Free Agency thread

Michael K.

Re: Free Agency thread

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:08 pm

57reasons wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:52 pm

Right, if you're taking QB at 5 it's not about this year as much as the future. But that is generally true of all drafts, whereas free agency is usually more about the immediate season.
So, I guess the next question is, does Anthony Richardson make you a better team in year two or three, then someone else they could get and worry about QB later? Next year's draft has a few good ones as well. I just don't see the advantage to adding Richardson, who IMO, best case scenario? Is ready to start in year two and be good MAYBE in year three. The kid is very raw. As SH says, this team doesn't rebuild, it retools. Having a 3rd Qb that Redshirts this year, on a team that was 9 and 8 last year, and is more than likely a BAD starter in year two?

If they can get a No Brainer? Sure, it would make more sense. But to be honest? I am not sure anyone but Stroud is a No Brainer.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:36 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:08 pm
57reasons wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:52 pm

Right, if you're taking QB at 5 it's not about this year as much as the future. But that is generally true of all drafts, whereas free agency is usually more about the immediate season.
So, I guess the next question is, does Anthony Richardson make you a better team in year two or three, then someone else they could get and worry about QB later? Next year's draft has a few good ones as well. I just don't see the advantage to adding Richardson, who IMO, best case scenario? Is ready to start in year two and be good MAYBE in year three. The kid is very raw. As SH says, this team doesn't rebuild, it retools. Having a 3rd Qb that Redshirts this year, on a team that was 9 and 8 last year, and is more than likely a BAD starter in year two?

If they can get a No Brainer? Sure, it would make more sense. But to be honest? I am not sure anyone but Stroud is a No Brainer.
Yeah, something just doesn't add up for me with that scenario. If they were rebuilding perhaps, with a much younger HC. Why would PCJS be focused two or three seasons in the future? The time is now, particularly for Pete

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:36 pm

Yeah, something just doesn't add up for me with that scenario. If they were rebuilding perhaps, with a much younger HC. Why would PCJS be focused two or three seasons in the future? The time is now, particularly for Pete
YES!! exactly this. How long do you all think Pete is planning on sticking around? You think he's planning for 5 years from now? Anthony Richardson is a project who has no chance of being a good QB in the next two years. Unless they're implementing a new two-QB offense, the whole "QB of the future" idea just doesn't make sense. If they draft a QB, it's a QB for now(ish).

Cascade Kid

Re:

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:19 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:32 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

YES!! exactly this. How long do you all think Pete is planning on sticking around? You think he's planning for 5 years from now? Anthony Richardson is a project who has no chance of being a good QB in the next two years. Unless they're implementing a new two-QB offense, the whole "QB of the future" idea just doesn't make sense. If they draft a QB, it's a QB for now(ish).
I think Pete answered this question when he traded away Wilson for a bunch of draft picks. Anyway, this is Jody Allen's team ultimately, not Pete Carroll's. Pete and John have to answer to Jody about their decisions at the end of every year. Do you think Pete is going to tell Jody that they are not going to draft QB because he's old and doesn't have time to win with different personnel? John is likely the responsible party post Pete era, and he's there on this decision too.

SeattleAddict

Re: Re:

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:52 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:19 am

I think Pete answered this question when he traded away Wilson for a bunch of draft picks. Anyway, this is Jody Allen's team ultimately, not Pete Carroll's. Pete and John have to answer to Jody about their decisions at the end of every year. Do you think Pete is going to tell Jody that they are not going to draft QB because he's old and doesn't have time to win with different personnel? John is likely the responsible party post Pete era, and he's there on this decision too.
What and what???

Pete showed that he believes his system functions without a franchise QB, just needs a QB that buys in. This is the opposite of what somebody like Richardson would be. Stroud or Young would probably fit, I'm not sure about Levis. This is why I believe he'll take a shot at a late round QB, but not waste the #5 pick.

And Jody Allen doesn't meddle with football decisions. What in the name of all that is holy would make you think she'd have an issue with them not taking a QB? That doesn't even make sense.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:47 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:52 am
Cascade Kid wrote:

What and what???

Pete showed that he believes his system functions without a franchise QB, just needs a QB that buys in. This is the opposite of what somebody like Richardson would be. Stroud or Young would probably fit, I'm not sure about Levis. This is why I believe he'll take a shot at a late round QB, but not waste the #5 pick.

And Jody Allen doesn't meddle with football decisions. What in the name of all that is holy would make you think she'd have an issue with them not taking a QB? That doesn't even make sense.
He's also stated that picking #5 is a unique opportunity that they've never experienced so everything is in play.

It's Jody's team and the buck stops with her. And I'm not debating the virtues of taking QB or not, there are some great opportunities at #5. I'm debating the hogwash about Pete limiting himself because he's not up for rebuilding at this stage in his career, which drafting Richardson would not since he would be playing a year or two behind Geno.

This isn't all about Pete, it's about a program. There's still a GM with a future and a team owner that wouldn't let this kind of philosphy slide. You do know John, Pete and Jody do meet at the end of the season, right? They discuss how the team is doing and how it will proceed forward.

To remember, Geno was a backup that provided surprising results backed by an undesireable history. His contract and Lock's contract does not by any means scream "secured for the long term". Hell, Lock was completely exposed to the FA market as an unrestricted FA. That doesn't tell me that Pete and John see him as the future either.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

Actually they replaced RW with a veteran QB they just signed to an extension. Jody doesn't own the team, it's in an estate and eventually will be sold

On the eventual sale, I agree, let's focus on winning
. She closed out the statement saying, “Until then, my focus – and that of our teams – is on winning.”

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:31 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:

Actually they replaced RW with a veteran QB they just signed to an extension. Jody doesn't own the team, it's in an estate and eventually will be sold

On the eventual sale, I agree, let's focus on winning
. She closed out the statement saying, “Until then, my focus – and that of our teams – is on winning.”
Jody is the freakin Chair of the Seahawks. She is precisely the top decision-maker for the team and its direction. She can fire everyone and can't be fired.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:59 am

Which has nothing to do with some long term interest in roster construction. Really, no idea what any of them might think other than they have never really been very patient.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:45 pm

Marquise Goodwin to the Browns. I thought he played well as a WR3, and we REALLY need help at WR3 so was hoping we'd get him back.