Welcome Julian Love

Hasslecracked

Welcome Julian Love

Post by Hasslecracked » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:35 pm

Former Giants safety. 2 years, 12 million. Great depth piece. 121 tackles, 6 TFL, 2 picks, 1 sack last year and a 70 pff grade.

SeattleAddict

Re: Welcome Julian Love

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:47 pm

this one is a surprise, but he's a good one.

PFF describes him as a “Swiss Army Knife on the back end who rarely misses a tackle (greatly needed).” 154 line ups in the slot, 494 at FS

13 missed tackles total the past 3 years is the 2nd fewest of all safeties with at least 150 tackles

I have now watched the Broncos game from last year at least 5 times, and they mention that the Seahawks have big plans for 3-safety sets. Then Adams gets hurt and that whole idea gets thrown out. Makes me wonder if that's the plan, or if something is going to happen with one of Diggs or Adams?? Or is it simply they expect Neal to get offered a deal they can't match?

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 pm

Things have been very ambiguous with Adams and his recover. It's not an easy injury to recover from. This is likely another backstop move in case Adams isn't ready in September or if they decide to cut him in June.

The dead cap is too great to gain any benefit from cutting Diggs or Adams right now, and cutting either in June for cap space will do no good in FA. This move screams 'Adams Insurance Policy" all over it.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:57 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 pm
Things have been very ambiguous with Adams and his recover. It's not an easy injury to recover from. This is likely another backstop move in case Adams isn't ready in September or if they decide to cut him in June.

The dead cap is too great to gain any benefit from cutting Diggs or Adams right now, and cutting either in June for cap space will do no good in FA. This move screams 'Adams Insurance Policy" all over it.
100%

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:17 pm

Yes, this is absolutely Adams insurance. Watching him limp while running on the treadmill was probably enough for Johnny to see. And on the good side, Love is a faaaaaarrrrr better Safety in coverage, and it's arguable that he is a better tackler than Adams too. Now the downside he is not as fast (while healthy) as Adams. So, I am super excited about this signing. Love is really good.

He was a really, really good coverage corner while at Notre Dame. He was shutting down Clemson WR's while on the field at ND. Dude can play. Just not blitzer like Adams and as fast as Adams.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:18 pm

If we Cut Adams 6 million would be taken off immediately in our cap space. Almost 7 million. So, no way he can be cut. Mammoth cap implications.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Same for Disleys horrible contract too. Just not as big. 9 million for an oft injured non-dynamic TE.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 pm

Love got a 2 year $12M deal. I have a feeling Adams will get cut in June and take the $9.7M dead money hit.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:47 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 pm
Love got a 2 year $12M deal. I have a feeling Adams will get cut in June and take the $9.7M dead money hit.
I don't think so. It's POSSIBLE, not saying it isn't, but I don't think so. They'd have to cut him post June 1, and at that point, what are they going to spend the money on? All the free agents will be signed, the cap already managed. They could save more with a restructure than they could by cutting him.

But it's the Seahawks, so who knows.

They're signing free agents that should actually start (or at least compete for the starting job with hotshot rookies), though... and that is refreshing.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:02 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:47 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 pm
I don't think so. It's POSSIBLE, not saying it isn't, but I don't think so. They'd have to cut him post June 1, and at that point, what are they going to spend the money on? All the free agents will be signed, the cap already managed. They could save more with a restructure than they could by cutting him.

But it's the Seahawks, so who knows.

They're signing free agents that should actually start (or at least compete for the starting job with hotshot rookies), though... and that is refreshing.
Releasing him in June has nothing to do with spending the money elsewhere. Just simple economics, it's cheaper to cut him in June than it is in March.

Perhaps the had to sign Love to the 2 year if it was the price to pay for a backstop player. But I don't think this is the case with Love. How many Safeties do they need? We are at 4 capable safeties at this time if you believe Adams stays.