm

What they are going to do trade down and it's going to drive you nuts

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:51 pm
Likewise when they select a QB at 5! You're going to freak out. :lol:

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:54 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Well said. Seattle could hardly be better positioned entering the draft now. Impressive off season - and maximum flexibility entering the draft. C0uld not have gone any better (except on here, PC/JS suck no matter what, so there's that... lol)

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:58 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I won't freak out, I'll be curious what the plan will be...Actually even funnier is Anderson and Richardson are going to be there and they will choose Tyree Wilson

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:58 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I won't freak out, I'll be curious what the plan will be...Actually even funnier is Anderson and Richardson are going to be there and they will choose Tyree Wilson
With their current defense and QB situation, it screams Anderson and 1 of the 4 QB's at 5. Just to throw up random names just for the sake of trying to derail this conversation is like, we might as well take a punter at 5. I trust Schneider and Carroll's process.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:12 pm

To "redshirt" your number five pick is one thing. To sign another guy to make the number five pick a third QB? Not the same thing.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:58 pm

if they don't trade back (which I'm 75% sure they will if their defensive lineman of choice isn't there), I honestly think they'll shock all of us and take a CB or WR.

Also, I WILL freak out if it's Richardson. It'd just be such a ridiculous waste of a #5 pick. If Stroud fell, fuck yeah snatch him up. If it's Levis... meh, maybe I can see the thought process, but the only way Richardson sees the field is as some gimmicky wildcat guy like Taysom Hill (he'd actually be awesome in that role), but that just isn't a Pete Carroll kind of thing.

I'm hedging my bets because I know PC/JS have a plan, and even if I don't understand it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but QB at 5 just doesn't make sense.