Welcome Drew Lock

Michael K.

Re: Welcome Drew Lock

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:51 pm

Michael - it's for depth and for playing the long game. Rookie qb's rarely start and excel. the 9ers proved the desperate need for depth. You aren't considering the bigger picture strategically. A new QB can walk his way into the future startes role - not be shoved into it. how often does that work in the 2023 NFL?
Name the last top five draft pick that didn't play soon. Then, find the one that was third string. I'll wait.

How often does it work? Trevor Lawrence made the playoffs last year and Justin Fields was a Star on a bad team with nothing around him. Lawrence started from day one and Fields started as a rookie. Herbert and Burrow made the playoffs, both started as rookies from day one. Baker Mayfield took the Browns to the playoffs, won a game and nearly beat the Chiefs. Started from day one. Murray started from day one and took the Cards to the playoffs. Sorry, I don't have time to break them all down, but drafting a third QB with the fifth pick in the draft would absolutely be unprecedented.

Non of those guys spent much time if any on the bench. Most don't. 3rd string? Again, unprecedented.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:26 pm

7 teams made the playoffs in the AFC. The only QB that didn't start at some point if not all of his rookie year? Mahomes, and he sat one year. Good comp, but let's not act like the path to success is paved with high draft pick QBs that sat. There are only so many Pat Mahomes, and only so many teams that have a guy like Alex Smith. Very good comparison to the Seahawks, but a practice squad guy?

The NFC was a bit different last year, but the NFC Champion Eagles played a rookie QB from day one. The 49ers traded up for one a few years after trading for one. The Giants and Cowboys also had a QB that started some or all of his rookie year. The Seahawks had a guy that started day one, before becoming a nobody only to be reborn. Tom Brady is an enigma and Cousins is a rare example of a Free Agent that was paid money and paid off.

This thought process that QBs are drafted and brought along slow is false, sorry, it is. 3rd string with the fifth pick? Sure, it might work, but I think they have holes to fill for next year, and the fifth pick isn't one they are going to use on a backup to the backup.

Long story short? 14 playoff teams. 10 had QBs that started day one after being a first round draft pick. The others? Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, the 49ers and Pat Mahomes. So, again, when has it been successful? Gee, I don't know, last year?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:13 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:57 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:51 am
trharder wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:43 am
Seahawks elect to keep the same QB hand as last year.
It seems less likely we'd take a QB in the draft now.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1746335/ ... returning/

Why do people think signing a backup QB, to a one-year contract makes the signing of Lock look like a nail in the coffin for picking a QB in the draft?

With that rational, they should also be saying, “You can forget about them drafting a DT, since they just grabbed two in FA.”
Come on now. Are you obviously going to compare having multiple DTs that play in the same game to the amount of snaps more than one QB take? Take a good hard look at how many back up QBs actually take a snap each year, and how many teams carry three. Sure, they could have just signed a guy they plan on cutting after the draft, but I highly doubt it. Use the number 5 pick on a guy we plan on putting on the practice squad? Pay Lock for a year with the plan of cutting him? I don't agree.
You couldn't put him on the practice squad, another team could claim him

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:17 pm

You could always trade Drew Lock. Shit, Tua will have another concussion by week 3.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 pm
auroraave wrote:

Michael - it's for depth and for playing the long game. Rookie qb's rarely start and excel. the 9ers proved the desperate need for depth. You aren't considering the bigger picture strategically. A new QB can walk his way into the future startes role - not be shoved into it. how often does that work in the 2023 NFL?
Name the last top five draft pick that didn't play soon. Then, find the one that was third string. I'll wait.

How often does it work? Trevor Lawrence made the playoffs last year and Justin Fields was a Star on a bad team with nothing around him. Lawrence started from day one and Fields started as a rookie. Herbert and Burrow made the playoffs, both started as rookies from day one. Baker Mayfield took the Browns to the playoffs, won a game and nearly beat the Chiefs. Started from day one. Murray started from day one and took the Cards to the playoffs. Sorry, I don't have time to break them all down, but drafting a third QB with the fifth pick in the draft would absolutely be unprecedented.

Non of those guys spent much time if any on the bench. Most don't. 3rd string? Again, unprecedented.
Quarterbacks are different. We are talking about the future of the franchise. Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc. have all redshirted their freshman years. Even Lamar Jackson. If John Schneider has identified his QB of the future, then Lock and Geno won't mean diddly jack shit as far as going forward. It doesn't matter where you drafted so long as you get the player that you wanted and have a plan. This shoving a square peg into a round hole stuff is for the birds.
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:13 pm
You couldn't put him on the practice squad, another team could claim him
Right, so you would have to practice squad Lock, or carry three QBs. Which? Basically means you draft Richardson you just paid Lock to later cut him. Not sure how that effects things right now. Maybe they can easily cut Lock before the season and it won't effect them much. I just think it's an odd philosophy. Let's sign a QB to later cut him, or carry three QBs.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:

Trey Lance!

sorry I totally agree with your actual point, but I had an answer so had to share haha

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:19 pm
Michael K. wrote:
auroraave wrote:

Quarterbacks are different. We are talking about the future of the franchise. Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc. have all redshirted their freshman years. Even Lamar Jackson. If John Schneider has identified his QB of the future, then Lock and Geno won't mean diddly jack shit as far as going forward.
I just broke it all down! 10 of 14 playoff teams had QBs that started as Rookies. The others were lead by Free Agents and didn't have another first round pick at QB, and CERTAINLY not one taken 5th over all.

Good Lord, if the only three you can come up with are Mahomes, Jackson (who had a role as a rookie) and Aaron Fucking Rodgers. Don't you think that is a rare occurrence? Then, let's go look at what Mahomes, Rodgers and Jackson did in college in relation to Richardson.
Last edited by Michael K. on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm
Michael K. wrote:

Trey Lance!

sorry I totally agree with your actual point, but I had an answer so had to share haha
He was the starter year two....and got hurt. But yeah, more of the Pat Mahomes type. He certainly didn't get drafted the year that the 49ers signed two Free Agents though.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:24 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm
Michael K. wrote:

Trey Lance!

He was the starter year two....and got hurt. But yeah, more of the Pat Mahomes type. He certainly didn't get drafted the year that the 49ers signed two Free Agents though.
I'll put a $100 down it's a QB at 5!!!!

BET ME!!!!!!