Welcome Dremont Jones

SeattleAddict

Re: Welcome Dremont Jones

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 am

This definitely takes us out of the running for the Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson sweepstakes. Will Anderson paired with Jones however would be amazing!
I don't understand this. I think it takes us out of the Tyree Wilson/Myles Murphy discussion, but Jalen Carter would pair up perfectly with Jones. Jones is very similar to Michael Bennett - can be played all along the line but is not a true NT and is best lined up against a tackle. Jalen Carter is more of an inside guy, though also flexible where he can line up.

In my opinion, this indicates we are definitely going after Carter or Bresee, depending how it all falls together.

If somehow Anderson falls to us, that'd be too much to resist. I would think we then trade Taylor, though. How we going to rotate Anderson, Taylor and Mafe? That's two 2nd rounders and a #5 overall in the past 3 years all playing the same position.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:58 pm

maoling wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:06 pm
I replied to the Top Billin' channel for the first time last night, only to be met with with derogatory innuendos about race.

What happened? Sometimes he mocks white guys and calls them Cletus if he doesn't like their opinions.
That's a sad lense to live a life looking through.

I mentioned Hendon Hooker being a dual-threat and it looks to have offended is mind somehow. Maybe he doesn't know what the definition of "dual-threat" is. So he went on a rant about Hooker not being a dual-threat but a pocket passer, yet he says he's a pass first QB and can use his legs. He really just gave the short definition of a dual-threat QB. But he had to bring skin color in his lame arguement.

Statistically Hendon Hooker rushes more times than Anthony Richardson, and throws the ball very well. He's not considered a mobile QB at this point, he is most definitely a dual-threat QB and would likely have some read options plays at his disposal in the NFL. But my arguement was Hooker's age, and it would be in Hooker's best interest to find a team that can plug him in now and not wait anymore. Hendon's legs are not getting any younger and the production his legs will produce will give him more opportunity to make even more money than his arm alone.

I'll share a little something about myself, I'm a Executive VP of the board for the most diversified radio station here in Seattle. I work hard to make sure our station is inclusive to anyone that is interested in being a part of it. Hell, I just hired a new program director that is black and comes from a country music background out of Detroit to run our dance music station. However, I didn't hire him because he was black or for his country music background or that he's from Detroit. I hired him because he knew how to get things done and buys into the goals of the station. You never know what great thinking and creative ideas look like till you make an effort to find it.

I'm not a political activist by any means, but it is important to recognize that we are all human and are capable of simple agree/disagree. It's people like Top Billin' that provide the constant wedge keeping people and ideas apart, thus making 'diversity' impossible to obtain organically. But with that said, he can be whomever he'd like to be, but it should be known who he is.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:04 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:

He was #1 on my big board as far as DL free agent signings go. I just didn't think we had a shot at him due to cap space! This definitely takes us out of the running for the Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson sweepstakes. Will Anderson paired with Jones however would be amazing! I still would go AR15 before Anderson though, but I'd be happy either way. It's like 1A) or 1B) for me.
Image a 3-4 line with Jones, Carter, and Ika. Ika the anchor taking on doubles so the ILBs can crash the open gap. Jones and Carter applying a combination of pressure again both the pass and the run. I wouldn't take Calijah Kancey off the board yet either because if Carter isn't picked early Kancey would be a great pickup in the late 1st.

I like that Jones can play out on the 5. Combo this speed and power with an OLB that lines up at the wide 9 and a SS playing up, this would be an absolute nightmare for an OT.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:32 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

This definitely takes us out of the running for the Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson sweepstakes. Will Anderson paired with Jones however would be amazing!
I don't understand this. I think it takes us out of the Tyree Wilson/Myles Murphy discussion, but Jalen Carter would pair up perfectly with Jones. Jones is very similar to Michael Bennett - can be played all along the line but is not a true NT and is best lined up against a tackle. Jalen Carter is more of an inside guy, though also flexible where he can line up.

In my opinion, this indicates we are definitely going after Carter or Bresee, depending how it all falls together.

If somehow Anderson falls to us, that'd be too much to resist. I would think we then trade Taylor, though. How we going to rotate Anderson, Taylor and Mafe? That's two 2nd rounders and a #5 overall in the past 3 years all playing the same position.
No he doesn't! Not in a 3-4 defense!! Y'all this isn't 2013. It's 2023. We run a 3-4. Carter is not the size you want to play in the edge for outside LB. And furthermore this signing just emphasizes even more that Seattle isn't going into the draft looking for a high pick at a position they just filled in free agency. Anderson is the PERFECT mold for this defense with an A+ character grade. He's a culture setter in the lockerroom. This isn't even close to Jalen Carter. You're gonna be so disappointed on draft day when his name isn't on the card. I promise you Jalen Carter isn't going at #5 to the Seahawks. And furthermore Carter is not the type of character that Seattle wants in the lockerroom. Y'all just dismiss it like "character is subjective" is such a weak ass argument. Word on the street is what it is. This kid's a cancer!

Jarran Reed is the kind of piece Seattle needs to go with Dre’Mont Jones as they fix this defensive front. Now they have Reed, Jones and Al Woods. They could draft someone in rounds 2-4. I think Reed and Jones will be snap-eaters. Reed has always been in the high 60’s/mid 70’s in percentage of snaps and Jones played 81% last year. Nobody on the Seahawks DL was even close. Reed started at 1-T in the old 4-3 defense but then started playing 3T the last few years before his exit from the team. So he has enough stout and length to be a 3-4 DE. He played base DE in Green Bay last year in their 3-4 scheme and played well. The Packer fans really wanted him back.

That may allow them to work in a Myles Adams or even a Jarod Hewitt around Draft Pick and Al Woods.

If Arizona trades down and 4 QB's go before Seattle then you take Anderson. Easy-peasy! Either way — this is the kind of start Seattle needed to free agency. It’s also indicative of a team who I continue to think are likely to do one of two things at #5 — draft Will Anderson or one of the top-four quarterbacks. They’re focusing their intention on big-bodied defenders in free agency, which to me is telling.

This also reduces the possibility the Seahawks bring back Shelby Harris at a much lesser salary.

Secondly, I think whatever happens it’s clear they’re drafting Wypler or JMS

They might add a dirt cheap veteran center just for depth.

Also, Tony Pauline teasing out some big news tomorrow :lol:

Wagner?! Lol more likely a piece of draft news.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230314_185320_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20230314_185320_Twitter.jpg (169.92 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:33 am, edited 12 times in total.

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:37 pm

That's a sad lense to live a life looking through.

I mentioned Hendon Hooker being a dual-threat and it looks to have offended is mind somehow...

It's really not mocking white guys per se; it's just that he mocks Seahawks' fans and calls us Cletus when he gets annoyed lol, like we are fan boy hicks.

Don't know why you guys crossed wires. I think he is hilarious, and his recent video is all about what a good fit Hendon Hooker would be for the Hawks. I hope he is available in the second or third round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJTPJ2qlQI

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:26 am

Joe Fanny on the signing, interesting PFF doesn't rate Jones that highly but still seem to like the signing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.myn ... jones/amp/

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am

I don't understand why we wouldn't take Carter with #5. You can never have too many D-Linemen. Especially if you have the chance to get an impact DT to go along with Jones! And Carter, being a rookie, wouldn't cost us all that much considering we have enough room. And perhaps, just perhaps, we go back to a 4-3 front. But even with a 3-4, having two stud DT's is a luxury! Want to compete with the Niners? How better to do it?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:18 am

ddraig wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am
I don't understand why we wouldn't take Carter with #5. You can never have too many D-Linemen. Especially if you have the chance to get an impact DT to go along with Jones! And Carter, being a rookie, wouldn't cost us all that much considering we have enough room. And perhaps, just perhaps, we go back to a 4-3 front. But even with a 3-4, having two stud DT's is a luxury! Want to compete with the Niners? How better to do it?
If they do end up going back to a 4-3 then this is a completely different conversation.. But as I stated before, Pete Carroll and John Schneider have emphasized character in the locker room. You can't tell me that Seattle would go this heavy at DT in free agency to then turn around and draft a rookie that isn't going to get any snaps and competing day one for his job. No, that's a waste of resources. Schneider and Carroll knew that they had to address this position early and hard before April because the DT position come draft day, is razor thin. They obviously have done their research on Carter. Why else do you commit this much capital to the position. Especially when you know there's a very high chance that Carter will be their on the board at 5. Character cannot be dismissed or taken for granted.

There is literally no other outlet to enjoy the offseason because the overarching narrative is Geno is the quarterback for next 10 years because he has played so well, and our defense is bad and Carter will fix it. I don’t know how you even watch his tape and see something generational. If people even mention taking a quarterback at 5, or even trading up, they immediately start chanting “shun! shun!”

Chsnging topics, I noticed a few days ago that the NFL just made 2 positive decisions for us regarding the draft. The criteria was met in the Steelers trade for Ahkello Witherspoon a couple years ago so we get an extra 5th rd. pick.

And we didn’t play or keep CB John Reid from the Texans long enough a year or more ago to have to send them a 7th round pick. So now we do have 2 5th rounders and a 7th, when a week ago we didn’t have a 7th and only one 5th rounder. Great news!

So now we have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, 1 #3, 1 #4, 2 #5s, 1 #6 and 1#7. That’s a total of 10 picks. Gives JS some more options to move up either day 2 or early day 3 for a high rated player that fell, or just fill out the roster more to cut players like JA and others after June 1.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:10 am

ddraig wrote:
With his current issues I don't believe he is worth the fifth pick, I'd trade down if I wanted to take him. But then what do I know. It's gonna be interesting where he goes

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:15 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:18 am
ddraig wrote:
If they do end up going back to a 4-3 then this is a completely different conversation.. But as I stated before, Pete Carroll and John Schneider have emphasized character in the locker room. You can't tell me that Seattle would go this heavy at DT in free agency to then turn around and draft a rookie that isn't going to get any snaps and competing day one for his job. No, that's a waste of resources. Schneider and Carroll knew that they had to address this position early and hard before April because the DT position come draft day, is razor thin. They obviously have done their research on Carter. Why else do you commit this much capital to the position. Especially when you know there's a very high chance that Carter will be their on the board at 5. Character cannot be dismissed or taken for granted.

There is literally no other outlet to enjoy the offseason because the overarching narrative is Geno is the quarterback for next 10 years because he has played so well, and our defense is bad and Carter will fix it. I don’t know how you even watch his tape and see something generational. If people even mention taking a quarterback at 5, or even trading up, they immediately start chanting “shun! shun!”

Chsnging topics, I noticed a few days ago that the NFL just made 2 positive decisions for us regarding the draft. The criteria was met in the Steelers trade for Ahkello Witherspoon a couple years ago so we get an extra 5th rd. pick.

And we didn’t play or keep CB John Reid from the Texans long enough a year or more ago to have to send them a 7th round pick. So now we do have 2 5th rounders and a 7th, when a week ago we didn’t have a 7th and only one 5th rounder. Great news!

So now we have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, 1 #3, 1 #4, 2 #5s, 1 #6 and 1#7. That’s a total of 10 picks. Gives JS some more options to move up either day 2 or early day 3 for a high rated player that fell, or just fill out the roster more to cut players like JA and others after June 1.
First, there isn't a hard and fast either 3-4 or 4-3 in the first place is there?

In terms of Carter, depends on how you define character I think. Really, it's not like he beat his gf or something.