Welcome Dremont Jones

Donn Beach

Re: Welcome Dremont Jones

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:15 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:18 am
ddraig wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 am
I don't understand why we wouldn't take Carter with #5. You can never have too many D-Linemen. Especially if you have the chance to get an impact DT to go along with Jones! And Carter, being a rookie, wouldn't cost us all that much considering we have enough room. And perhaps, just perhaps, we go back to a 4-3 front. But even with a 3-4, having two stud DT's is a luxury! Want to compete with the Niners? How better to do it?
If they do end up going back to a 4-3 then this is a completely different conversation.. But as I stated before, Pete Carroll and John Schneider have emphasized character in the locker room. You can't tell me that Seattle would go this heavy at DT in free agency to then turn around and draft a rookie that isn't going to get any snaps and competing day one for his job. No, that's a waste of resources. Schneider and Carroll knew that they had to address this position early and hard before April because the DT position come draft day, is razor thin. They obviously have done their research on Carter. Why else do you commit this much capital to the position. Especially when you know there's a very high chance that Carter will be their on the board at 5. Character cannot be dismissed or taken for granted.

There is literally no other outlet to enjoy the offseason because the overarching narrative is Geno is the quarterback for next 10 years because he has played so well, and our defense is bad and Carter will fix it. I don’t know how you even watch his tape and see something generational. If people even mention taking a quarterback at 5, or even trading up, they immediately start chanting “shun! shun!”

Chsnging topics, I noticed a few days ago that the NFL just made 2 positive decisions for us regarding the draft. The criteria was met in the Steelers trade for Ahkello Witherspoon a couple years ago so we get an extra 5th rd. pick.

And we didn’t play or keep CB John Reid from the Texans long enough a year or more ago to have to send them a 7th round pick. So now we do have 2 5th rounders and a 7th, when a week ago we didn’t have a 7th and only one 5th rounder. Great news!

So now we have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, 1 #3, 1 #4, 2 #5s, 1 #6 and 1#7. That’s a total of 10 picks. Gives JS some more options to move up either day 2 or early day 3 for a high rated player that fell, or just fill out the roster more to cut players like JA and others after June 1.
First, there isn't a hard and fast either 3-4 or 4-3 in the first place is there?

In terms of Carter, depends on how you define character I think. Really, it's not like he beat his gf or something.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:52 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:15 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
ddraig wrote:
I don't understand why we wouldn't take Carter with #5. You can never have too many D-Linemen. Especially if you have the chance to get an impact DT to go along with Jones! And Carter, being a rookie, wouldn't cost us all that much considering we have enough room. And perhaps, just perhaps, we go back to a 4-3 front. But even with a 3-4, having two stud DT's is a luxury! Want to compete with the Niners? How better to do it?
If they do end up going back to a 4-3 then this is a completely different conversation.. But as I stated before, Pete Carroll and John Schneider have emphasized character in the locker room. You can't tell me that Seattle would go this heavy at DT in free agency to then turn around and draft a rookie that isn't going to get any snaps and competing day one for his job. No, that's a waste of resources. Schneider and Carroll knew that they had to address this position early and hard before April because the DT position come draft day, is razor thin. They obviously have done their research on Carter. Why else do you commit this much capital to the position. Especially when you know there's a very high chance that Carter will be their on the board at 5. Character cannot be dismissed or taken for granted.

There is literally no other outlet to enjoy the offseason because the overarching narrative is Geno is the quarterback for next 10 years because he has played so well, and our defense is bad and Carter will fix it. I don’t know how you even watch his tape and see something generational. If people even mention taking a quarterback at 5, or even trading up, they immediately start chanting “shun! shun!”

Chsnging topics, I noticed a few days ago that the NFL just made 2 positive decisions for us regarding the draft. The criteria was met in the Steelers trade for Ahkello Witherspoon a couple years ago so we get an extra 5th rd. pick.

And we didn’t play or keep CB John Reid from the Texans long enough a year or more ago to have to send them a 7th round pick. So now we do have 2 5th rounders and a 7th, when a week ago we didn’t have a 7th and only one 5th rounder. Great news!

So now we have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, 1 #3, 1 #4, 2 #5s, 1 #6 and 1#7. That’s a total of 10 picks. Gives JS some more options to move up either day 2 or early day 3 for a high rated player that fell, or just fill out the roster more to cut players like JA and others after June 1.
First, there isn't a hard and fast either 3-4 or 4-3 in the first place is there?

In terms of Carter, depends on how you define character I think. Really, it's not like he beat his gf or something.
Schneider and Carroll have pretty much already defined it for us in my opinion, by going out and signing Jones and Reed. If that weren't enough then I don't know what is. You can't just sit there in front of the media and preach high character when multiple teams and scouts around the league are shouting Warning! Warning! The fact that we're even discussing him at #5 is just absurd to me. And for the record, I believe in second chances, but not when it comes to picking in the Top 5.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:26 pm

ddraig wrote:
I think it is a numbers game. Sure, you can never have enough D Lineman, look at the Niners. BUT, they said they want to move Ford back inside. Do you sign two Free Agent interior lineman, move one of your DEs inside, potentially bring back Harris AND draft someone inside with the number 5 pick?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Donn Beach wrote:

Yesterday, Salk mentioned rumors that Carter's issues are also about his desire to play and "want to". No thanks. Sounds like McDowell. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. This is the fucking NFL. Carter aint just showing up, going through the motions and being a Pro Bowler. A lot was made of his lack of stats, he plays inside, just doing his job inside the system. Well, he played in the SEC. Maybe his stats weren't there because he was taking snaps off?

I am pretty sure Salk mentioning it was the first time I ever heard it. I didn't find much on Google either. Just "character issues". This article was from December. Long before the recent issues with speeding and racing.
Jalen Carter is one of Georgia’s most important players on either side of the ball, and it’s almost a given that the dominant defensive lineman will opt to forego his remaining collegiate eligibility once the Bulldogs’ College Football Playoff run ends. If he has his way, that run will come to a close on Jan. 9 and with his team celebrating a 2nd straight national championship.

While Carter will certainly be a 1st-round draft choice, some comments Todd McShay said on a recent ESPN broadcast raised some eyebrows.

“With Carter, there are some character issues, does he get along with everybody? What’s he like to deal with in the locker room? Those sorts of issues,” McShay said.

Those comments were met with swift criticism from Carter’s teammates. Carter himself was asked about them during Thursday’s Peach Bowl media session.

“It really didn’t affect me,” he said. “I’m always a positive guy. I look at the positive side. I never look at the negative. I try to stay away from that, and when it came out, I didn’t really pay no mind to it. I just talked to my team and told them, ‘Let’s keep going’.”

While those kinds of comments would have eaten at a number of student-athletes, that wasn’t the case for Carter.

“I didn’t take a minute to let go of [it]. I really let it go as soon as I first heard it, and I just kept moving on. I told my teammates, ‘Let’s do it. Let’s just go to the (Playoff) and ball out’,” he said.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:07 pm

Michael, you must be happy. Penny's gone to PHI. :D

And Homer signed with the Bears.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:44 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 am
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:47 am
I read 3/51... but regardless, looks like a good pickup. A rare pass-rushing DT.

He should play Shelby Harris' position - is he THAT much of an upgrade?? I don't follow DTs enough to know more than what I am reading online.
He was #1 on my big board as far as DL free agent signings go. I just didn't think we had a shot at him due to cap space! This definitely takes us out of the running for the Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson sweepstakes. Will Anderson paired with Jones however would be amazing! I still would go AR15 before Anderson though, but I'd be happy either way. It's like 1A) or 1B) for me.
Why draft a guy top 5 you know is not gonna play for quite a while. Trade down as far as you can. Somebody will want Carter. Shit go crazy & take another LB.
You don't get top 5 picks very often. Pick a franchise guy if you have the chance. If the Hawks have 7 guys that are rated as franchise types get one.
If Jalen Carter is Cortez Kenedy, you grab that guy.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:08 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:52 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Schneider and Carroll have pretty much already defined it for us in my opinion, by going out and signing Jones and Reed. If that weren't enough then I don't know what is. You can't just sit there in front of the media and preach high character when multiple teams and scouts around the league are shouting Warning! Warning! The fact that we're even discussing him at #5 is just absurd to me. And for the record, I believe in second chances, but not when it comes to picking in the Top 5.

I agree they seemed to value character in the last draft in terms of avoiding "red flags", but when has JC preached it to the press?

Okay, JS discussing their draft approach. He uses "character" but the way he defines it here is more grit and toughness. That's what he says he needed to get back to.

. "We really focused on the person this year,” said Schneider. “People were talking about previous drafts — we have focused on the person obviously, the character, the grit, the things that you've heard and hear about all the time…

We had to get back to finding that level of toughness and grit and confidence.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcspo ... ects%3famp

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:33 am

Hoping & Praying Cards trade out of #3. They seriously need to. Their like full tank mode, especially if they unload DHop.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:50 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:07 pm
Michael, you must be happy. Penny's gone to PHI. :D

And Homer signed with the Bears.
I really believe that good teams draft runningbacks and bad teams pay them. I have posted RB salaries in here many times, and most often, the highest paid RBs don't play for playoff teams. Continue to draft them, and you will be fine. Their life span is generally right around the length of a rookie deal anyway! Todd Gurley went from the MVP of the league to a journey man basically right after he got paid. He is not the only cautionary tale either.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:44 am

You don't get top 5 picks very often. Pick a franchise guy if you have the chance. If the Hawks have 7 guys that are rated as franchise types get one.
If Jalen Carter is Cortez Kenedy, you grab that guy.
The desire to play and work ethic issues worry me. As Brock said on the show this morning, at that position? If you don't want to play, and you take plays off? Bad news. For every Warren Sapp I promise there are many more Albert Hainsworths. That is a HARD position to play. If you don't work hard? Then what?